Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Feb 11th 2021, 11:34 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
UK enforced quarantine doesn't apply to travellers from the Indian Sub Continent. It is mainly just South America and South Africa that is affected. As far as Canada is concerned I think the hotel accommodation should be free for all Canadians be they PRs/ Citizens/ COPR holders who were aboard at the time it was announced. We landed last spring but if our family of 6 had been caught up in this it would have meant an unexpected $12000 bill!
No this isn't related to travel. AB and (I think) ON have hotels the local government have rented and they offer them to people who have symptoms but can't self-isolate safely at home e.g. people in their 20's who live with 2 generations of family members etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canada waives the cost for returning citizens and PR's who have been out the country long term or are returning from essential overseas travel. It's only going to up to 3 days in most cases whereas the UK requires everyone returning from a red list country to spend the full 10 days in the quarantine hotel. IMO, it could be the case that they invoice you when you leave the quarantine hotel in Canada and then you have a number of weeks or months to either pay up or argue an exemption.

Canada is a country that needs a consistent stream of immigrants and foreign workers to survive. It's a foundation of the entire economy. The measures in Canada aren't to deter immigrants, they're to discourage people from taking winter vacations. The problem is they won't be extending it to the US land border so many people will just bypass it that way anyway.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 11th 2021 at 11:36 am.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
No this isn't related to travel. AB and (I think) ON have hotels the local government have rented and they offer them to people who have symptoms but can't self-isolate safely at home e.g. people in their 20's who live with 2 generations of family members etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canada waives the cost for returning citizens and PR's who have been out the country long term or are returning from essential overseas travel. It's only going to up to 3 days in most cases whereas the UK requires everyone returning from a red list country to spend the full 10 days in the quarantine hotel. IMO, it could be the case that they invoice you when you leave the quarantine hotel in Canada and then you have a number of weeks or months to either pay up or argue an exemption.

Canada is a country that needs a consistent stream of immigrants and foreign workers to survive. It's a foundation of the entire economy. The measures in Canada aren't to deter immigrants, they're to discourage people from taking winter vacations. The problem is they won't be extending it to the US land border so many people will just bypass it that way anyway.
According to the link I gave about what hotels must comply with...

4. Basic infrastructure/functional requirements:

• Online registration, check-in and check-out procedures
    • Note: Travellers will be required to use a 3rd party centralized booking system to reserve and pre-pay their hotel stay
  • Able to load proposed rate for this initiative in the Apollo Global Distribution System (GDS) with a unique rate code. Alternatively, if the property is not on the Apollo GDS, it must be able to provide a unique rate code in order for the identified travel management company to book the rate.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
According to the link I gave about what hotels must comply with...
Well that shows me then.

How would they only going to enforce it on non-essential travellers in that case though? Especially since whether something is essential can often be a matter of opinion.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 7:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Well that shows me then.

How would they only going to the enforce it on non-essential travellers in that case though? Especially since whether something is essential can often be a matter of opinion.
The Covid test on arrival has to be paid for at the time so perhaps it will be booked and paid for at the airport on arrival as well, once a determination that the passenger travelled for non-essential reasons. They may have 'terminals' that you have to go to to do it! Your guess is as good as mine!
Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

The Covid test on arrival has to be paid for, so perhaps it will be booked and paid for at the airport on arrival, once a determination that the passenger travelled for non-essential reasons. Your guess is as good as mine!
The test on arrival is free at the moment although inevitably someone has to pay for it. Right now it only applies at Pearson if you if you intend on staying in Ontario. If you have a connection ticket for another province then you're exempt. They didn't charge me yesterday and in fact the entire process seemed very well streamlined and pretty straight forward tbh. The longest part was enrolling and to be fair I could have done that in advance, I just completely forgot.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:08 pm
Banned

The test on arrival is free at the moment although inevitably someone has to pay for it. Right now it only applies at Pearson if you if you intend on staying in Ontario. If you have a connection ticket for another province then you're exempt. They didn't charge me yesterday and in fact the entire process seemed very well streamlined and pretty straight forward tbh. The longest part was enrolling and to be fair I could have done that in advance, I just completely forgot.
That's because currently it's an Ontario, i.e. Provincial, requirement not Federal - the Federal test has to be paid for, according to the official website.

Congrats on arriving back in Canada Welcome home eh!
Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

That's because it's Ontario, i.e. Provincial, not Federal - the Federal test has to be paid for, according to the official website.

Congrats on arriving back in Canada Welcome home eh!
Thank you. The advice from you and JG among others in this thread definitely made things easier although I'd still say it's probably been the most stressful week of my life. I've been up since 6:30 this morning trying to sort out accounts left over in the UK that I didn't get to change/close before I left like utilities etc. Fortunately I think the pandemic may have actually made some of this slightly easier because most companies want to do everything online as much as possible atm so their happy to cancel stuff via email rather than requiring an international phone call.

Other than that, my short-term condo is quite nice while I wait through quarantine and I can find a more longer term one. The people managing this one actually want me to look at one or two of theirs they think could suit me quite well. I also have an appointment made with the bank to finalise my account for my first day of freedom. I'd actually forgotten how friendly and casual are a lot of the banks and other services can be here compared with their British counterparts. Only minor complaint is that I can't call the IRCC to chase my PR card because the phone number only works if you have a Canadian area code and the temporary SIM I'm using atm has a Pasadena number and is technically in roaming mode up here.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Why some want a total travel ban
A 29-year-old man has been charged after allegedly providing a false COVID-19 test result to inspectors at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.
Peel Regional Police say the incident took place on Monday, Feb. 8. at a Canada Border Services Agency inspection point, where a CBSA officer and public quarantine officer were conducting checks.
"When a man's negative COVID-19 document was revealed to be fraudulent, it was, in fact, a positive test result," police said in a news release Wednesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rson-1.5909286
That's been a problem in the UK for months. I'm surprised it took this long to become an issue in Canada. Before Christmas some countries in Africa and the Middle East started requiring pre-flight covid tests and it didn't take long for people to realise the certificate is just a basic PDF and anyone with rudimentary IT skill could mock one up for themselves, either to amend the result or just to save on the fee. I guess the ideal scenario would be some sort of international database where the reference number can be easily and quickly verified however that opens up potential privacy issues.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:17 am
Banned

Thank you. The advice from you and JG among others in this thread definitely made things easier although I'd still say it's probably been the most stressful week of my life. I've been up since 6:30 this morning trying to sort out accounts left over in the UK that I didn't get to change/close before I left like utilities etc. Fortunately I think the pandemic may have actually made some of this slightly easier because most companies want to do everything online as much as possible atm so their happy to cancel stuff via email rather than requiring an international phone call.

Other than that, my short-term condo is quite nice while I wait through quarantine and I can find a more longer term one. The people managing this one actually want me to look at one or two of theirs they think could suit me quite well. I also have an appointment made with the bank to finalise my account for my first day of freedom. I'd actually forgotten how friendly and casual are a lot of the banks and other services can be here compared with their British counterparts. Only minor complaint is that I can't call the IRCC to chase my PR card because the phone number only works if you have a Canadian area code and the temporary SIM I'm using atm has a Pasadena number and is technically in roaming mode up here.

As for the SIM - you could get a 711 speakout sim mailed to you for making local calls (or one of the other prepay deals elsewhere). https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/sim-c...kout-3in1-card just to tide you over for now..

Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:41 am
Sidecar Falcon

As for the SIM - you could get a 711 speakout sim mailed to you for making local calls (or one of the other prepay deals elsewhere). https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/sim-c...kout-3in1-card just to tide you over for now..
That's not a bad idea, thanks. I'm considering just getting a BYOD plan from somewhere like Cityfone atm though. They're offering 4GB plus unlimited calls and texts for $35 per month.

The SIM I'm using atm is great for most short term stuff tbh. I bought it for £29 from Amazon UK and it includes 5GB data and unlimited calls and texts in Canada and Mexico. It's prepaid for 21 days but I don't know how long Cityfone would take to process a SIM card anyway.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a bad idea, thanks. I'm considering just getting a BYOD plan from somewhere like Cityfone atm though. They're offering 4GB plus unlimited calls and texts for $35 per month.

The SIM I'm using atm is great for most short term stuff tbh. I bought it for £29 from Amazon UK and it includes 5GB data and unlimited calls and texts in Canada and Mexico. It's prepaid for 21 days but I don't know how long Cityfone would take to process a SIM card anyway.
Crazy prices, my UK sim only deal is £8 month for 4GB and unlimited calls/texts and no contract. When in Canada I use 7 eleven speakout, the prices are reasonable (for Canada) and the good thing is they don't expire.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 11:58 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Crazy prices, my UK sim only deal is £8 month for 4GB and unlimited calls/texts and no contract. When in Canada I use 7 eleven speakout, the prices are reasonable (for Canada) and the good thing is they don't expire.
Oh yeah, compared with the UK it's absolutely nuts. The prices you'd pay in parts of Canada for a BYOD plan would get you a free smartphone included in the UK. Speakout 30 day is $35 for 2GB plus unlimited calls and texts. Unfortunately I don't think PAYG would work because data gets really expensive that way. I found that out in Heathrow a couple of days ago with my new prepaid GiffGaff sim. Fortunately the airport offered free unlimited WiFi and it actually worked.

I've noticed some of the cheaper plans only include 3G data as well which is like stepping back in time compared with the UK at this point.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Looks Feb 22nd for hotel quarantine

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tra...rder-1.5911845
Old Feb 12th 2021, 4:13 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Looks Feb 22nd for hotel quarantine

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tra...rder-1.5911845
Son of a bitch. So I rushed like mad to pack up and travel earlier for basically nothing. That date is after when I was originally going to travel anyway. Ah well, it's done now I suppose.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Son of a bitch. So I rushed like mad to pack up and travel earlier for basically nothing. That date is after when I was originally going to travel anyway. Ah well, it's done now I suppose.
Trudeau seems to have turned fascist.

Is the Alberta option still there beyond Feb 22nd?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.