British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/quarantine-covid-19-discussions-933679/)

Stumpylegs Mar 17th 2021 9:28 pm

Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12984739)
When we travelled last year we had a stopover at Toronto and then took another flight to our final destination where we self isolated for 2 weeks. If we returned under the current requirements do we have to stay 3 days in a Toronto quarantine hotel before the next leg of our flight.?

Correct - aircanada will help out though, they offer to adjust connecting flights by 3 days foc to allow for the quarantine.

Other half has her flights booked and is just doing 2 weeks in Toronto (3 days in hotel, 11 in Airbnb) for simplicity.

Gozit Apr 14th 2021 5:54 pm

Any news on when Canada will allow quarantine-free travel for vaccinated Canadians who travel abroad?

I am eligible in Ontario's Phase 2 of vaccinations and I would certainly be putting more effort into finding an appointment if I knew I was able to travel quarantine-free.

There was words of an announcement on the main covid thread but I can't seem to find anything

DMajor Apr 14th 2021 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12995332)
Any news on when Canada will allow quarantine-free travel for vaccinated Canadians who travel abroad?

I am eligible in Ontario's Phase 2 of vaccinations and I would certainly be putting more effort into finding an appointment if I knew I was able to travel quarantine-free.

There was words of an announcement on the main covid thread but I can't seem to find anything

It's all gone a bit messy.
There's no clarification on anything.
Some people are getting jab #2 before their partners have received jab #1
Some areas are still doing it in age groups and some are no age restrictions.
So many appointments going begging where people haven't shown up, it's a complete mess!
You now know why these idiots go into politics, probably unemployable in the 'real' world..

Gozit Apr 14th 2021 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by DMajor (Post 12995350)
It's all gone a bit messy.
There's no clarification on anything.
Some people are getting jab #2 before their partners have received jab #1
Some areas are still doing it in age groups and some are no age restrictions.
So many appointments going begging where people haven't shown up, it's a complete mess!
You now know why these idiots go into politics, probably unemployable in the 'real' world..

Yep agreed, the whole thing has been messed up from the start both by the federal gov and the provincial here in ON.

As for the federal quarantine the government simply have failed/refused to follow the science. At the beginning of the pandemic the majority of cases were imported from travel. Now it is community transmission. Travel has naught to do with cases so the quarantine should be dropped. Keep the 3 nights in the hotel and once negative test #2 is received go to the alberta model requiring increased public health measures from day 3-14 such as outdoor masking, not returning to work unless employer approves, staying away from vulnerable people and in general limit contact but stop short of requiring a full 14 days of in-home quarantine.

Mordko Apr 15th 2021 1:50 am

Unlike some folks here, I never received the detailed briefings and the data the government gets to help them make a decision. So, its harder for me to judge definitively if they are wrong or terribly wrong. Still, I can see some logic in trying not to import new variants.

Gozit Apr 17th 2021 5:38 pm

Does anyone know if after the 3 day quarantine it is OK to have a friend or family come and pick you up from the quarantine hotel as long as you are wearing a mask and they are taking you straight to quarantine destination? Or do I have to have my own private vehicle or a taxi/uber? (Cab/uber is $200+ from YYZ to my destination so i'd rather not if I don't have to.)

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 17th 2021 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12996369)
Does anyone know if after the 3 day quarantine it is OK to have a friend or family come and pick you up from the quarantine hotel as long as you are wearing a mask and they are taking you straight to quarantine destination? Or do I have to have my own private vehicle or a taxi/uber? (Cab/uber is $200+ from YYZ to my destination so i'd rather not if I don't have to.)

I'd think you could have a friend or family pick you up considering they will permit people to fly onwards to the final destination after the 3 day hotel stop-over, the government website is frustratingly vague though on it.

Siouxie Apr 17th 2021 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12996369)

Good question! The Govt website doesn't appear to give a directive per se.. more implied.

Perhaps you could rent a vehicle... a 1 way 1/2 day rental would be far cheaper than a cab (from $60) - and keep your family members from having to quarantine with you!
See this page: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

Avoid stops and contact with others while in transit to quarantine:
  • Use a private vehicle if possible

and here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

You'll need to confirm you have a suitable place to quarantine where you:
  • stay for 14 days or possibly longer
  • have access to the necessities of life, including water, food, medication and heat without leaving quarantine
  • can avoid contact with others who did not travel with you
  • have no visits from family or guests

Gozit Apr 17th 2021 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12996376)
I'd think you could have a friend or family pick you up considering they will permit people to fly onwards to the final destination after the 3 day hotel stop-over, the government website is frustratingly vague though on it.

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12996401)
Good question! The Govt website doesn't appear to give a directive per se.. more implied.

Perhaps you could rent a vehicle... a 1 way 1/2 day rental would be far cheaper than a cab (from $60) - and keep your family members from having to quarantine with you!
See this page: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

and here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

Rental cars are expensive for me due to the underage surcharge...I quoted a one way rental and it came out at $200+ from enterprise, same as taking a cab. And then there's the issue that I wouldn't be going direct to my place of quarantine, I would be going hotel to rental car company then driving 200kms home then to the car rental drop off, and having family come pick me up from there anyway...that whole thing definitely seems in contravention of "go straight to your place of quarantine."

As far as I understand it, unless the legislation has changed, I am permitted to quarantine in my family home as long as there are no health care workers (there aren't) and that I commit in my quarantine plan to staying in my bedroom as much as possible, separate bathrooms (I have an ensuite) wearing a mask while using common spaces of the house or while in transit to get to an outdoor balcony/backyard type space.

Yes I agree the epidimiology of COVID stipulates that I should probably get a hotel or airbnb for 14 days and stay there instead of in my home with others, however the law seems to indicate that quarantining with family is not a problem as long as you do your best to stay distant from them, and they do not have to quarantine either.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 17th 2021 10:20 pm

If you don't want to pay for the 3 day hotel stay, tell the officials on arrival you can't afford it, Global News reported a few days ago the feds will cover the cost.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7753422/c...-bills-canada/

"In fact, the government is providing free accommodations at one of the most comfortable spots on Toronto’s airport strip: all someone arriving from outside Canada needs to tell health officers is that they can’t afford the three-day package at one of the 19 hotels enrolled in the government program."

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2021 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12996412)
Rental cars are expensive for me due to the underage surcharge...I quoted a one way rental and it came out at $200+ from enterprise, same as taking a cab. And then there's the issue that I wouldn't be going direct to my place of quarantine, I would be going hotel to rental car company then driving 200kms home then to the car rental drop off, and having family come pick me up from there anyway...that whole thing definitely seems in contravention of "go straight to your place of quarantine."

As far as I understand it, unless the legislation has changed, I am permitted to quarantine in my family home as long as there are no health care workers (there aren't) and that I commit in my quarantine plan to staying in my bedroom as much as possible, separate bathrooms (I have an ensuite) wearing a mask while using common spaces of the house or while in transit to get to an outdoor balcony/backyard type space.

Yes I agree the epidimiology of COVID stipulates that I should probably get a hotel or airbnb for 14 days and stay there instead of in my home with others, however the law seems to indicate that quarantining with family is not a problem as long as you do your best to stay distant from them, and they do not have to quarantine either.

It has been said many times on TV...apparently a Canadian citizen when entering Canada has the right to go home. Many citizens at Pearson refused to go into a hotel and there was nothing the police could do.

Gozit Apr 17th 2021 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12996414)
It has been said many times on TV...apparently a Canadian citizen when entering Canada has the right to go home. Many citizens at Pearson refused to go into a hotel and there was nothing the police could do.

I saw a report the other day that some had been fined $3,000 for not checking in to a hotel.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5988378

Personally, the extra cost is gratefully not a problem for me and as much as I disagree with the concept of quarantine in general if you have multiple negative tests I would rather have the peace of mind knowing I did what I had to do and no one was going to come after me or try to charge me for it.

Gozit Apr 17th 2021 10:36 pm

Yeah, after reading the article JSmth posted...I would definitely rather take the quarantine hotel I have to pay for. Even if I didn't have the money that is what credit cards are for. No alcohol or outside delivery? How else do they expect you to cope with being forced into essentially prison without committing a crime?

bats Apr 17th 2021 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12996414)

Yes, i had read that too and knowing that it's what I would try to do. Tricky though in the face of authority,. Last year Canadian citizen friends of mine were held at the land border as their planned quarantine wasn't approved. Eventually they were allowed into the country,
its not just Canada tgats doing this. Another friend is moving from England to Northern Ireland and she has to quarantine for 10 days

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2021 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12996415)
I saw a report the other day that some had been fined $3,000 for not checking in to a hotel.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5988378

Personally, the extra cost is gratefully not a problem for me and as much as I disagree with the concept of quarantine in general if you have multiple negative tests I would rather have the peace of mind knowing I did what I had to do and no one was going to come after me or try to charge me for it.

I only skimmed the article, but didn’t see it state they were citizens.