Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 23rd 2021, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The ones that are not science based tend to be those used by countries who fared badly initially, continue to fare badly; and insist on repeating what made them fare badly.

I suspect that's not quite what you mean though.
Correct. I mean those ridiculous travel restrictions, especially the one we have in place with the US, the lack of reciprocity and the vaccination rate in Canada being higher.

I would agree with you if you're referring to Victor Orban and even Boris Johnson, which I am guessing you'd be making reference to....
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 1:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I would agree with you if you're referring to Victor Orban and even Boris Johnson, which I am guessing you'd be making reference to....
And others...in the US, Brazil, Mexico, Sweden...but currently Boris, definitely.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I am not aware that Canadians are to date able to enter the US by air for non essential reasons. I only knew that last year this kind of loophole seemed possible.

As far as I know, the land border as well as by air is closed to non essential travel.

If arriving from or have been in a blacklisted country in the past 14 days, correct air travel is also restricted, however Canada has never been on the blacklist, so as long as you have been in Canada for the previous 15 days, one can fly into the US for non-essential purposes, but one does need to get a pre-departure COVID test now, that started in January.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

As for the land borders a foreign policy expert on CBC made a good point, unlike Canada the US has land borders with 2 countries, and it would be potentially awkward for the US to open the Canadian land border but keep Mexican border closed, so possibly until the US is ready to open the Mexico land border.

It's also become a political issue in the US and some concern regarding asylum seekers and republicans poised to use that against Biden.

"a flood of asylum seekers it can't immediately turn back along with backlash from Republicans opposed to Biden's immigration policies."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s...rder-1.6111192
Old Jul 24th 2021, 12:39 pm
ACF
Just Joined

ACF is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been told by a family member that, despite the guidance stating that you cannot quarantine in a house with people 70+, if the relevant people (i.e. the members of the household who are 70+) provide a certificate which says that they are fine to share their space with quarantining people, then the border agents will accept a quarantine plan which involves staying in the same house altogether.

Leaving aside the Q of whether or not this is a sensible thing to do, has anyone heard something similar or got any experience in this respect?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2021, 3:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACF
I have been told by a family member that, despite the guidance stating that you cannot quarantine in a house with people 70+, if the relevant people (i.e. the members of the household who are 70+) provide a certificate which says that they are fine to share their space with quarantining people, then the border agents will accept a quarantine plan which involves staying in the same house altogether.

Leaving aside the Q of whether or not this is a sensible thing to do, has anyone heard something similar or got any experience in this respect?

Many thanks.
The official word

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

Avoiding contact with people at risk

You cannot quarantine in a place where you will have contact with people who
  • are 65 years or older
  • have underlying medical conditions
  • have compromised immune systems
  • work or assist in a facility, home or workplace that includes at-risk populations, including:
    • Nurses, doctors, other healthcare professionals, personal support workers, social workers
    • First responders, such as paramedics
    • Cleaning and maintenance staff, receptionists and administrative staff, food services staff, volunteers, essential visitors to those living in long-term care facilities
You may only quarantine with people in these situations if:
  • they consent to the quarantine or are the parent or minor in a parent-minor relationship
  • you complete a form with a government representative at the border crossing explaining the consent and receive authorization to proceed
In these limited circumstances, a government representative will confirm consent.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 24th 2021 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2021, 4:01 pm
ACF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The official word
Extremely helpful - thanks! If anyone has used (or attempted to use) this exception I would love to hear from you.
Old Jul 24th 2021, 4:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think I heard that Canada will be open for tourists in September ?
Old Jul 24th 2021, 10:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The official word
I wonder if that's changed over the past year as i know someone who was told her quarantine plans were not acceptable as they involved sharing accommodation with one other. They were held at the border while everyone scrambled to find an alternative.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 9:37 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I wonder if that's changed over the past year as i know someone who was told her quarantine plans were not acceptable as they involved sharing accommodation with one other. They were held at the border while everyone scrambled to find an alternative.
That type of risk certainly does seem to be baked in to the current regulations.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 12:28 pm
ACF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bats
I don't recall seeing the bold before (when I checked a month or so ago) but would love to know if anyone knows if there was indeed an update to the official guidance.

You may only quarantine with people in these situations if:
  • they consent to the quarantine or are the parent or minor in a parent-minor relationship
  • you complete a form with a government representative at the border crossing explaining the consent and receive authorization to proceed
In these limited circumstances, a government representative will confirm consent.
Also the words "In these limited circumstances, a government representative will confirm consent" do really seem to indicate that in these circumstances the quarantine plan will be approved (it doesn't say e.g. the border agent may deem to be acceptable etc.).
Old Jul 25th 2021, 2:44 pm
ACF
Just Joined

For my own sanity I've set out below what I think we need to do for our proposed upcoming trip to Canada. If anyone has any comments/tips/advice on the below please say as I am a little concerned that I may have missed something, which would be catastrophic! Thank you in advance. I will definitely report back on how we go...

Facts:
  • Itinerary: London to Toronto end of July, Toronto to London end of August (flying BA or AC - TBC)
  • Travelers:
    • Person A - adult UK/Canadian dual citizen, fully vaxxed +14 days ago with NHS COVID pass, spouse of Person B and parent to Persons CDE
    • Person B - adult UK citizen, not fully vaxxed, spouse of Person A and parent to Persons CDE
    • Person C - child UK/Canadian dual citizen, 8 years old, unvaxxed
    • Person D - child UK/Canadian dual citizen, 6 years old, unvaxxed
    • Person E - child UK/Canadian dual citizen, 4 years old, unvaxxed
Can we enter Canada? Yes as follows:
  • Persons ACDE can all enter Canada as Canadian citizens (does not matter that they are UK resident)
  • Person B can enter Canada as a they are accompanying a Canadian family member (does not matter that they are UK resident / not fully vaxxed)
    • Must bring docs to demonstrate that Person B plans to stay in Canada for 15 days or more (e.g. return flight details)
    • Must bring docs to prove family member's status and relationship with them (e.g. Canadian passport of Person A and marriage certificate between Person A and Person B)
Pre departure requirements:
  • Persons ABCD must have negative test taken within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of flight to Canada
  • Person E exempt because under 5 years old
  • Test must be of a certain type - the standard NHS PCR test is acceptable for these purposes
Arrival testing requirements:
  • All travelers must take a COVID test before leaving the airport (register with Toronto airport test provider in advance)
  • Persons BCDE must take a COVID home test on day 8 (kits to be provided before leaving the airport)
Quarantine requirements:
  • Person A is exempt from quarantine requirements
  • Person B must quarantine for 3 days in hotel (to be pre booked) and then for a further 11 days at home
  • Persons CDE must quarantine for 14 days at home (no hotel quarantine requirement)
Non-Hotel Quarantine plan:
  • In a house shared with two people (Persons XY) who are 65+ years old and both fully vaxxed
  • Persons XY to provide consent in advance to quarantine arrangements
  • All travel from airport/hotel to house to be via private vehicle
ArriveCAN
  • All travel and quarantine plans to be submitted via app in advance of travel
On return to UK
  • Persons AB must have a negative COVD test taken within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of flight to UK (Persons CDE exempt as below 10 years old)
  • Persons ABCD must take a day 2 COVID test (NHS PCR test fine) (Person E exempt as 4 years old)
  • Person B must quarantine at home for 10 days
God help us that feels like a heavy lift...

P.S. Any advice on flying BA vs AC at present? Both are about the same price.

Last edited by ACF; Jul 25th 2021 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 3:41 pm
Yo

That seems like a lot of quarantining for the kids for a one month trip.

It might be worth checking whether the border agents will question the young children's quarantine arrangments in the first three days. If CDE are to quarantine then presumably they are to not see A or XY for that period. Since B will be in a hotel for the first three days, it might be suggested that CDE join B in the hotel until they can all transfer to home.

I'm not an expert, just riffing on what an over zealous border agent might determine.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

dejavus is an unknown quantity at this point

This Covid travel testing arrangement is a complete mess.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 26th 2021 at 5:34 am. Reason: Family friendly forum and all that……..
Old Jul 26th 2021, 2:18 pm
ACF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dejavus
This Covid travel testing arrangement is a complete mess.
Completely agree (and the skeptic in me wants to know how many politicians, or their mates, have direct or indirect financial interests in testing companies)!

Without wanting to further complicate something that's already headache-inducing, does anyone know how a border agent would view doing 1/2 quarantine in one house and and the other 1/2 at a separate location (e.g. a cottage). On paper would seem fine (travel between the two sites would be by private vehicle) and I cannot see anything which says you need to quarantine in one place the whole time, but I am nervous...
Old Jul 26th 2021, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACF
Completely agree (and the skeptic in me wants to know how many politicians, or their mates, have direct or indirect financial interests in testing companies)!

Without wanting to further complicate something that's already headache-inducing, does anyone know how a border agent would view doing 1/2 quarantine in one house and and the other 1/2 at a separate location (e.g. a cottage). On paper would seem fine (travel between the two sites would be by private vehicle) and I cannot see anything which says you need to quarantine in one place the whole time, but I am nervous...
A Canadian friend of mine did this last year on return from the US - I can’t remember if she checked it out previously or at border driving back from US but it was ok then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.