Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about realtor for buying a house

Wikiposts

Question about realtor for buying a house

Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:14 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about realtor for buying a house

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This is true.

I think this is to misunderstand a realtor's motivation. In BC the standard commission rate is 7% on the first $100,000 and 2.5% on the balance (I say standard because it is very negotiable). The listing realtor gets 51% and the selling realtor 49% (I think, but stand to be corrected). Therefore, for each additional $10,000 the listing agent's client spends they will get $122.50 in commission, less whatever the brokerage takes.

A good realtor will probably want to take their clients to a slightly more expensive house than their budget just so their clients are aware of what the extra dollars can buy (just as they should show them a slightly cheaper house). However, the financial motivation to sell their clients a house they cannot afford is far outweighed by the references they get from happy customers.

The realtors who make serious money spend years and years building up a reputation as the "go to" people in their neighborhood. One disgruntled client can ruin years of hard work.
I'm sure this is what happens normally - and I expect a good realtor (working for either the seller or buyer) would prefer volume over prices anyway. However I would only ever be vague about my budget to any realtor - I simply wouldn't trust them with that information.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:51 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
... However I would only ever be vague about my budget to any realtor - I simply wouldn't trust them with that information.
The trouble is, that if your realtor does not not know a) how much you want to spend and b) how much you would spend if the perfect house came on the market, it makes it difficult for them to find you the house that suits you best.

When we bought our current home the market was crazy. Houses in White Rock and the surrounding area would spend a day or two on the market if they were in any way sensibly priced. Our realtor took us to one house that was in an ideal location. We knew that it was a 30 year old house but didn't realize that nothing inside had been done for 30 years.

We would have offered near the asking price but she said no, the asking price was for a renovated house and in the condition it was in we should offer at least $50k less. We did and it was rejected.

Two weeks later a house in the next street came on the market. It was on a better lot, had some renovations done and was asking $50,000 less than the previous house.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:27 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The trouble is, that if your realtor does not not know a) how much you want to spend and b) how much you would spend if the perfect house came on the market, it makes it difficult for them to find you the house that suits you best.

When we bought our current home the market was crazy. Houses in White Rock and the surrounding area would spend a day or two on the market if they were in any way sensibly priced. Our realtor took us to one house that was in an ideal location. We knew that it was a 30 year old house but didn't realize that nothing inside had been done for 30 years.

We would have offered near the asking price but she said no, the asking price was for a renovated house and in the condition it was in we should offer at least $50k less. We did and it was rejected.

Two weeks later a house in the next street came on the market. It was on a better lot, had some renovations done and was asking $50,000 less than the previous house.
Oh you've got to give them an idea for sure. But the exact amount - I won't be telling them that. And as the saying goes, if you are not embarrassed by your offer, you are offering too much
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:28 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimf
Is there anything stopping a buyer from using more than one agent for the purchase? A rule that limits a buyer to using one agent only might be considered to be a limit on competition against the interest of the buyer.

If a buyer uses one agent for a purchase and after a while is not satisfied with the service and changes to another agent is there any liability for any cost to the first agent?
If you have started working with a realtor then it is common curtosy to continue. To use two realtors at the same time for no reason would be wasting the realtors time. If they sense you are wasting their time then how much are they going to be committed to working with you.

In Alberta we have a buyers contract which some agents use to commit the buyer to them. Some of them even offer 'free services' like cell phone use, airport pickup etc etc and then if you do not buy through them they charge you between $500-$1600.

Of course not all realtors are like this and I do not even make anyone sign the form. If you don't like me, and don't want to use me as your agent then I would rather move on than waste my time showing you houses if you are going to then go with an other agent and buy a house through them.

The other issue to consider is normally when people buy a house it is the most expensive purchase they are going to make. You have to feel confident that the agent is working for you and in your best interests.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
If you have started working with a realtor then it is common curtosy to continue. To use two realtors at the same time for no reason would be wasting the realtors time. If they sense you are wasting their time then how much are they going to be committed to working with you.

In Alberta we have a buyers contract which some agents use to commit the buyer to them. Some of them even offer 'free services' like cell phone use, airport pickup etc etc and then if you do not buy through them they charge you between $500-$1600.

Of course not all realtors are like this and I do not even make anyone sign the form. If you don't like me, and don't want to use me as your agent then I would rather move on than waste my time showing you houses if you are going to then go with an other agent and buy a house through them.

The other issue to consider is normally when people buy a house it is the most expensive purchase they are going to make. You have to feel confident that the agent is working for you and in your best interests.
This dones't work so well if you aren't buying into an area (which I guess is what most people do). We are looking for a type of house which could be in any number of areas around vancouver - will a single realtor be able to offer advice for both mission and sooke say?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:59 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

This dones't work so well if you aren't buying into an area (which I guess is what most people do). We are looking for a type of house which could be in any number of areas around vancouver - will a single realtor be able to offer advice for both mission and sooke say?
i can not say about Mission and Sooke as i do not know the areas. I agree that local knowledge with a realtor can be a good thing.

I am allowed to do Calgary, Airdrie, Okotoks, Strathmore and of course Cochrane and all the small towns around.

If you go so somewhere like Banff or Canmore then it best to get a local realtor. I can sell and buy there, but for some unknown reason local realtors do not always use the MLS and you may get the best deal with a local realtor.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:55 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

No realtor can be an expert in areas THAT far apart. We work in Vancouver and the north shore and whenever someone is looking outside those areas we refer them to someone we trust in the area. Of course the realtor can act for you, but their knowledge of the market is not going to be much help.

Look for someone in each area that you can trust.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Jun 30th 2009, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
No realtor can be an expert in areas THAT far apart. We work in Vancouver and the north shore and whenever someone is looking outside those areas we refer them to someone we trust in the area. Of course the realtor can act for you, but their knowledge of the market is not going to be much help.

Look for someone in each area that you can trust.

Warmly,

Frank
Our actual plan is to use a word of mouth recommendation when we can - but if we can't then treat the first few viewings as kind of interviews and pick one of those realtors that we do like from the houses we don't (such that we aren't using the same realtor as the vendor)