Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A question about some small towns in Alberta.

A question about some small towns in Alberta.

Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:28 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question about some small towns in Alberta.

I've been told that Cochrane, Chestermere and Airdrie are all small towns with easy access to the city, now does anyone know what an average rental house costs around these areas? For a 3 bed minimum? Tia
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about some small towns in Alberta.

I reckon you could be looking at $1,000 to $1,500 for a bssement suite or 2 bedroom condo in Cochrane, and probably from around the $2,200 (up to as much as you want to pay) for a house.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:49 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I've been told that Cochrane, Chestermere and Airdrie are all small towns with easy access to the city, now does anyone know what an average rental house costs around these areas? For a 3 bed minimum? Tia
i would hardly call Airdrie a small town..has a population of 45,000..i would almost say it is now part of the Calgary conurbation..a bit like St. Albert is to Edmonton.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i would hardly call Airdrie a small town..has a population of 45,000..i would almost say it is now part of the Calgary conurbation..a bit like St. Albert is to Edmonton.
Well small in the sense of not living in the city and being near to commute.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
I reckon you could be looking at $1,000 to $1,500 for a bssement suite or 2 bedroom condo in Cochrane, and probably from around the $2,200 (up to as much as you want to pay) for a house.
Seems like even though our wages would increase the cost of living is so high would it really give us more disposable income.. Thats the biggie
Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like even though our wages would increase the cost of living is so high would it really give us more disposable income.. Thats the biggie
Is it likely a more permanent move? A mortgage would be less than rent - but if you need the flexibility then rentals in this whole area are sought after and highly priced.

You could buy a house in Cochrane from the $280,000's up to several million. Something in the $300's to $400's would be more than respectable. I don't know your budget, and whether that sounds horrendous () but a mortgage of some $1500 a month suddenly seems favourable.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 11:04 pm

Mortgage might not be an immediate option might only be able to rent.. Seems like we wouldn't be better off to be honest once you try and find cost of living.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:17 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends have just bought in Chestermere, there seems to be a bit of a boom housing wise, with multiple bids on houses. Could be due to the 1% rental availability in and around Calgary.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Some friends have just bought in Chestermere, there seems to be a bit of a boom housing wise, with multiple bids on houses. Could be due to the 1% rental availability in and around Calgary.
I did notice that I couldn't find many rentals.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:59 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

What do you consider "easy access to the city"?
What kind of travel time are you happy with?
Will you be commuting every day during the peak?
If commuting downtown, to where?

Just that getting into certain parts of the City might be easier from certain outlying small towns than others. e.g. I probably wouldn't want the faff of getting to the NE or SE of the City peak time commute wise if I lived in Cochrane but downtown would be doable as would anything to the west of the City.

You might find a little more rental inventory in the city suburbs and you could start off there for a few months maybe then check out the small towns for yourself? May be easier to get to work, city centre, etc at the beginning until you find your feet.

To be honest, you could pick a house type and find it in both the suburbs of Calgary and in the small towns - they are pretty homogenous these days!

P.S. Have you looked at rentfaster.ca - gives you an idea of the type of inventory available (you can do a search for the smaller towns you mentioned) but bear in mind they are going pretty fast right now.

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Feb 5th 2014 at 3:04 am.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:13 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I lnow on local FB forum someone had posted about requiring a rental (house in Red Deer) for $1100. General (actually every) reply was that you'd find nothing below $1500. So it's not too much better a little further up north.

Obviously 'proper' small town Alberta (ie 5k and less people) are going to be a little cheaper to rent but then you have the whole travelling distance issue.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Finding an affordable rental within easy commute of Calgary
is becoming more and more of a challenge for many people.
All the best
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
What do you consider "easy access to the city"?
What kind of travel time are you happy with?
Will you be commuting every day during the peak?
If commuting downtown, to where?

Just that getting into certain parts of the City might be easier from certain outlying small towns than others. e.g. I probably wouldn't want the faff of getting to the NE or SE of the City peak time commute wise if I lived in Cochrane but downtown would be doable as would anything to the west of the City.

You might find a little more rental inventory in the city suburbs and you could start off there for a few months maybe then check out the small towns for yourself? May be easier to get to work, city centre, etc at the beginning until you find your feet.

To be honest, you could pick a house type and find it in both the suburbs of Calgary and in the small towns - they are pretty homogenous these days!

P.S. Have you looked at rentfaster.ca - gives you an idea of the type of inventory available (you can do a search for the smaller towns you mentioned) but bear in mind they are going pretty fast right now.
Well I have no idea of the area and no idea where my man would find work, all I know is when he's qualified in around two years (ish) there seems to be more jobs available in AB than NS. I would work from home, if I could get business. I run a family home daycare, he works as a heavy duty mechanic. Its worrying how little rental opportunities that are available right now. We are just sourcing out the possible idea of maybe having to move as bother our salaries would double by moving his nay even triple.. And looking at the current job marker for him in NS there are 9 jobs for him and 9 pages of jobs in AB
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:59 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I would work from home, if I could get business. I run a family home daycare
You could set yourself up anywhere in or around Calgary and get some business! Daycares charge anything from $600 a month per child upwards (usually upwards) round these parts - just check out kijiji for the competition!

Also, not sure if you are thinking of making the move now or later, but the rental thing seems pretty cyclical over here - when we arrived back in 2007 the rental market was pretty tight and we ended up paying $1500 a month for a 2 bed apartment up in Panorama Hills. Our mortgage these days is a lot less than that! Things eased up for a while and then they seemed to be building condos everywhere and inventory got better and prices slackened off a bit. Just saying if you are maybe waiting until your other half is qualified before moving things may be different on the rental front?

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Feb 5th 2014 at 1:08 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
You could set yourself up anywhere in or around Calgary and get some business! Daycares charge anything from $600 a month per child upwards (usually upwards) round these parts - just check out kijiji for the competition!

Also, not sure if you are thinking of making the move now or later, but the rental thing seems pretty cyclical over here - when we arrived back in 2007 the rental market was pretty tight and we ended up paying $1500 a month for a 2 bed apartment up in Panorama Hills. Our mortgage these days is a lot less than that! Things eased up for a while and then they seemed to be building condos everywhere and inventory got better and prices slackened off a bit. Just saying if you are maybe waiting until your other half is qualified before moving things may be different on the rental front?
Yeah true, who knows what can change in two years, I'm not even sure if ill like AB, I don't hate NS just can be hard financially here some days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.