Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Queen St E and Jarvis

Queen St E and Jarvis

Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Ladybird Dots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Queen St E and Jarvis

Hi, spent 2007 in Vancouver and many hours on BE reading but not posting, not too good at the written word, or the spoken word come to that. However needs must and am hoping the Torontonians will be able to help abit.

Husband has just been offered a job in Queen St E, Jarvis area in Toronto and although I've spent a few months way back in 2005 in Toronto I dont remember too much about it. I can see from Google maps that St Lawrence Market is nearby and recall that as being a nice area... is it?? We'd like to live within 15 mins of his work... is the Beaches area about a 15min tram ride away?

For those with little ones, are there many drop in toddler groups? We'd be arriving in mid Jan and it would be great if there were things for the little one to do where he can meet other little uns

Thanks tons in advance
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queen St E and Jarvis

Originally Posted by Ladybird Dots
Hi, spent 2007 in Vancouver and many hours on BE reading but not posting, not too good at the written word, or the spoken word come to that. However needs must and am hoping the Torontonians will be able to help abit.

Husband has just been offered a job in Queen St E, Jarvis area in Toronto and although I've spent a few months way back in 2005 in Toronto I dont remember too much about it. I can see from Google maps that St Lawrence Market is nearby and recall that as being a nice area... is it?? We'd like to live within 15 mins of his work... is the Beaches area about a 15min tram ride away?

For those with little ones, are there many drop in toddler groups? We'd be arriving in mid Jan and it would be great if there were things for the little one to do where he can meet other little uns

Thanks tons in advance

Yes, it's 15-20 minutes from the Beach on the Queen car. It's not a nice area but is improving. (That is Queen/Jarvis isn't a fabulous corner, the area immediately around the Market is nice.)
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks dbd, I did have a memory of some guy asleep on the sidewalk with his pants around his ankles just up from that area(ish) was hoping it was further away. Is the Disterllery bit about a 15 min walk?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

opps sorry sped read your post and only caught the bit about it not being a nice corner... thats good news that St Lawrence Market area is nice, thank you.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dbd, I did have a memory of some guy asleep on the sidewalk with his pants around his ankles just up from that area(ish) was hoping it was further away. Is the Disterllery bit about a 15 min walk?
Yes, that's right. You have the general idea. I would say that since you were last there King/Sherbourne has gone downhill, Jarvis north of Queen is about to go downhill with the opening of a bigger dosshouse, and the rest of the downtown east area has improved a bit.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The Beach has all manner of stuff for young children with a tendency to be "alternative", "vegetarian", "organic" and generally yuppie. The St. Lawrence Market area does too but with a different mixture of people due to the extensive public housing projects such as the Monoxide Towers. ElaineB lived downtown with small children until a couple of years ago, her thoughts might be valuable to you.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Very helpful, thanks dbd

Calling ElaineB....... are you out there?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Also Queen East and Jarvis is a pretty short walk from Queen subway station so pretty much anywhere on the subway line is not going to be a big commute, obviously the further along the line the longer it will take but there are some really nice areas West near High Park and Bloor West Village.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

ThemeOne is an unknown quantity at this point

My memory of Jarvis generally is that's it's a little "gritty", and don't be surprised to see the occasional down-and-out or prostitute on the streets round there.

Having said that, I never felt it was particularly dangerous, and has the advantage of being very central for downtown.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Very helpful, thanks dbd

Calling ElaineB....... are you out there?
Did someone call?

As DBD said I lived in Toronto until recently. When my son was born we lived in the Church and Wellesly area which I loved he went to Church Street school (they also have a great daycare) and I worked at Queen and Church so everything was within walking distance. When we decided to buy our first house we had a limited budget and ended up living in East York (main and danforth) I wouldn't recommend the area if I could have afford it I would have moved to the Beach area it's a great place for a young family.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks ElaineB, Wizzard and ThemeOne, most helpful