Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about emmigrating

Question about emmigrating

Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:00 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice
Default Question about emmigrating

Hei

My partner has come around to the idea of moving to Canada so now we can start making plans. Even though it is going to take a while and I know it is going to be very challeing I am very excited about it. Now we have to decide where to go and start building our work skills.

I have thought about something tonight that I wanted to ask about.

My partner and I are not married and have not made any plans to do so (I have changed my surname to the same of his)

Will it make any difference to our application that we are not married?

Last edited by Devil Girl; Dec 9th 2008 at 11:06 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:14 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about emmigrating

Originally Posted by Devil Girl
Now we have to decide where to go and start building our work skills.
Unless you come on BUNAC, Canada can be a toughie. Having those skills, and experience, is more of a prerequisite. Even with same, it can be hard to crack the thing that is Canada.

Snuffle around on the immigration forum for more advice.

R.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:29 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Thank you (oops I am sorry I have put this in the wrong section)

I knew it would be tough but we will do our best to find a way.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devil Girl
Hei

My partner and I are not married and have not made any plans to do so (I have changed my surname to the same of his)

Will it make any difference to our application that we are not married?
No. You need to be able document your common law relationship though.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:47 pm
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. You need to be able document your common law relationship though.
How would I do that?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

proof that you have lived together, bills etc in both names
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:55 pm
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
proof that you have lived together, bills etc in both names
Ahh I see what you mean.

We have nothing at the moment but that will be easy to get resolved.

Thank you for your help
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

you also need to supply photos of both of you at various events/activities throughout your time together to show you do things as a couple. You can also get a joint bank account, each others names on insurance polocies, and if either of you have life insurance/pension, you could name the other as a beneficiary, joint lease, letters addressed to you both at same address, and in my own application we are going to include a couple of reference style letters from a few close friends and colleagues.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

celtic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond repute

The Wikki articles are a fountain of really useful info, compiled by some wonderful people on here. Have a look at them, and you wont go far wrong.

CW
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of the following wiki articles................

First, this one which will help you decide how/if you can get to Canada http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

And then this one about common-law proof (it's actually about spousal sponsorship but explains what you need to go as common-law partners). You'll need to prove you've lived together for at least one year and have proof as mentioned above i.e. utility bills, insurance, joint bank account, mortgage etc. If you don't yet have that then you'll need to wait until you've got at least one years proof.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Hope they help, best of luck and welcome to the forum!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:12 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
you also need to supply photos of both of you at various events/activities throughout your time together to show you do things as a couple.
Do you really have to do this?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Do you really have to do this?
No. We didn't. What they look at is the evidence as a whole. Nothing wrong with supplying pictures though.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:46 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Nothing wrong with supplying pictures though.
Unless you send the WRONG sort of pics proving your a couple....ahem
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are confusing evidence for proving common-law as a family class sponsorship applicant, and evidence for common-law status as a skilled worker couple...

And Amy's just dragging it down to a whole other level
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think people are confusing evidence for proving common-law as a family class sponsorship applicant, and evidence for common-law status as a skilled worker couple...

And Amy's just dragging it down to a whole other level
HA HA I couldn't help it...I shall behave now and stay away from this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.