Reload this Page >

A question from hairdressers?

Wikiposts

A question from hairdressers?

Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough
Default A question from hairdressers?

Hi Guys. We are new in Vancouver. I am trying to replace my hair dryer and my ghd hair straightener but don't know which makes are the best and equivalent to my UK ghd which was fantastic. I have curly hair and I need a respond quite quickly. Pretty please. Many thanks
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:38 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A question from hairdressers?

I feel your pain

I know its going to take time but I would get some GHD's sent over to you. IMO there is nothing to rival them.

Just looked at GHD web site. They ship internationally.

Last edited by Miss Clinique; Aug 30th 2010 at 11:42 pm. Reason: update
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I feel your pain

I know its going to take time but I would get some GHD's sent over to you. IMO there is nothing to rival them.

Just looked at GHD web site. They ship internationally.
But I thought GHD doesn't work with the electricity here?! Last time I was on holiday it didn't worm up at all!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry girls to butt in but I dont use GHD however my wife used hers last over there and they worked OK they took longer to heat up though!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:22 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I have no hair at all, so don't comment from a position of strength, but I do seem to recall from countless previous threads on these magic hair-straightening devices that the most recent GHDs are dual voltage. A search on GHDs (search function in the fleshy-pink bar at the top of the page) should sort you out.

on edit:
this post seems fairly unequivocal
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=10

Last edited by Oakvillian; Aug 31st 2010 at 7:25 am.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:37 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Older versions of GHDs are not dual voltage but do have a hidden European 2 pin round plug hidden inside the UK 3 prong plug. New versions are dual voltage though.

My older GHDs wore out 2 transformers here so I stopped using them although they do still work when travelling back to the UK. When I was looking for a new pair I didn't want to pay the very high price for GHDs so last year I went along to my local Winners store and wrote down the brands they had on offer then researched them online. I landed up paying only $40 for Prouss Turbo Silk and I think they are just as good as GHDs.

http://www.isobeauty.com/index.php?o...d=6&product=21
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:45 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have some Vidal Sassoon ceramic straighteners bought v cheaply in Walmart. They are fine but I've never used GHDs so can't really compare and to put it in perspective I think Dysons are a load of crappy hype too.

So there, buy a cheap ceramic set and see if they work for you. Hair dryer is also Sassoon, Ecostyle. Works on my thick frizzy hair.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:49 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heidi40
But I thought GHD doesn't work with the electricity here?! Last time I was on holiday it didn't worm up at all!
They are dual voltage now. So you can use them anywhere in the world. No need to be without your GHD's
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Been using my dual voltage GHD's for almost 2 years here with no problem. Thery heat up quicker here than they did in the Uk too (12 secs compared to 17!). I don't think there is anything to compete with GHD's. As for hairdryers, I brought a dual voltage one with me so am still using that (Revlon).
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Guys many many thanks for your responds. I will get a new GHD now.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

marie 22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought over my 12 month old GHDs and they work great!!! Just need an adapter. Nothing even comes close over here. I have seen however GHD's on sale in the Cross Iron Mills but they were over $450 !!! Crazy!!!
Hair Dryers are rubbish here, but unlike straightners you can get used to it!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

FStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really nice

Hi there,

A friend of mine just bought a new hair straightener - the company is called Amika and they do hair dryers as well. You are looking at between $100 - $250 where you find them. My friend got hers for $100 and they warm up in 10 seconds and work better than GHDs in my opinion! I will be buying some once my now GHDs die! They have lots of fun colours and patterns as well!

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to know why the Ladies With Unstraight Hair always seem to be in Canada - this topic hardly ever comes up in the US forums
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I'd like to know why the Ladies With Unstraight Hair always seem to be in Canada - this topic hardly ever comes up in the US forums
There again, neither do block heaters.

Clearly, Canada attracts a curlier class of immigrant.