Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 1:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
First time I've seen variable costs mentioned, from the link: "Costs of these hotel stopovers may vary by location" I had understood it was a fixed price of $2000 for up to 14 days. Seems not.
It was never going to be a fixed price. From the get go, they said it could cost over $2000. I think that was a method to deter people who thought they'd just be able to offset a cheap winter break by paying for 3 nights in a $100 motel when they got back.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:25 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

First time I've seen variable costs mentioned, from the link: "Costs of these hotel stopovers may vary by location" I had understood it was a fixed price of $2000 for up to 14 days. Seems not.
The +/- $2,000 is for the initial 3 night mandatory hotel stay while you wait for the results of the covid test - not 14 days. If you develop symptoms / test positive you would be taken from the hotel to a Govt facility, if negative then you are able to go to where you have arranged privately to self isolate/quarantine for the remainder of the 14 days.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

By early summer virtually every eligible adult in the UK should be vaccinated - I get mine this week. The UK and other countries are talking about vaccine passports which seems an eminently sensible way to fast track opening things up and I hope they bring it in fast. Canada however seems resistant to the idea, are they really going to insist that travellers with no symptoms, a clear test and a vaccine certificate quarantine?
Old Feb 24th 2021, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The +/- $2,000 is for the initial 3 night mandatory hotel stay while you wait for the results of the covid test - not 14 days. If you develop symptoms / test positive you would be taken from the hotel to a Govt facility, if negative then you are able to go to where you have arranged privately to self isolate/quarantine for the remainder of the 14 days.
So what will be the cost of "detention" in a government facility?
Old Feb 24th 2021, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Come to Canada and pay to go to Jail..

But if you have a few quid, fly to Buffalo and walk over the bridge and get a cab...lol
Old Feb 24th 2021, 3:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Less than the costs of virus spread I imagine.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine the Govt would be paying for it so not really an issue if that is the case.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMajor
Come to Canada and pay to go to Jail..

But if you have a few quid, fly to Buffalo and walk over the bridge and get a cab...lol
So arrivals by land can can avoid the $2000 quarantine? Canada must think covid prefers air travel!
Seriously I would consider that as an option as I have an aversion to having my leg so blatantly lifted but I don't think the we are allowed to fly to the US at the moment.

Old Feb 25th 2021, 1:29 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Costs taken from CBC "The Acclaim hotel in Calgary charges $611, including taxes, for the three nights, an employee said.
That's a significant price difference from the Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport hotel, which, according to an employee, charges $1,827, including taxes.""A traveller flying to Toronto, who did not want her name published, showed CBC News her quarantine hotel booking confirmation at the Four Points by Sheraton. It totalled $1089.41 including taxes."
Old Feb 25th 2021, 1:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Costs taken from CBC "The Acclaim hotel in Calgary charges $611, including taxes, for the three nights, an employee said.
That's a significant price difference from the Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport hotel, which, according to an employee, charges $1,827, including taxes.""A traveller flying to Toronto, who did not want her name published, showed CBC News her quarantine hotel booking confirmation at the Four Points by Sheraton. It totalled $1089.41 including taxes."
Every hotel will have different operating costs so no real surprise rates vary by property.

Old Feb 25th 2021, 1:55 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Every hotel will have different operating costs so no real surprise rates vary by property.
Of course it isn't but that's not what many were expecting so it's worth posting.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Canada however seems resistant to the idea, are they really going to insist that travellers with no symptoms, a clear test and a vaccine certificate quarantine?
I have that sad feeling that the answer to your question is a straight yes. The Canadian government is obsessed with quarantine.

I have been trying to return to Canada for a year now and it seems it's going to be another year.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I have that sad feeling that the answer to your question is a straight yes. The Canadian government is obsessed with quarantine.

I have been trying to return to Canada for a year now and it seems it's going to be another year.
Sorry gotta call you out on this.
Many have returned to Canada within the last year without the requirement to quarantine but you chose not to. It has only been since February that persons now flying into Canada now have to quarantine for a minimum of 3 days at a facility at one of the 4 airports and pay for it themselves. Don't people also have to quarantine arriving from the 33 or so Red countries on arrival in the UK? Other countries also do it so not just Canada in your words obsessed with quarantine procedures.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Sorry gotta call you out on this.
Many have returned to Canada within the last year without the requirement to quarantine but you chose not to. It has only been since February that persons now flying into Canada now have to quarantine for a minimum of 3 days at a facility at one of the 4 airports and pay for it themselves. Don't people also have to quarantine arriving from the 33 or so Red countries on arrival in the UK? Other countries also do it so not just Canada in your words obsessed with quarantine procedures.
Sorry, gotta call you out on this as well.

In addition to these obligatory 3 days, and the hotel bill, there is still the 14 day quarantine with a fine of 700 K for non compliance, or a jail sentence. That went on for nearly one year now. I was unaware that things would turn out more challenging than before and I'd suggest none of us could have predicted that.

At least the UK distinguishes between infection rates in various countries. Apart from Portugal, there isn't another EU country on the list. Not even the US with their high infection rate seems currently on that list.

In Canada the rule is for all, regardless. ( or maybe except St. Pierre & Miquelon ?) Hawaii is / was exempt for some time as well?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Feb 26th 2021 at 3:33 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Several Canadian citizens arriving at Pearson, Toronto have refused to go into the quarantine hotels. It’s reported here that Canadian citizens have the right to enter the country and go home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.