Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 13th 2020, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
And before you keep going on with your opinion, pls be assured that some people will face financial problems and I myself happen to be one of them. Using words like "don't travel" or "don't be selfish" or other remarks which I've read hear won't help much, if there are no alternatives. Or are you happy to support me financially for 14 days? In a big house with a big garden, as some other user suggested?
So you can afford to pay the $750k fine if caught, but can't afford to rent a house?
Old Jul 13th 2020, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So you can afford to pay the $750k fine if caught, but can't afford to rent a house?
One needs to be caught and tried and convicted first. Ultimately it's down to a judge.

However, I think this line of discussion is going the wrong way. This is destined to be a direction which goes easily out of hand.

Maybe Canada will offer testing at some point like other countries do.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jul 13th 2020 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 5:56 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

This "new normal" and "in this together" attitude is beginning to offend me, as it doesn't depict the individual challenges and the real reality behind it.
The question has been posed many times, but you still have not answered; do you understand that by failing to quarantine, you are potentially endangering the lives of others?
Old Jul 13th 2020, 6:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

And yes, the question still stands, why can't Canada offer testing at the airport while other countries clearly can....
Posted earlier - "For countries adding cases and deaths daily it's probably quite different."
Not just at the airport on arrival, there's 5 days later testing too, as mentioned above.

So one can self isolate for 14 days with zero impact on anyone else or one can pay someone to go out of their way to attend and carry out a test - neglecting the work they would otherwise be doing because the country is still having current cases, new cases and deaths and then that has to be done again 5 days later while there was still some risk to others for a 5 day period. The 14 day period of self discipline and/or benefit to others and zero impact on anyone else sounds like the best option.

To me the idea seems akin to paying for preferential treatment.

There was reference to other countries doing the airport and 5 days later tests and they appear to be countries without too much of an ongoing problem with current cases, new cases and deaths. Horses for courses.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
The question has been posed many times, but you still have not answered; do you understand that by failing to quarantine, you are potentially endangering the lives of others?
With a negative test, not. I think this discussion is going nowhere.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 6:35 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

As has already been established, there will be no test at the airport, and even if there was it wouldn’t show if you had caught Covid on the plane.

With that in mind, would you like to take another crack at answering the question?
Old Jul 13th 2020, 6:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, my nephew is a paramedic in Ontario - he tested negative several times - and was told that there is a 70% chance of the test being incorrect... - he was made to isolate for more than 14 days! Additionally you will not KNOW that you are testing negatively during those 14 days - you could come into contact with someone at the airport - on the plane - on the train going to the airport (or a taxi at either end) -- that's what you don't seem to 'get'... either quarantine yourself here or don't bother coming.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 13th 2020 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 6:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82

One needs to be caught and tried and convicted first. Ultimately it's down to a judge.

However, I think this line of discussion is going the wrong way. This is destined to be a direction which goes easily out of hand.

Maybe Canada will offer testing at some point like other countries do.
You can be fined $1000 on the spot.... every time you are found outside of your quarantine area.

The Contraventions Act has been changed to give police (including RCMP, provincial and local police) more power to enforce the Quarantine Act. They can now issue tickets to people who do not comply with the act. Fines range from $275 to $1000.
Many of us have been severely impacted financially - including my son who lost his job, so yes, I understand the financial implications.. thank you..

By the way, this wasn't your topic - I moved the posts from another thread It's for general discussions regarding Quarantine

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 13th 2020 at 6:55 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With respect, my nephew is a paramedic in Ontario - he tested negative several times - and was told that there is a 70% chance of the test being incorrect... additionally you will not KNOW that you are testing negatively during those 14 days - you could come into contact with someone at the airport - on the plane - on the train going to the airport (or a taxi at either end) -- that's what you don't seem to 'get'... either quarantine yourself here or don't bother coming.
As said, it's that stubborn attitude which bothers me. Why are other countries doing tests at airports and are actually successful? Do they just test for the fun of it? Or for generating an income? Is it so difficult to understand for you? Do you understand that it's a difference between Ireland, Iceland or Brazil?

In the end, I don't have to discuss these things with you.

It's also about things "you don't get". ...sadly.....

Old Jul 13th 2020, 7:00 pm
Banned

As said, it's that stubborn attitude which bothers me. Why are other countries doing tests at airports and are actually successful? Do they just test for the fun of it? Or for generating an income? Is it so difficult to understand for you? Do you understand that it's a difference between Ireland, Iceland or Brazil?

In the end, I don't have to discuss these things with you.

It's also about things "you don't get". ...sadly.....
Do you understand that those countries are tiny compared to Canada ... with few cases, comparitively?
Do you understand that all the test can tell you is that you are not sick at that particular moment in time -- an hour or a day later you could test positive. Perhaps you should check the science behind it all before being sarcastic.

Quite honestly I despair and have no wish to further converse with you as long as you continue to be determined to flaunt the laws of our Country and put people in danger

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 13th 2020 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Iceland??!

Are you REALLY holding them up as a model of Covid-19 containment??

How do you explain this simple set of statistics which show that Iceland's rate of infection per million of population is getting on for twice as high as Canada. Then look at the graph for 'new cases in the last 60 days' and explain to me why Icelands daily new infections is climbing like an F-15 on afterburners. Perhaps backward and ill-informed Canada has the right idea after all?

Old Jul 13th 2020, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do you understand that those countries are tiny compared to Canada ... with few cases, comparitively?
Do you understand that all the test can tell you is that you are not sick at that particular moment in time -- an hour or a day later you could test positive. Perhaps you should check the science behind it all before being sarcastic.

Quite honestly I despair and have no wish to further converse with you as long as you continue to be determined to flaunt the laws of our Country and put people in danger
Check the science? OK, - let's check the science: CBC Radio 1 ( and I listen to that regularly here ) reported on large gatherings on various parks in Toronto, or on beaches, not respecting distancing rules. Legalizing Cannabis doesn't put anybody in danger, correct? It's complete safe to use? However, somebody just dropping out in the middle of the night to buy some food is to be fined?

Sadly I am seeing a side of Canada, which should better be left, where it is and preferably not visible to me....

I also have no real interest in discussing with you. As I said, I don't see the point of the conversation, it's going nowhere, or in circles.....
Old Jul 13th 2020, 8:33 pm
Banned

Check the science? OK, - let's check the science: CBC Radio 1 ( and I listen to that regularly here ) reported on large gatherings on various parks in Toronto, or on beaches, not respecting distancing rules. Legalizing Cannabis doesn't put anybody in danger, correct? It's complete safe to use? However, somebody just dropping out in the middle of the night to buy some food is to be fined?

Sadly I am seeing a side of Canada, which should better be left, where it is and preferably not visible to me....

I also have no real interest in discussing with you. As I said, I don't see the point of the conversation, it's going nowhere, or in circles.....

Cannabis is not a highly infectious VIRUS - you can't infect someone if you have smoked a joint.. hardly the same thing.

Not forgetting those who are asymptomatic - i.e. carriers without symptoms ... the potential silent killers worldwide.

I just hope that you self quarantine if you return to Canada.. best of luck

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 13th 2020 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Also keep in mind if you don't isolate and a death is connected to you not isolating for the 14 days the penalties are much harsher.

Old Jul 13th 2020, 9:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Also keep in mind if you don't isolate and a death is connected to you not isolating for the 14 days the penalties are much harsher.
I doubt they'd ever be able to prove that one in a court of law tbh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.