Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about the 3 months to get new licence

Question about the 3 months to get new licence

Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

chicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question about the 3 months to get new licence

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You are supposed to be resident in a province before you apply for a provincial ID card. The rules are exactly the same as getting a driver's license, except of course you cannot use the ID card for driving. As you declared yourselves resident in NS when you applied for the ID card I can easily understand why they don't want to give your OH another three months to get his driver's license.
I'm glad you can 'easily understand why.'

Surely when we 'landed' we declared ourselves as permanent residents, not when we obtained our ID cards.

People choose to activate their PR status by landing and then returning to England all the time, and back in September when my OH returned, we had hoped it would only be for a short time. We were advised to get an ID card, and I was simply saying to the original poster, that this may not be a wise action until you move over for good!

My OH now has his licence, and it wasn't the end of the world for us while we waited...just a pain for a few weeks while I had to drive everywhere!

My point was, that when we were given our ID cards back in September, OH asked about the Driving Licence at the same time. He was told by the issuing officer at that time, as he was handed his NS ID card, that he would have 3 months to take his driving test after he joined us and came over to live here permanently. So, imho, nothing anyone has said here (including me!) or read online really matters, it's just up to the person who is issuing the licence and their interpretation of the rules on that day. Probably depends more on whether they got their Tim Horton's coffee that morning than it does on the rules!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicken cheese
I'm glad you can 'easily understand why.'

Surely when we 'landed' we declared ourselves as permanent residents, not when we obtained our ID cards.
When you "land" you become a permanent resident of Canada, however you do not become resident in any particular province until you actually set up home there.

We were advised to get an ID card, and I was simply saying to the original poster, that this may not be a wise action until you move over for good!
This is very good advice.

... when we were given our ID cards back in September, OH asked about the Driving Licence at the same time. He was told by the issuing officer at that time, as he was handed his NS ID card, that he would have 3 months to take his driving test after he joined us and came over to live here permanently ... it's just up to the person who is issuing the licence and their interpretation of the rules on that day. Probably depends more on whether they got their Tim Horton's coffee that morning than it does on the rules!
It is the same in BC. It seems that the question of residence it is up to the interpretation of whoever you are talking to.

IN BC, an ID card is only given to residents who don't want a driver's license so I can see how someone else would assume that their 3 months would start on the day the ID card is issued. It is frustrating, IMO your OH was given bad advice by the issuing officer in the first place.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:55 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

And even if you ring and double check don't necc believe them - here in BC I had one ICBC office telling me I could drive for 6 months on a TWP as I wasn't Pr and another trying to wrestle my licence off me as I was 2 days over the 90days when I took my test! Even tho I told them the convo I had had with the other office.

They then rang another office who said oh no the 6 months is just for peeps working on the olympics - WTF?? !