Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 20th 2021, 10:10 am
Just Joined

la3morri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

I'm a Canadian citizen and so is my child…. I suppose its not essential travel. Its to reconnect with family. I don't have any other particular reason at the moment
Finding it very difficult to decipher the gov canada advice - thank you for replying!
Old Jul 20th 2021, 3:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la3morri
I'm a Canadian citizen and so is my child…. I suppose its not essential travel. Its to reconnect with family. I don't have any other particular reason at the moment
Finding it very difficult to decipher the gov canada advice - thank you for replying!
As a Citizen (and reconnecting with family), you come under the exemptions and are allowed to enter Canada, as explained on the links.. , with regards to entering follow the guide (see the dropdown for travelling with children): https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...drenTravelling
Old Jul 20th 2021, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! and apparently children travelling with vaccinated adults don't need to quarantine after 9 August (fingers crossed).
Old Jul 20th 2021, 4:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! and apparently children travelling with vaccinated adults don't need to quarantine after 9 August (fingers crossed).
Do you reside in the US? The 9th August exemption mainly applies to fully vaccinated who are coming from the US. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ravellers.html

This part will have some information if you are coming from an international destination (not the US).. no hotel stay but potentially still quarantine for your child.

Finally, with the advent of increased vaccination rates in Canada, declining COVID-19 cases and reduced pressure on health care capacity, the three-night government authorized hotel stay requirement will be eliminated for all travellers arriving by air as of 12:01 A.M. EDT on August 9. Fully vaccinated travellers who meet the requirements will be exempt from quarantine; however, all travellers must still provide a quarantine plan and be prepared to quarantine, in case it is determined at the border that they do not meet the necessary requirements.

Otherwise, as it stands now.. (up to 7th September):

Travelling with children or dependents who are not fully vaccinated
Children under the age of 18, or dependent adults, who are not fully vaccinated, but who are accompanied by fully vaccinated travellers:
  • must quarantine for 14 days
  • must follow all testing requirements (unless under the age of 5)
  • are not required to stay at a government-authorized hotel
Old Jul 20th 2021, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! I believe the exemption applies to those eligible to arrive does it not? I am a Canadian citizen and would be coming from the UK. I would think that doesn't make sense to allow americans to arrive double vaccinated but not citizens? (although rules do not always make sense at this point!)

I believe the 7th Sept rule is for "tourists" and not citizens…?
Having called the embassy this morning they also suggested that the rules will say children travelling from UK will be exempt from quarantine from 9 Aug (although they are clear they do not officially advise)…

Let me know if you are seeing something different?
Old Jul 20th 2021, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

expattony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Wait until Ireland accepts the QR code and go in via Northern Ireland. It's extra time, but for the cost of tests I'd rather travel across the UK than pay for political idiocy.
Do we know when this is happening?
Old Jul 20th 2021, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expattony
Do we know when this is happening?
Regarding Ireland, that was yesterday July 19th.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 10:35 pm
Banned

Thank you! I believe the exemption applies to those eligible to arrive does it not? I am a Canadian citizen and would be coming from the UK. I would think that doesn't make sense to allow americans to arrive double vaccinated but not citizens? (although rules do not always make sense at this point!)

I believe the 7th Sept rule is for "tourists" and not citizens…?
Having called the embassy this morning they also suggested that the rules will say children travelling from UK will be exempt from quarantine from 9 Aug (although they are clear they do not officially advise)…

Let me know if you are seeing something different?

You are allowed to travel - if vaccinated you don't need to quarantine (provided you have negative tests) - but because your child isn't vaccinated, you should check the requirements..

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 20th 2021 at 10:51 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The US has chosen not to open their side of the border, it will remain closed until at least August 21st.

""To decrease the spread of COVID-19, including the Delta variant, the United States is extending restrictions on non-essential travel at our land and ferry crossings with Canada and Mexico through August 21, while ensuring the continued flow of essential trade and travel," wrote DHS spokesperson Angelo Fernández Hernández."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...rder-1.6110800

Canada appears to be planning on still allowing US persons to begin entering Canada again on Aug 9 as previously announced.

Old Jul 22nd 2021, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The US has chosen not to open their side of the border, it will remain closed until at least August 21st.

""To decrease the spread of COVID-19, including the Delta variant, the United States is extending restrictions on non-essential travel at our land and ferry crossings with Canada and Mexico through August 21, while ensuring the continued flow of essential trade and travel," wrote DHS spokesperson Angelo Fernández Hernández."

Canada appears to be planning on still allowing US persons to begin entering Canada again on Aug 9 as previously announced.
So I've heard.

I think this should be reciprocal. If US Americans can come to Canada to visit, Canadians should be able to do the same in the US, - provided they are vaccinated.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I find the US position rather confusing, and also laughable.

I heard on the radio this morning that Canada now has 80% of people over the age of 12 having had the first jab, and just under 60% of the same age group fully vaccinated.

The US vaccination rate is much much lower than either of those two figures, and for people over the age of 18.

The other thing is that people from other countries as well as Canada might not be admitted into the US even if fully vaccinated if they have either the AstroZeneca vaccine (possibly only the version made in India, that wasn't too clear), or mixed vaccinations of Pfizer and Moderna, or AZ and either of the other 2 They have not approved the AZ vaccine, and have made no decision on mixed vaccines.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

US hasn't yet required proof of vaccination for entry and I am not sure they ever will. Canadians provided they haven't been in a blacklisted country in the past 14 days have been free to fly into the US without issue the entire pandemic, one will need a negative test result done in the 3 days prior to arrival, but vaccination is not required currently for entering the US.

Vaccination rate wise, I will be surprised if the US can manage to even get to 70%-75% total, but as with everything in the US, some states are doing better than others, its the same backwater states that always bring the US down doing what they do best.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...accine-tracker

Originally Posted by scilly

I heard on the radio this morning that Canada now has 80% of people over the age of 12 having had the first jab, and just under 60% of the same age group fully vaccinated.

The US vaccination rate is much much lower than either of those two figures, and for people over the age of 18.

The other thing is that people from other countries as well as Canada might not be admitted into the US even if fully vaccinated if they have either the AstroZeneca vaccine (possibly only the version made in India, that wasn't too clear), or mixed vaccinations of Pfizer and Moderna, or AZ and either of the other 2 They have not approved the AZ vaccine, and have made no decision on mixed vaccines.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scilly

The problem is that many or some ( depending on opinion and perception ) Covid reglualtions are neither logic nor are they understandable or "science based". In this case it's most likely political.

I also regarding the US approach would have expected more from the Biden administration. Given his Irish background, given his emphasis on that, the US could have easily given unused Covid vaccines to the Irish, when the EU procurement process was far behind the British one. There wasn't even a single mention of that and Ireland isn't such a big country in terms of population size.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Canadians provided they haven't been in a blacklisted country in the past 14 days have been free to fly into the US without issue the entire pandemic, one will need a negative test result done in the 3 days prior to arrival, but vaccination is not required currently for entering the US.
I am not aware that Canadians are to date able to enter the US by air for non essential reasons. I only knew that last year this kind of loophole seemed possible.

As far as I know, the land border as well as by air is closed to non essential travel.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 12:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The problem is that many or some ( depending on opinion and perception ) Covid reglualtions are neither logic nor are they understandable or "science based". In this case it's most likely political..
The ones that are not science based tend to be those used by countries who fared badly initially, continue to fare badly; and insist on repeating what made them fare badly.

I suspect that's not quite what you mean though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.