Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/...139312.article

It does seem like certain influential figures and organisations are pushing the Canadian government to rethink its blanket restrictions. Personally I really can't see any measures being relaxed for travellers from Europe and Asia whilst restrictions are still applied to Americans though.
If I was to ask why I probably get an answer, I don't really understand, or find unbelievable to understand.

Meanwhile the discussion seems to be going on, according to this website:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7182424/a...onavirus-plea/

I am not without hope in this matter. Europe could do it, EU-Europe has put Canada on the "green green" list, welcoming Canadians into Europe, but sadly so for Canada didn't reciproce that.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jul 16th 2020 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
If I was to ask why I probably get an answer, I don't really understand, or find unbelievable to understand.

Meanwhile the discussion seems to be going on, according to this website:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7182424/a...onavirus-plea/

I am not without hope in this matter. Europe could do it, EU-Europe has put Canada on the "green green" list, welcoming Canadians into Europe, but sadly so for Canada didn't reciproce that.
Why should Canada when most of Europe has higher numbers than most of Canada? Remember that two provinces, .Ontario and Quebec, have the majority of cases. Some have close to none and want to improve on that. Suck it up Buttercup, so everyone else has COVID problems too.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This discussion is beginning to make me so angry.

I have 2 high risk factors. I isolated myself for 6 weeks initially, and have since then been semi-isolated ........ I go out once a week on average, wearing a mask at all times.

In spite of that, I have just spent most of the last week in bed, in isolation.

I don't think I have caught covid, but I have had some strange symptoms which make ME unwilling to go out even if I could move in case I infect someone.

I've felt rotten at times, have not been eating well, and have lost at least 5 lbs in weight

and here you are, still wittering on about how you can break the law and come to Canada.

We don't want you, at least not until things are more-or-less sorted out. If that means next year, then hard lines, buddy!

You obviously missed your chance to be repatriated back in March.

so as bats said . "Suck it up Buttercup, so everyone else has COVID problems too"
Old Jul 17th 2020, 10:04 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
This discussion is beginning to make me so angry.

I've felt rotten at times, have not been eating well, and have lost at least 5 lbs in weight

so as bats said . "Suck it up Buttercup, so everyone else has COVID problems too"
I'm sorry to hear you are below par Scilly...do get we soon!

Yes he is an annoying and wittery sort...you can almost hear "the it's All About Me ' with flounce! Bats put it beautifully!
Old Jul 17th 2020, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to distract from the (valid) negativeness of this thread somewhat but also ask a genuine question - whats the official line for travelling to and from quarantine, all I've seen is that it must be direct - realise this means no public transport. But I've seen conflicting information around whether picking up a hire car, or walking was allowed??

I'm still in the UK waiting on PR, *if* its approved and *if*we are able to travel with a loosening of restrictions - I would intend on doing so, but would be adhering to quarantine if it applies at the time (give me an 8 x 6 prison cell, and a kindle - I'll manage 14 days just fine). Whether that be August, or 2022 remains to be seen.

Common sense approach to make life easier for me would be to get somewhere within walking distance of the airport, that is still served by skip the dishes etc. walk there, have some Ramen noodles in my case. but have been reading that being in public is a no no (even if its the verge of a deserted road en route to your accommodation) , and likewise the same for going to pick up a hire car - which sort of begs the question apart from having someone pick you up from the airport (who should then self isolate too?) how do you get somewhere to quarantine? questionably even if you owned a vehicle, those on economy parking lots would involve walking "in public" to reach them
Old Jul 17th 2020, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Quarantine for 14 days would such no doubt, but its the current rules, and in the big picture its only 2 weeks out of 52 weeks, and you get to largely choose where you quarantine, the only people getting stuck in small rooms for 14 days are those who have no plan on arrival into Canada, plan ahead, arrange a suitable place and consider it a 2 week vacation.

I hate being stuck in one place, I can't stand it, but if I left Canada, I would have no issue on my return isolating for 14 days. Can't really be any worse then being stuck in a hospital ward unable to go anywhere, and I did that for 8 weeks once.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 9:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Trying to distract from the (valid) negativeness of this thread somewhat but also ask a genuine question - whats the official line for travelling to and from quarantine, all I've seen is that it must be direct - realise this means no public transport. But I've seen conflicting information around whether picking up a hire car, or walking was allowed??

I'm still in the UK waiting on PR, *if* its approved and *if*we are able to travel with a loosening of restrictions - I would intend on doing so, but would be adhering to quarantine if it applies at the time (give me an 8 x 6 prison cell, and a kindle - I'll manage 14 days just fine). Whether that be August, or 2022 remains to be seen.

Common sense approach to make life easier for me would be to get somewhere within walking distance of the airport, that is still served by skip the dishes etc. walk there, have some Ramen noodles in my case. but have been reading that being in public is a no no (even if its the verge of a deserted road en route to your accommodation) , and likewise the same for going to pick up a hire car - which sort of begs the question apart from having someone pick you up from the airport (who should then self isolate too?) how do you get somewhere to quarantine? questionably even if you owned a vehicle, those on economy parking lots would involve walking "in public" to reach them
I'm quite sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that you can take public transportation just as you can use an internal flight. You just need to take the most direct route i.e. don't go on a shopping trip or do some sightseeing on your way to wherever it is you're staying.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 9:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Why should Canada when most of Europe has higher numbers than most of Canada? Remember that two provinces, .Ontario and Quebec, have the majority of cases. Some have close to none and want to improve on that. Suck it up Buttercup, so everyone else has COVID problems too.
I'm sorry but that's just not true. It was true earlier in the year but isn't now.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 11:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but that's just not true. It was true earlier in the year but isn't now.
If you look at the map on the link below there are Provinces that have very few cases - other than Ontario and Quebec - Nunavit has none - NW Territories only 5 - Yukon - 11 - PEI 13 - and many others have only a few hundred.. so YES it is true that most of Europe has more cases than many Provinces... and most of Canada!

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal..._term=covid-19
Canada 109,264
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
As of 17 July 2020, 1,609,235 cases have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK:
United Kingdom (292 552), Spain (258 855), Italy (243 736), Germany (200 843), France (173 838), Sweden (76 877), Belgium (63 238), Netherlands (51 296), Portugal (47 765), Poland (39 054), Romania (35 003), Ireland (25 698), Austria (19 268), Czechia (13 612), Denmark (13 124), Norway (9 011), Bulgaria (8 144), Finland (7 293), Luxembourg (5 122), Hungary (4 279), Croatia (4 039), Greece (3 939), Estonia (2 016), Slovakia (1 951), Iceland (1 914), Lithuania (1 902), Slovenia (1 897), Latvia (1 179), Cyprus (1 031), Malta (674) and Liechtenstein (85).

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 17th 2020 at 11:05 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

If you look at the map on the link below there are Provinces that have very few cases - other than Ontario and Quebec - Nunavit has none - NW Territories only 5 - Yukon - 11 - PEI 13 - and many others have only a few hundred.. so YES it is true that most of Europe has more cases than many Provinces...

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal..._term=covid-19
I hadnt realised how bad Quebec have had it.

There numbers are worse than a lot of European countries, in fact using cases per person it's only the US and Brazil that have been worse hit (taking the small 10,000 person nations out of the equation).

If you take Quebec out of it, suddenly Canada has done really well/been really lucky.

Old Jul 17th 2020, 11:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

new cases daily
UK 687
Italy 231
France 836
Netherlands 103
Austria 69
Denmark 49
Switzerland 92

Canada 375
that's
Ontario 111
Alberta 120
Quebec 142
BC 21
Saskatchewan 42
Newfoundland and Labrador , Nova bScotia, Prince Edward island, New Brunswick, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon . All 0.,

so you're suggesting that someone from the UK or France can go tappylappying off to BC or NB without quarantine?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 7:34 am
Sidecar Falcon

new cases daily
UK 687
Italy 231
France 836
Netherlands 103
Austria 69
Denmark 49
Switzerland 92

Canada 375
that's
Ontario 111
Alberta 120
Quebec 142
BC 21
Saskatchewan 42
Newfoundland and Labrador , Nova bScotia, Prince Edward island, New Brunswick, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon . All 0.,

so you're suggesting that someone from the UK or France can go tappylappying off to BC or NB without quarantine?
Ratio those to population size and density and it's about the same.

Europe has at least 2 megacities in it whereas Canada has none and the landmass of the UK and France are each smaller than many Canadian provinces but are each home to around 2x the total population of Canada.

When you do some basic maths here and adjust Canada's figures to match that of the UK population size then Canada would be at least equal to the UK and that's ignoring the fact that maintaining a distance from others is far harder in the UK than it is in most parts of Canada.

But keep on expressing prejudice towards Brits and Europeans if you want, I know that's what most Canadians, Aussies, New Zealanders and others are about these days and those supposed "allegiances" formed over the last century actually mean precisely jack shit.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 7:43 am
Sidecar Falcon

Incidentally, that 687 figure for the UK was based on the results of 136,783 tests so the positive result rate was around 0.5%.

I don't know the extent to which Canada is testing, they seem to be focusing more on the stranger = danger approach so far I can see, however if you don't test numbers proportional to that then any comparisons are pretty much null and void.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 1:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

When you do some basic maths here and adjust Canada's figures to match that of the UK population size then Canada would be at least equal to the UK
Worldometer makes that adjustment.
Canada - Cases per 1m = 2905. Deaths per 1M = 234
UK corresponding figures are 4319 and 666
Old Jul 18th 2020, 1:52 pm
limey party pooper

Ratio those to population size and density and it's about the same.

Europe has at least 2 megacities in it whereas Canada has none and the landmass of the UK and France are each smaller than many Canadian provinces but are each home to around 2x the total population of Canada.

When you do some basic maths here and adjust Canada's figures to match that of the UK population size then Canada would be at least equal to the UK and that's ignoring the fact that maintaining a distance from others is far harder in the UK than it is in most parts of Canada.

But keep on expressing prejudice towards Brits and Europeans if you want, I know that's what most Canadians, Aussies, New Zealanders and others are about these days and those supposed "allegiances" formed over the last century actually mean precisely jack shit.
You can't compare land mass etc when you know that the majority of Canadians live huddled together near the USA border.

i don't see any prejudice expressed, no idea why you are ramblingg on about it.
​​​​​
New case numbers is the only valid measure here. The UK doesn't test assymptomatic people, Ontario does,.albeit voluntarily.
i don't know anyone in Canada who has has COVID, three of my family in England have been ill with it, as have two friends. Two of them tested positive long after their symptoms had gone.

I live two hours from Toronto. Peterborough has had zero new cases in over two weeks, Northumberland county has two. There is no community spread and all local cases can be traced to the GTA. Ontario's new cases are steadily going down.

Why would we want to increase our risk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.