Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A question about some small towns in Alberta.

A question about some small towns in Alberta.

Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:57 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A question about some small towns in Alberta.

After looking at that rental website above seems like there is a few nice affordable duplex's in Airdrie. Only 300 more a month than over here for a small home to rent. Hmm interesting.

Just one of those things not knowing the area and such again, never been to Calgary.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:53 pm

Someone I know told me this today about areas surrounding Calgary. Wondered what people thought of what was said. They recommended Okotoks.

Chestermere is a longer commute to the city because it's a two-lane road that brings you in from there. Airdrie is about a good 30-40 minutes in good weather, up to an hour if the weather is poor.

Airdrie is not the greatest choice because all of the severe weather happens on the north side of the city.

Calgary's divided in 4...NE, NW, SW, SE

NE is the most ethnically diverse, but has the highest crime rate

The NW is nice, but gets hit with all the severe hail, most snow, most rain, most wind.

SW has the best overall quality of life and weather

SE is industrial but does have new residential areas to the extreme south.

The SE is more prone to flooding because the river is on that side.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Someone I know told me this today about areas surrounding Calgary. Wondered what people thought of what was said. They recommended Okotoks.

Chestermere is a longer commute to the city because it's a two-lane road that brings you in from there. Airdrie is about a good 30-40 minutes in good weather, up to an hour if the weather is poor.

Airdrie is not the greatest choice because all of the severe weather happens on the north side of the city.

The NW is nice, but gets hit with all the severe hail, most snow, most rain, most wind.

Does the person that told you that live in the sw?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Does the person that told you that live in the sw?
No they don't

I wanted to know if what was said was facts or not as I don't know the areas and am trying to figure them out. I don't want biased view which is why i posted here to see what was the truth or not..
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush

Me personally i would recommend the NW or the SE to people coming to Calgary... I live in the SE so am biased of course esp now Stoney trail has opened down to the SE. SW to me is a little more expensive and not as easy a commute if your driving...NW is less expensive and has some nice areas..i dont really see much wrong with Airdrie if you want to live out of town.