Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Originally Posted by paolob99
Hi,

I paid $275 but my kennel is 14kg and my dog 34kg

We go 9th April

(or not if I have got this wrong with the weights!)
Thanks for posting this, it prompted me into action, and I've just booked our bigger dog onto our flight as excess baggage, he's the 23kg one in a 15kg crate. I checked with the Air Transat guy on the phone about the weight and he was certain it was not an issue, the main thing they care about is the type of crate, not the weight of it and its contents (of course it can't be one of the no-no breeds, and we must have the right documentation etc..).
So the cost of moving our airedale has just dropped from £737 to $275

Thanks again everyone for posting their experiences, it really helps.

Last edited by Bucks_Family; Mar 20th 2013 at 9:58 pm. Reason: added more info
Old Mar 27th 2013, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Tysonkia26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by veereid
I would be grateful for any recommendations of good and reasonably priced Intl pet transport companies from UK to Alberta, Canada. I might require some boarding of my dog prior to transportation so that should e included if possible.

The company is called Pet Air UK, web address www.petairuk.com.
The woman who i dealt with was called Jackie. Her contact details are:

Jackie I'anson
PetAir UK Travel Consultant
Direct Tel: 01725 551032
OfficeTel: 01725 551124
Fax: 01725 551206
E-mail: [email protected]

Here are the different packages they do,

Our Silver quote includes the following:
Airline ticket with Air Transat from Gatwick to Calgary Canada
Airline surcharges (Handling / Security / War Insurance / Fuel / Airway Bill / Transit Fees)
Custom made PetAir UK wooden IATA approved travel container (see below cm)
Export customs entry
Airport visit on the day of travel and check-in
The Gold service also includes:
Collection from home postcode SK postcode
Overnight stay with us
Application for DEFRA paperwork
Pre-travel veterinary health examination
Fitness to fly certificate (Vet completed document)
Acclimatisation Declaration (Vet completed document)
Completion of DEFRA paperwork
Transport to the airport on the day of flight
Check-in

We went for the Gold service and all we had to do was arrange for them to pick up the animals, everything else was taken care of. We didn't get the Rabies vaccination for our animals, they will say you don't need one, but we had a bit of hassle at customs so i would say to get it done! We did a lot of research for our animals and found these were the cheapest. We have two cats and a very large dog which at the time was 40+kg. The prices of ours (so you know what to expect) We can provide the above services for a total cost of: Silver £1462.10 and Gold £2165.10 (VAT not applicable as destination is outside EU). Obviously it all depends on weight! Also we had them build us the crates as then there is no way they can get refused ad they have to be accepted by the airline!

Hope this helps
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:21 am
Just Joined

rpurdie will become famous soon enoughrpurdie will become famous soon enough

Quotes for 1 small cat from LHR to Toronto - all offering much the same (cage, airfare, customs fees, shipping documentation etc):

Airpets - £1104
Petair UK - £606
Parair - £665
Passportforpets - £460

I called BA and they don't accept pets unless through a 3rd party so will need to use one of this lot!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpurdie
Quotes for 1 small cat from LHR to Toronto - all offering much the same (cage, airfare, customs fees, shipping documentation etc):

Airpets - £1104
Petair UK - £606
Parair - £665
Passportforpets - £460

I called BA and they don't accept pets unless through a 3rd party so will need to use one of this lot!
Are you sure? On their website they say they recommend to use a 3rd party but I couldn't see that you had to. "..British Airways World Cargo highly recommends the professional and very experienced services of a Pet Travel Agent if you are considering transporting your pet overseas.."

You could use a different airline - Air Canada or Air Transat from Gatwick.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

hi doing this for a friend ...yup his wee dogs coming transat (glasgow)..----..pearson ..
but how tae get to winnipeg?? do air jazz,,,westjet carry dogs.
jimmy.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
hi doing this for a friend ...yup his wee dogs coming transat (glasgow)..----..pearson ..
but how tae get to winnipeg?? do air jazz,,,westjet carry dogs.
jimmy.
http://bit.ly/10VIFsG

Westjet Pets

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 28th 2013 at 7:31 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

thank you ..
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

We thought all was sorted for our dogs - however we went to Vets yesterday and the receptionist asked us about an export certificate. Did anyone who took their animals themselves need one of these?

Don't remember needing one last time, the reason she was asking was that she had just filled one in for a dog traveling to Turkey.

Does Canada need one?

Thanks

R
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
We thought all was sorted for our dogs - however we went to Vets yesterday and the receptionist asked us about an export certificate. Did anyone who took their animals themselves need one of these?

Don't remember needing one last time, the reason she was asking was that she had just filled one in for a dog traveling to Turkey.

Does Canada need one?

Thanks

R
We have been advised that you do need one and we've spoken to DEFRA who were very helpful. The form was simple and they are going to send it direct to the vets in time for the final certification that the dog is fit to travel.

Good luck.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:16 pm
Banned

You only need a DEFRA if you are not having your pet inoculated against rabies. You can also choose not to have it inoculated nor get a DEFRA but pay a higher import fee.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets

Importing pets to Canada - Govt. website.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1331876307796

Specifically about dogs: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../canin3e.shtml