Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

question about RVs

question about RVs

Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default question about RVs

Do RVs have a safe???? Was wondering where to keep passports, cash etc on our trip over in couple of weeks.

Cheers

Mel

Last edited by Strawberry; Jun 24th 2009 at 11:59 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:59 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about RVs

I think the closest you will get is a lockable glove box.

But there are lots of little cubby holes in an RV where you can hide things.

I've never heard of an RV being broken into, but it must happen,
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Yea thought so, thats what I told my security conscious hubby!!! we will be able to hide stuff.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawberry
Yea thought so, thats what I told my security conscious hubby!!! we will be able to hide stuff.
What if someone teefs the whole thing?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

yup there is always that, but I assume millions of peeps use RVS and not get it teefed......

teef (what a fab word!!!)

Mel
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

We have always kept them with us even on boat trips where I knew we would be wet. I took small dry sacks to keep them dry- surprisingly! Otherwise you'll just have to hide them, under the beds in the dirty laundry always seems a good bet to me!! If they are that desperate they can have em! I always make copies though of passports, DL etc and keep separate just in case. You'll just have to be imaginative! We have left very expensive camera stuff and laptops in RVs, but hidden out of sight.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:31 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

A "professional" burgler can/will enter your RV and will have removed all your valuables within a matter of minutes. You cannot hide them sufficiently well. Take anything you cannot afford to lose with you when you leave the vehicle, or rent a SDB at a bank close to the RV rental office. Put in all valuables/passports that you will not require on your trip and pickup upon your drop-off of the RV.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:59 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

If your realy concerned you can buy passport belts that are worn next to the skin from most outdoors shops
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:16 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny how we worry about these things.

Many years ago my parents went to visit friends in Argentina, it was just after the Falklands war and the British Embassy was shut due to lack of diplomatic relations.

Naturally they had their passports stolen.

They had to go to the Swiss Embassy to apply for new passports.

It was a hi-lite of their trip, they were treated like royalty by the Swiss embassy staff, and gave them a `talking point`for years afterwards.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:35 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is easy to worry way too much about these things, and some of the replies here accentuate that. My advice (based on being robbed while in Mexico last year) is to make sure you have good insurance and a decent record of all your cards, passports etc. I had the cardsafe service with AMEX and it took one phone call to cancel what was stolen. Everything we lost was paid for on insurance. Yes there was some hassle, but not that bad. Do what you sensibly can but don't get too paranoid IMO
Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
A "professional" burgler can/will enter your RV and will have removed all your valuables within a matter of minutes. You cannot hide them sufficiently well. Take anything you cannot afford to lose with you when you leave the vehicle, or rent a SDB at a bank close to the RV rental office. Put in all valuables/passports that you will not require on your trip and pickup upon your drop-off of the RV.
good idea only there are 6 of us and we are picking up Van and dropping off at Calgary.. I will get copies of everything though,

Cheers all.

Mel
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:21 am
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

Whilst it is useful to have passport numbers, if you fly with some airlines (and are a UK citizen) sometimes they will fly you back without them. Three years ago we lost two of our families passports on the day of our return trip to the UK. We rang British Embassy / BA call centres etc who all said you need to apply for an Emergency passport - this was Friday afternoon, and they were shut until Monday. It was the most stressful hour of my life trying to find a human to talk to. Finally a friendly lady answered the phone at the British Consulalte in Vancouver who said if you are flying with BA (and you flew out with them) they can ring Heathrow Immigration on your behalf and get approval to return you home. She siad just turn up at the airport as normal.

We turned up to check in at Vancouver, asked for the BA Supervisor and told her our problem. She looked up our passport number on their database (as we had flown out with them) and then rang Heathrow Immigration. She came back with a referance number and said all was fine, just give this number to the agent at passport control. I nearly kissed her.

We arrived at passport control, gave them the number and they were expecting us and let us go straight through. Big smiles all around.

Not sure all airlines would have been quite so helpful or had the contacts at Heathrow, I guess sometimes you get what you pay for.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:36 pm
RETIRED Realtor

I scan all of my important documents, and have an e-mail account that I only use for this, where I store them.

That way I know where they are, and have reasonably easy access to copies whenever I need them.