Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

dollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Originally Posted by shunter1977
Hey Dolly, thank you for that The kids go back to school next week, i'll give you a call and we can arrange a get together. Freya loves 3 mile bend as she loves to run with other dogs but just sometimes we've walked with other dogs that are a bit more aggressive with they're play and she's still quite young so I wondered if it was that. It'll be nice for her to get to know one dog
No problem, speak to you soon .........
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the dogs...I am due to get my dog vaccinated on friday for his pet passport....

but someone told me today that i can only travel 6 months after the test
can't travel with my dog, I needn't waste more time planning

I am downcast at the mo, if this is true
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

TBH - we are taking both pets ourselves, as we have done it before.

Ladyhaye are good, but to pay 180 for them to take the dog to the airport is a bit much.

We have already:

Got a pet passport (Rabies up to date) Going to worm and tick before we leave)

Booked Airline tickets for Dog and US

Mentioned one on Goods accompanying list and one on Goods to follow.

Brought the relevant Cages (IATA approved)

Booked them in to the vets (day before) for fit to travel certificate.

Hope we aint forgot anything.

Rob
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice

My fiancée brought her dog over to the UK back in 2009 in a Giant vari-kennel using Worldwide Animal Travel (canada side agents) and James Cargo (JCS Livestock, UK agents) and we're going back the same route. LHR direct to Edmonton. Wished we could have gone to Calgary (cheaper) but by the time you factor in the additional travel / waiting time, no way José!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolob99
Regarding the dogs...I am due to get my dog vaccinated on friday for his pet passport....

Which country are you traveling from? Is it considered rabies free?

Might be worth reading this and finding a defra approved vet.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../canin3e.shtml

Option 2 may work ? Then go through the passport in Canada.

We have them already, so not an expert - but worth trying !
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

rosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nice

Originally Posted by veereid
I would be grateful for any recommendations of good and reasonably priced Intl pet transport companies from UK to Alberta, Canada. I might require some boarding of my dog prior to transportation so that should e included if possible.
We used Dave from PetsAway to bring one dog and four cats back home from Canada. He was really helpful and we had no hitches unlike our experience going to toronto from the UK where our two dogs were so badly treated at Swiss Port.
I have a Giant Vari Kennel for sale - this is the size recommended for Golden Retreivers to ensure the airlines do not have a problem although this is different from the recommendations by Vari Kennel
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by paolob99

I am in the process of getting quotes at the moment for my cat. This was sent to me from Airpets regarding taking cats and dogs into Canada, thought you might find it useful as the rules changed about the blood test thing a while back, think it's only when you come into the UK now. Hope you got it sorted.

NOTES FOR GUIDANCE FOR DOGS & CATS TO CANADA

1. Rabies vaccination, this is still optional as the UK is Rabies free, however we do advise this to be done at least 30 days before export. Your pet is then immediately protected from the day of arrival

2. Microchip identification

3 Health certificate / “Fit to Fly” certificate, issued by a vet within 5 days of export, this is included in our Airpets quotation. DEFRA export papers are NOT required if your cat/dog has been micro- chipped & has had the Rabies vaccine.

4. DEFRA export certificate, only required if your cat/dog has not been micro-chipped and had the Rabies vaccination, signed by a vet within 5 days of export. Airpets will arrange this for you if applicable

There is no quarantine for cats & dogs on arrival in the Canada. A PETS passport is NOT required to move your pet to Canada, however, if you feel that you may be returning to the UK at some point, we do strongly advise that you obtain the full PETS passport. This can be arranged through your local vet practice.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Has anyone used Flypets ?
http://www.flypets.co.uk
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Duncan at Skymaster in Manchester (they only fly from Manchester). He is soooo helpful and you can haggle them down on pricing.

We boarded our dog for I think 5 days before she flew out.

How heavy your dog is depends on whether you can fly them as excess baggage. If you have a dog the size of a cow like mine you will have to use a pet company.

Hope that helps!
Hi

No you dont have to use a pet company to ship a larger dog, you can do it yourself and it is a third of the price charged by those pet companies. they have to go as Cargo.

We used Air Canada to ship a Labrador into Toronto then onto a further flight to Windsor Ontario, cost of flight was around £820 and we bought our own IATA approved sky kennel at £140.

We booked her through Air Canada, straightforward procedure, My husband was in the Uk so he took her for the 8am flight from Heathrow, I picked her up from Windsor in Ontario at 4pm. no problem whatsoever.

Of course this wont help if you either go before your pet can and need to use a service to include kennels, or cant physically get them to the airport.

Dont be put off by thinking it is dreadfully complicated to do it yourself.....it is simple. Air Canada will tell you what paperwork they need and you just have to make sure that the immunisations are up to date and you have included Rabies vaccination.....need a fitness to fly certificate from the vet no more than a few days before the flight...and you are good to go. my husband attached the paperwork to the Sky kennel and emailed me scanned copies, incase the airline lost her paperwork....just as a precaution. Everything worked out perfectly.

Have a great day
stef
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

I spoke to Air Canada yesterday, they told me they no longer take pet from the general public, have to go through a pet shipper :-(
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi

No you dont have to use a pet company to ship a larger dog, you can do it yourself and it is a third of the price charged by those pet companies. they have to go as Cargo.

We used Air Canada to ship a Labrador into Toronto then onto a further flight to Windsor Ontario, cost of flight was around £820 and we bought our own IATA approved sky kennel at £140.

We booked her through Air Canada, straightforward procedure, My husband was in the Uk so he took her for the 8am flight from Heathrow, I picked her up from Windsor in Ontario at 4pm. no problem whatsoever.

Of course this wont help if you either go before your pet can and need to use a service to include kennels, or cant physically get them to the airport.

Dont be put off by thinking it is dreadfully complicated to do it yourself.....it is simple. Air Canada will tell you what paperwork they need and you just have to make sure that the immunisations are up to date and you have included Rabies vaccination.....need a fitness to fly certificate from the vet no more than a few days before the flight...and you are good to go. my husband attached the paperwork to the Sky kennel and emailed me scanned copies, incase the airline lost her paperwork....just as a precaution. Everything worked out perfectly.

Have a great day
stef
Oh forgot to add that you also have to have the pet microchipped and that number is entered on the fitness to fly certificate which is basically a letter from the vet
Stef
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bex1
I spoke to Air Canada yesterday, they told me they no longer take pet from the general public, have to go through a pet shipper :-(
I would call back and speak to Air Canada Cargo directly.
i appreciate that things could have changed since I shipped my dog, but you can book cargo without being a business as you can book for the pet to travel as excess baggage on the same flight of you...size permitting of course. I know that a lot of other passenger airlines will not allow you to book pets directly, but I think Air Canada Cargo is different, that was the case when we did it.

Please let me know the outcome, then I will adapt my future responses so as not to inadvertently mislead anyone.

Have a great day
Stef
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
I would call back and speak to Air Canada Cargo directly.
i appreciate that things could have changed since I shipped my dog, but you can book cargo without being a business as you can book for the pet to travel as excess baggage on the same flight of you...size permitting of course. I know that a lot of other passenger airlines will not allow you to book pets directly, but I think Air Canada Cargo is different, that was the case when we did it.

Please let me know the outcome, then I will adapt my future responses so as not to inadvertently mislead anyone.

Have a great day
Stef
I'm not phoning them again, as I only spoke to them yesterday afternoon. First I spoke with sales (number direct from the Air Canada cargo website), who told me I couldn't do it myself and then he gave me another number for Cargo because i had another query and they confirmed it. Annoying because I wanted to do it myself. I think Air Transat still take pets direct as I saw someone on here took their dog recently. If you're unsure of my info feel free to call Cargo yourself for assurance and if they tell you to the contrary I will be very please :-)
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:11 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bex1
Air Transat will fly dogs cargo, I am this minute getting a quote for a collie x springer
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:47 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I used Transfur - they were great and managed to sort a route that meant my dog was delivered to the airport nearest to me, not just to the nearest international airport, which would have meant a 5 hour drive from airport to home. So although they weren't the cheapest quote (or the most expensive for that matter) they actually turned out to be less expensive and less stressful than the others.

Also, if going from Gatwick, they are based near Horsham.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.