Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 14th 2020, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango View Post
with a bit of a self-centered attitude
Pot, meet kettle.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

If you're referring that tin can as an airplane you're well advised that the air quality inside a plane is as clean as it can be, even to the levels of an operating theatre in a hospital. Busses and trains are certainly worse, for infections. Oddly singing in public and in confined spaces, especially religious services are really a bad idea these days.

As a citizen it's my right to disagree with the government. I think that many things in the Corona pandemic could have been handled better and differently by the Canadian government. Compulsory masks were introduced way too late in Canada for instance. Also the lack of tracking is an issue, other countries introduced Corona apps for cell phones, some made them even mandatory. Regarding travel, there should be a number of countries marked as a green and as a red list, - like they do in Europe. Those who return from the countries of red list must quarantine or pay the price of the test, and that precisely must be policed properly with a strong focus.

Also the Canadian government hasn't looked very much at other countries, ( except for the negative example of the Trump - US ) and only considered themselves as the right ones with the right choices, with a bit of a self-centered attitude. I find that rather sad and even surprising. I haven't been absent from Canada that long, but maybe the country changed very much in the recent months?

FWIW, I agree completely with you. The 14 day quarantine requirement IS ridiculous and not well thought out. Our government is being lazy in just blanket applying it to other countries.

If I choose to leave the country (I am already in Canada and haven't been outside the country since Feb.) while mandatory quarantine is still in effect I will not leave the country unless I do not have anything urgent to return to so I can wait it out abroad until it is relaxed. I'm like you, I will not stay in my house for 14 days. Probably the only property I would be content not leaving for 14 days is a resort in the Carribbean and you guessed it that is not in Canada.

BUT Despite all that I also realize people like you and I are powerless to change the requirements (even though we should have more of a voice), so we either live with them or avoid them. At some point if the requirement to isolate goes on and on I will need to evaluate my travel needs with potentially not seeing family/friends for months while waiting the quarantine out abroad, and having enough money to support myself whilst outside the country, or just not travelling at all.

Since AFAIK you currently have a residence abroad I would just wait it out. Currently the restrictions have been extended to August 31st. Wait 6 more weeks, and if they extend again reevaluate, if they drop the restrictions at that time then just come on over without worrying about isolation.

If the restrictions are dropped on 31st August I will be out of the country on Sept 6 or 7. If not, it's not an urgent enough trip to warrant self-isolating when I get back.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, there are whistle blowers phoning police forces and the RCMP across the country regarding people seen walking around who should be in quarantine.

So it just isn't the police or Border services who are watching.

Ordinary citizens in general dislike those who break these laws, especially after all the care that we have taken to keep ourselves, our loved ones, and others safe.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
FWIW, there are whistle blowers phoning police forces and the RCMP across the country regarding people seen walking around who should be in quarantine.

So it just isn't the police or Border services who are watching.

Ordinary citizens in general dislike those who break these laws, especially after all the care that we have taken to keep ourselves, our loved ones, and others safe.
The situation you're describing would be reminiscent of Nazi Germany. There was always one designated man for a certain designated block of houses, who was to report anything suspicious and not in line with Nazi policies to the Gestapo, who was then put in charge for further action.The next step would have been an interrogation......being sent to a camp, and / or never be seen in public again. The system in place also relied on "good" citizens reporting everything to this designated man which they deemed as being "not in line" with the Nazi-doctrine..... Communist Russia operated in a similar way in these regards.

I am relying that Canada has not implemented such a system during the pandemic.

Canada doesn't even seem to be able to police those US-Americans travelling from the US in their car to Alaska. Policing these travellers from and to Alaska would probably be the easiest.

Only certain hotel reservations on the way, only a certain route, possibly even tracking this route with a tracking device in the car. Hotel reservations would have to be shown to the CBSA officer. Only stopping for fuel, also a recent statement of technical inspection of the car, so it doesn't break down during the trip, Also expecting to bring their own food for the trip from the US and not stopping for shopping for food. And also "Red Flags" rising, when a car with a certain make, model or license plate doesn't make it within a designated time to the Alaska border. As far as I know, so far, only one single $1000 fine has been issued, even though the law seems to have been broken with regularity.

That all said would still leave unforeseen issues like mechanical problems with the car, or medical emergencies or even accidents. The whole drive is not exactly short.

And then there is the question of a Canadian citizen, who is either currently residing has resided in the US, with the appropriate US visa and is "pretending to be driving to Alaska" whilst he / she is more interested in returning to Canada and avoid the quarantine?

Canada would really be well advised to introduce a "red-green" list of countries. The US would certainly be on the "red" list, at least currently.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jul 15th 2020 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 5:18 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The situation you're describing would be reminiscent of Nazi Germany. There was always one designated man for a certain designated block of houses, who was to report anything suspicious and not in line with Nazi policies to the Gestapo, who was then put in charge for further action.The next step would have been an interrogation......being sent to a camp, and / or never be seen in public again. The system in place also relied on "good" citizens reporting everything to this designated man which they deemed as being "not in line" with the Nazi-doctrine..... Communist Russia operated in a similar way in these regards.

I am relying that Canada has not implemented such a system during the pandemic.

Canada doesn't even seem to be able to police those US-Americans travelling from the US in their car to Alaska. Policing these travellers from and to Alaska would probably be the easiest.

Only certain hotel reservations on the way, only a certain route, possibly even tracking this route with a tracking device in the car. Hotel reservations would have to be shown to the CBSA officer. Only stopping for fuel, also a recent statement of technical inspection of the car, so it doesn't break down during the trip, Also expecting to bring their own food for the trip from the US and not stopping for shopping for food. And also "Red Flags" rising, when a car with a certain make, model or license plate doesn't make it within a designated time to the Alaska border. As far as I know, so far, only one single $1000 fine has been issued, even though the law seems to have been broken with regularity.

That all said would still leave unforeseen issues like mechanical problems with the car, or medical emergencies or even accidents. The whole drive is not exactly short.

And then there is the question of a Canadian citizen, who is either currently residing has resided in the US, with the appropriate US visa and is "pretending to be driving to Alaska" whilst he / she is more interested in returning to Canada and avoid the quarantine?

Canada would really be well advised to introduce a "red-green" list of countries. The US would certainly be on the "red" list, at least currently.
I would report it if I knew someone was supposed to be in quarantine and was out and about without a very good reason - i.e. an emergency. There's no need to endanger others just because they don't feel like they want to adhere to the quarantine requirements. I'm sure there are many others who would too .

Perhaps read this before you make a final decision
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/great-...toms-1.4981669

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 15th 2020 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I would report it if I knew someone was supposed to be in quarantine and was out and about without a very good reason - i.e. an emergency. There's no need to endanger others just because they don't feel like they want to adhere to the quarantine requirements. I'm sure there are many others who would too .

Perhaps read this before you make a final decision
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/great-...toms-1.4981669
I know you would.

I don't think that the ctvnews article is correct. Same as you seem to think that testing is not correct. They love to write these stories.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 5:40 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I know you would.

I don't think that the ctvnews article is correct. Same as you seem to think that testing is not correct. They love to write these stories.
You seem to have a strong negative opinion about me.

Sadly the ctv news is correct, I wish it wasn't! - I have read hundreds of comments on the forums they have mentioned... and they are not the only news to publish this. You can believe what you like... that's your choice...... however, when you publicly state that it's your intention to flaunt the regulations you should not be surprised that you receive negative feedback.

Belief that the testing isn't correct??? I have stated that my nephew was informed by the authorities that the test was wrong 70% of the time - false positives, false negatives - just as has been reported repeatedly elsewhere; a lot depends when the test is performed i.e. at what stage of infection you might be. Facts are facts..

The offer still stands to assist in helping to find suitable accommodation if you decide you still need to return.. something perhaps like a garden apartment..

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 16th 2020 at 5:12 am. Reason: sp
Old Jul 15th 2020, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

You seem to have a strong negative opinion about me.

Sadly the ctv news is correct, I wish it wasn't! - I have read thousands of comments on the forums they have mentioned... and they are not the only news to publish this. You can believe what you like... that's your choice...... however, when you publicly state that it's your intention to flaut the regulations you should not be surprised that you receive negative feedback.

Belief that the testing isn't correct??? I have stated that my nephew was informed by the authorities that the test was wrong 70% of the time - false positives, false negatives - just as has been reported repeatedly elsewhere; a lot depends when the test is performed i.e. at what stage of infection you might be. Facts are facts..

The offer still stands to assist in helping to find suitable accommodation if you decide you still need to return.. something perhaps like a garden apartment..
Maybe it's that testing equipment or the kind of tests in Canada are not the same as in Europe? They seem to be very accurate in Europe about test results. Maybe that 14 day quarantine is the only answer to the overburdened provincial healthcare they talk about sometimes on the CBS?

I'd rather look for my own accomodation, - you'd only have pleasure reporting me to the authorities and you would probably have your binoculars out all day, fixed at my door, to see if I was leaving. :-)

I'll be waiting until September for a bit longer. Maybe things change by then to a red list green list of countries system.

Old Jul 15th 2020, 10:22 pm

Maybe it's that testing equipment or the kind of tests in Canada are not the same as in Europe? They seem to be very accurate in Europe about test results. Maybe that 14 day quarantine is the only answer to the overburdened provincial healthcare they talk about sometimes on the CBS?

I'd rather look for my own accomodation, - you'd only have pleasure reporting me to the authorities and you would probably have your binoculars out all day, fixed at my door, to see if I was leaving. :-)

I'll be waiting until September for a bit longer. Maybe things change by then to a red list green list of countries system.
The testing in Europe is no more accurate https://research-information.bris.ac...m1808.full.pdf

Sigh, I highly doubt that you want to be in the same neighborhood let alone the same City....... nor would I want you to be! The offer still stands........ and I sincerely wish you luck whatever you end up deciding / doing.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 10:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​I really doubt she has the time or inclination to do that tbh.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 11:04 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

As a citizen it's my right to disagree with the government
But not to break the law...
Old Jul 15th 2020, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are many others who would too .
In a heartbeat!
Old Jul 15th 2020, 11:14 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick View Post
In a heartbeat!
Yep, quite right too.

I’m about to move over & spend two weeks quarantining in a basement apt. at the height of summer with just a patio as outside space.

Covid has forced us all to change our lives and plans. Either suck it up and get on with it or delay your move until quarantine is no longer required.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

On July 9, OPP say they got a call for assistance from the Public Health Agency of Canada. Officers were asked to do a compliance check under the Quarantine Act in East Ferris Township, east of North Bay, Ont.

Police found two people travelling from Florida had entered Canada in Fort Erie to attend a seasonal property on July 3. Officers found "the couple were non-compliant with the mandatory 14-day self-isolation requirement upon entering Canada."

Staff Sgt. William McMullen says a 68-year-old and 70-year-old were charged with failure to comply with Section 58 of the Quarantine Act, which puts limitations and conditions on entrance into Canada.

They were also each issued a Provincial Offence Notice that includes a fine of $1,000. The maximum penalty if convicted is $750,000 and/or six months in prison.
In a press release issued on Tuesday, police stated both people charged were from Florida. Police later confirmed to CBC News on Wednesday that the couple lives in Florida but one person is a Canadian citizen who lives and works in the United States.

McMullen says police were not called to question where the people were from, rather whether they were following the rules under the Quarantine Act.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...rges-1.5648703

I suggest you read the comments section at the end of the article to see what Canadians think about these types of people.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/...139312.article

It does seem like certain influential figures and organisations are pushing the Canadian government to rethink its blanket restrictions. Personally I really can't see any measures being relaxed for travellers from Europe and Asia whilst restrictions are still applied to Americans though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.