Reload this Page >

Query about booze

Wikiposts

Query about booze

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:03 am
Just Joined

StephenD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Query about booze

Pubs on every corner, off license, Tesco's, asda's. sainsbury, you get the idea, alcohol on a par is much cheaper in the UK, the drinking age is too low as well.
In most of Europe alcohol is even cheaper, sold in even more places and minimum drinking ages, if they exist, are much lower and not strictly adhered to.

However Britain seems to be the only country that has the kind of situation that we do on a Friday and Saturday night.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:05 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
I am going to get cruxified for this,
but alcohol is not cheap....and in Canada it is really expensive, I do not drink either and find that tooooooo many brits drink way to much.
Pubs on every corner, off license, Tesco's, asda's. sainsbury, you get the idea, alcohol on a par is much cheaper in the UK, the drinking age is too low as well.

When ever we go to a pub I take a look around just to see how many of us tea granny's are there, and in most cases we are the only table without alcohol....why do brits insist on drinking for every occasion, glass of wine with your meals...drink water is better for you and doesn't disguise the taste of your food....every time we go to a friends place the first thing they ask is "wine or beer"...ummmm no thanks tea is fine thank you...
I have seen soo many people to allow their underage children to have a glass of wine with their meals, THEY DON'T NEED IT...then UK wonders why they have a nation of binge drinkers???
I am glad that Canada has the LCBO and beer stores, it keeps kids out for starters, and they never used to be open on Sundays til some nitwit government official decided they could make more money with sunday openings...(at least they were open Sunday when I left Ont)

My husband is a recovering alcoholic, and his friends know why he does not drink any more, but they get a few drinks in them, forget and start offering or buying drinks for him....now isn't that a real bright thing to do???

Canada has its boozers as well, but UK has ALOT more of them....
I'm not going to crucify you, but a couple of things, just out of interest.

If I went to pubs any more, which I don't, I would expect to pay about C$5.50 for a pint of regular lager (say Fosters). That's about £2.30. What's the going rate in the UK at the moment?

If I buy a 24-bottle case, it costs me about C$25 (say eleven quid). What would it be in the UK?

I think Canada has more boozers than is immediately obvious. The boozing culture is not bar-based; drinking is done at home. Gatineau, where I live, has less than 30 bars listed in the phone book (for a city of some 225,000 people). That suggests little boozing. However, every supermarket, convenience store - even gas station - has a huge pile of beer cases. Somebody is drinking all that beer. You can tell when people are going grocery shopping by the sound of clinking (ie empty) 24s being loaded into cars.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

"If I went to pubs any more, which I don't, I would expect to pay about C$5.50 for a pint of regular lager (say Fosters). That's about £2.30. What's the going rate in the UK at the moment?"

I have no idea what it is as I never buy it, but you are putting the exchange rate on it, it does not come into the equation if you make cdn $'s, why do you convert that into British £? Dollar for £ it is cheaper in UK...

"If I buy a 24-bottle case, it costs me about C$25 (say eleven quid). What would it be in the UK? Again you are putting currency conversion, it does not apply....unless you live on the british£?
I think Canada has more boozers than is immediately obvious. The boozing culture is not bar-based; drinking is done at home. Gatineau, where I live, has less than 30 bars listed in the phone book (for a city of some 225,000 people). That suggests little boozing. However, every supermarket, convenience store - even gas station - has a huge pile of beer cases. Somebody is drinking all that beer. You can tell when people are going grocery shopping by the sound of clinking (ie empty) 24s being loaded into cars."

You must be living in Quebec, b/c in Ontario you will not get booze in gas stations or corner stores or groceries stores. Drinking age in Quebec is also younger then Ont.
And how many british homes can you walk into that do not have alcohol in them? (other then mine)
Britain has a drink problem, and they need to do something before it is completely out of control....and it is not just Fri/Sat night...my husband is having to put in OT at his nick to keep the drunks under control, and the majority of the problem is alcohol related....I can walk around tourist attractions in TO without stepping into someones puke...I can't in London..(even tho I looooooove London, and not fussy on TO)

I guess because I have never been a drinker, I can't understand why people have/want to drink. No one says "I want to be an alcoholic" but the world is full of them. As I am off topic, will shut my yap now....
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
In BC the pubs are smoke free

Same in Ontario and Quebec
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:41 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Not long back from 3 weeks in London Ontario

I was very suprised that I did not see one drunk walking down the streets.
In Glasgow you would be gauranteed to see many drunks walking down the street
Sorry, having lived in London for two years all I can say is that in the down town area you never walked down to the Richmond Arms at the junction between Richmond street and King street, never went anywhere near the Ridout Arms at Ridout and York, for what its worth I’d recommend avoiding this area late on Fridays and Saturdays.. I could give you a long list of where you can find the drunks in London.. But next time you go a good look in the slums around east of Adelaide and Queens should suffice…

All the booze will have been bought at The LCBO during normal hours as the beer store really doesn’t cater for the stronger stuff …

Granted not as bad as the places I knew In Glasgow down by the Tennents brewery where I used to work… but still Drunks are Drunks
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
"If I went to pubs any more, which I don't, I would expect to pay about C$5.50 for a pint of regular lager (say Fosters). That's about £2.30. What's the going rate in the UK at the moment?"

I have no idea what it is as I never buy it, but you are putting the exchange rate on it, it does not come into the equation if you make cdn $'s, why do you convert that into British £? Dollar for £ it is cheaper in UK...

"If I buy a 24-bottle case, it costs me about C$25 (say eleven quid). What would it be in the UK? Again you are putting currency conversion, it does not apply....unless you live on the british£?
I think Canada has more boozers than is immediately obvious. The boozing culture is not bar-based; drinking is done at home. Gatineau, where I live, has less than 30 bars listed in the phone book (for a city of some 225,000 people). That suggests little boozing. However, every supermarket, convenience store - even gas station - has a huge pile of beer cases. Somebody is drinking all that beer. You can tell when people are going grocery shopping by the sound of clinking (ie empty) 24s being loaded into cars."

You must be living in Quebec, b/c in Ontario you will not get booze in gas stations or corner stores or groceries stores. Drinking age in Quebec is also younger then Ont.
And how many british homes can you walk into that do not have alcohol in them? (other then mine)
Britain has a drink problem, and they need to do something before it is completely out of control....and it is not just Fri/Sat night...my husband is having to put in OT at his nick to keep the drunks under control, and the majority of the problem is alcohol related....I can walk around tourist attractions in TO without stepping into someones puke...I can't in London..(even tho I looooooove London, and not fussy on TO)

I guess because I have never been a drinker, I can't understand why people have/want to drink. No one says "I want to be an alcoholic" but the world is full of them. As I am off topic, will shut my yap now....

Forget about the first two points. I'd ignored the PPP.

Yes, I'm in Quebec. Despite the widespread availability of booze, I've yet to see a public drunk. Or much vomit (dog excluded).
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Rete
Same in Ontario and Quebec
Really?

Some municipalities in Ontario have gone smoke-free. I don't think it's a provincial thing; yet.

Smoking in bars is still mandatory in most of Quebec.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikeUK
… but still Drunks are Drunks
Anywhere that booze is sold will attract drunks.

My experience here is that there is much less of a drinking culture. I probably go out for a drink after work about twice a month instead of once a week in the UK.

If I go to the sports club there isn't a licenced bar (which IMHO is a bit of a shame) and alcohol is banned in public parks here (excellent idea IMHO).

There are a few haunts in the centre of Calgary which I guess if you fancy a punch-up you would head to, but the bars/pubs I do frequent are non-agressive and have non-smoking areas.

What I have yet to see is large numbers of young people swarming around the downtown area pissed up and being abusive to anyone who happens to be passing.

We have 2 pubs and 1 bar within 5 mins walk of our house and there is very little, if any, trouble.

Alcohol is slightly more expensive here if you use the fx rate but then other things are cheaper.

In Alberta the liqour stores are privatised so booze costs slightly less.

I consume far less alcohol here than in the UK, not becuase of the price but because a) the "social" drinking culture is less prevalent b) the altitude and dry atmosphere exacerbate the dehydrating effect of drinking too much.

Off cource, disregard everything I've said during Stampede

Last edited by CalgaryBlade; Aug 23rd 2005 at 9:50 am.