Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about money!

Question about money!

Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about money!

Originally Posted by Mrbadguy

Anyway thats what we decided to do, makes things easier, since getting charged 2.25% every time we use our cards abroad would cost a fortune over 3 months. Lets hope customs don't have a problem with that?!!
Nationwide don't have these charges for withdrawals abroad. Why would customs have a problem, the money is electronically transferred not lugged into the country in person.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Mrbadguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adele
Hi Mrbadguy

Just wondered if you might be on the same flight as me?! The 17.05 BA flight from LHR, arriving YVR 18.40?

(I'll be getting a connecting flight down from Manchester in the morning so will HOPEFULLY have lots of time to check out Terminal 5 before the flight to YVR!)

Adele
Yes i think i am, we leave terminal 5 at 1705 and arrive at 1940 we are flying with BA to Vancouver.
We have never flown before so are nervous!! My 9 year old son, said to me when we were eating our christmas dinner "This could be my last christmas ever!!" He thinks the plane is going to crash bless him!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by G586
Nationwide don't have these charges for withdrawals abroad. Why would customs have a problem, the money is electronically transferred not lugged into the country in person.
I just meant because we opened a bank account in there country, they might think that was an odd thing to do, if we were there for only 3 months. I just heard that Canadian customs are tight as f**k!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i think i am, we leave terminal 5 at 1705 and arrive at 1940 we are flying with BA to Vancouver.
We have never flown before so are nervous!! My 9 year old son, said to me when we were eating our christmas dinner "This could be my last christmas ever!!" He thinks the plane is going to crash bless him!!
Awww, first flight!...so if I see a stressed 9 year old travelling with equally stresssed parents then it's probably your family! Try not to worry too much, the jet lag and boredom is the worst bit (though you'll be occupied looking after each other so the time will probably go really quickly!).

I'll be the one sitting on my own glued to my mp3 player looking all emotional and rough :-)
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Awww, first flight!...so if I see a stressed 9 year old travelling with equally stresssed parents then it's probably your family! Try not to worry too much, the jet lag and boredom is the worst bit (though you'll be occupied looking after each other so the time will probably go really quickly!).

I'll be the one sitting on my own glued to my mp3 player looking all emotional and rough :-)
I see you actually have PR!! We are still waiting to see if our PNP does actually go through in the new year. What job do you have in Vancouver? My husband is a automotive mechanic, with a possible job in richmond. He also has other jobs on the go in Whistler and Pemberton.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

just a couple of very important points as our exeperince is different from other posters in this thread

yes you can open a canadian bank account from the uk without being in canada

no you dont need a canadain address or anything else canadian in fact it wouldnt matter if you had ever set foot in canada
the bank , HSBC just use there canadian HQ as " your" home address.

you dont even need to be PR or TWP BUNAC or anything else

we opened one months before arrival , we didnt even need to go into a canadain branch to activate anything

we came as purely visitors in fact we are still visitors 8 months later

we have also got a canadian credit card just as visitors without any problems( a must have for online shopping as you cant use a debit card) this was from scotia bank no credit history or anything else needed just walked in off the street really simple

please dont overstress about canadian customs
so much doom gloom and fear spread on here enough to make your hair fall out

good luck
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

ribtickle is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps we have been lucky, but opened a HSBC Bank account at Toronto Main from the UK. Yes I was a first direct / HSBC customer and I had to provide some savings to go into the account - £1000 but its been open for the past 2 years almost and we have cards and online access to the account. There is even a uk number you can phone to go through to their call centre for queries. I used it when setting up on line access. We have bank statements sent here to the uk everymonth and have had no problems after the inital 10 week delay in setting up the account.

As for using my normal uk account in Canada, as with credit cards, just give the company a ring, tell them where and when you are there and they will put a clearance on your account for that period.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I see you actually have PR!! We are still waiting to see if our PNP does actually go through in the new year. What job do you have in Vancouver? My husband is a automotive mechanic, with a possible job in richmond. He also has other jobs on the go in Whistler and Pemberton.
Yes I've got PR so it will be the big landing moment for me when I get to YVR!

No job to go to, starting to apply for things now as have just prepared my resume and a template cover letter so I'm giving things a go as they come up. If nothing comes of that then I'll be going back to the temping agencies I worked for before when I arrive and will hope to find something temporary while looking for permanent jobs. My background is in office admin/EA/tourism so I have a broad range of skills gained across different countries to offer rather than a trade.

Good luck with your trip and the job leads! Also hope you enjoy exploring Vancouver and the surrounding area as it's your first time over there - January's not prime tourist season unless you are into wintersports but it's a fantastic city all year round anyway. Just curious about you taking your son out of school for 3 months - were the school and education authority ok with it?

All the best...and if you need any reassurance about the flight then maybe look me up in terminal 5 and we can go for a stronf drink to calm the nerves!

Adele x
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Yes I've got PR so it will be the big landing moment for me when I get to YVR!

No job to go to, starting to apply for things now as have just prepared my resume and a template cover letter so I'm giving things a go as they come up. If nothing comes of that then I'll be going back to the temping agencies I worked for before when I arrive and will hope to find something temporary while looking for permanent jobs. My background is in office admin/EA/tourism so I have a broad range of skills gained across different countries to offer rather than a trade.

Good luck with your trip and the job leads! Also hope you enjoy exploring Vancouver and the surrounding area as it's your first time over there - January's not prime tourist season unless you are into wintersports but it's a fantastic city all year round anyway. Just curious about you taking your son out of school for 3 months - were the school and education authority ok with it?

All the best...and if you need any reassurance about the flight then maybe look me up in terminal 5 and we can go for a stronf drink to calm the nerves!

Adele x
I teach my kids at home, so luckily no probs taking them out there, never the less i am sure canadian customs will question me about it!! LOL

I may well see you at terminal 5, i will be the stressed out one, 2 kids one 5 one 9 both probably screaming (Hmmmm what have i done!!)

Good luck with your new life in Canada, have you got any family or friends in the country or just fancied Canada?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Question about money!

I teach my kids at home, so luckily no probs taking them out there, never the less i am sure canadian customs will question me about it!! LOL

I may well see you at terminal 5, i will be the stressed out one, 2 kids one 5 one 9 both probably screaming (Hmmmm what have i done!!)

Good luck with your new life in Canada, have you got any family or friends in the country or just fancied Canada?
Aww, then you can give them lessons on the plane to distract them!!!

You will be fine with the journey - and if it seems tough at the time then just remember that it'll be worth it when you get there!

The only family I have in Canada is my Mum's aunt and uncle, but they live in Ontario! I have a few friends from my previous stint living and working in BC on a BUNAC visa back in 2003-4 so at least I know Vancouver and some people, but for the most part it will be a fresh start and a new beginning! I really enjoyed living and working there before and could see myself doing it again long term so applied for PR back in 2005 and here I am, about to make the move.

I'm in a position where it's all a bit of an adventure really, not giving up anything here to do it and not got a partner or children to implicate so I'm free to give it a go! At this stage in my life I want to go for it, who knows what the future will bring but I like a challenge and love meeting new people and having new experiences so we'll see where it takes me!

All the best

Adele x

Last edited by adele; Dec 29th 2008 at 4:36 pm. Reason: dodgy grammar
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh by the way, I have to ask Mrbadguy - is that a real tattoo in the photo on your avatar?! If so then it puts mine in the shade!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Oh by the way, I have to ask Mrbadguy - is that a real tattoo in the photo on your avatar?! If so then it puts mine in the shade!
Haha yeah thats a real tattoo, i had it done last year, and it bloody hurt like hell!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Haha yeah thats a real tattoo, i had it done last year, and it bloody hurt like hell!!
Wow, makes my little maple leaf look rubbish! I'm impressed!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

We already have a bank account with HSBC, and basically what we have done is upgrade the account to a bank account plus, then the bank will open an account for you in canada for free, and transfer out funds. They can also send out your credit rating, for a small fee.

Anyway thats what we decided to do, makes things easier, since getting charged 2.25% every time we use our cards abroad would cost a fortune over 3 months. Lets hope customs don't have a problem with that?!!

To Shelley748, where abouts in Poole did you come from? We are at Holton Heath, nice place but damn expensive!! Thats why we are trying to get to stay in Canada, we are looking for a better way of life for us and our 2 small kids!
We already nearly have a pnp approval for a job in Richmond, but it was halted until the new year as work had slowed, so here is hoping that it will work out!!
Hi there

We came from Canford Heath!!!

What are you doing job wise here in Canada? Whats a PNP approval? What work are you looking for?

I am near Kingston Ontario...