Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 29th 2021, 1:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The thing is, if they make you pay for a government mandated hotel room for 14 days, this regulation will probably be in effect for the remainder of the year.
It's a difficult system to manage. In Australia you don't pay for the hotel in advance and instead are invoiced at checkout. You can then arrange an interest free payment plan but that is only really effective if you limit it to citizens and permanent residents. There is technically nothing to stop a non-resident with a travel exemption from leaving the Australia after completing quarantine, having never paid a cent towards that hotel bill.

I think some other countries in Asia like Korea and Singapore take payment upon arrival however, in Korea at least, the program is open to everyone and hotel quarantine is only really required for visitors. Citizens and residents who can prove they have an adequate place to stay are allowed to quarantine at home instead.

The UK hotel quarantine policy applies only to people arriving from certain countries however I very much doubt the UK government's ability to enforce repayment.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It's a difficult system to manage. In Australia you don't pay for the hotel in advance and instead are invoiced at checkout. You can then arrange an interest free payment plan but that is only really effective if you limit it to citizens and permanent residents. There is technically nothing to stop a non-resident with a travel exemption from leaving the Australia after completing quarantine, having never paid a cent towards that hotel bill.

I think some other countries in Asia like Korea and Singapore take payment upon arrival however, in Korea at least, the program is open to everyone and hotel quarantine is only really required for visitors. Citizens and residents who can prove they have an adequate place to stay are allowed to quarantine at home instead.

The UK hotel quarantine policy applies only to people arriving from certain countries however I very much doubt the UK government's ability to enforce repayment.
That's not the question. It's more that you have to pay, not if in the beginning or at the end of the stay. Currently, as I understand, the government mandated hotel, if you yourself don't have a quarantine plan, is still for free.

They will with utter certainty make your return to Canada as miserable as possible.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 2:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

That's not the question. It's more that you have to pay, not if in the beginning or at the end of the stay. Currently, as I understand, the government mandated hotel, if you yourself don't have a quarantine plan, is still for free.
Yes I think that's correct but I also think they've used it very sparingly for that reason.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you were thinking of sneaking into Canada via Mexico to avoid quarantine, you're out of luck.

https://apnews.com/article/travel-ju...26b0eb4441cd9c
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If you were thinking of sneaking into Canada via Mexico to avoid quarantine, you're out of luck.

So 3 days at a quaranteen hotel then 11 days self isolation, supose that's better than the full 2 weeks in the hotel, which would have definitely ruled me out of travelling.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
So 3 days at a quaranteen hotel then 11 days self isolation, supose that's better than the full 2 weeks in the hotel, which would have definitely ruled me out of travelling.
It wasn't too hard to guess, what the government is up to. It's also a very safe bet that this doesn't end on April 30th.

$ 2000 for 3 days in a hotel is also a bit hefty.

Is the option via Alberta definitely called off as well?
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Depends on how you look at it. If you're a new immigrant, a refugee or a returning resident with no local ties then it's a nightmare. You can book accommodation to start 3 days after your arrival but then if they clear you in 24 hours then you're out on your arse. If you book secondary accommodation to start on the day of your arrival and wait for you in standby and then you're unlucky enough to test positive then that investment goes to waste.

Likewise, the idea of spending 11 days in a "government facility" is absolutely terrifying. I mean at least in the Australian, NZ or UK scenario you know exactly what you're in for. This is just adding more uncertainty to what is already a scary situation, what with the 72 hour pre-flight testing requirement. Spending $2k for up to 3 nights in an airport hotel is hardly good value for money either.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 29th 2021 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Is the option via Alberta definitely called off as well?
That's a good question actually, they never mentioned that.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

This won't fix that at all because you could still fly from Mexico to the US and then from the US to Canada. All Mexico does is allows you to dodge the 14 day restriction on Europe.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

darkneal is an unknown quantity at this point

wait....so i'm meant to start my new life in B.C/Vancouver on 1st March, and im suddenly expected to pay £1200 for 3 days forced hotel isolation now?! then still have to pay another grand at least to stay somewhere in quarantine for the next 11 days still?! so before ive even started my new life, i'm basically at least £2000 down on my savings!
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Depends on how you look at it. If you're a new immigrant, a refugee or a returning resident with no local ties then it's a nightmare. You can book accommodation to start 3 days after your arrival but then if they clear you in 24 hours then you're out on your arse. If you book secondary accommodation to start on the day of your arrival and wait for you in standby and then you're unlucky enough to test positive then that investment goes to waste.

Likewise, the idea of spending 11 days in a "government facility" is absolutely terrifying. I mean at least in the Australian, NZ or UK scenario you know exactly what you're in for. This is just adding more uncertainty to what is already a scary situation, what with the 72 hour pre-flight testing requirement. Spending $2k for up to 3 nights in an airport hotel is hardly good value for money either.
I'd say anybody, either citizen, PR or immigrant trying to get to Canada is now seen as something like a "Persona non grata".
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I'd say anybody, either citizen, PR or immigrant trying to get to Canada is now seen as something like a "Persona non grata".
Pretty much, yeah. I honestly expected them to try and introduce an Australian style travel authorisation system today though so at least they didn't do that but this "solution" is clearly designed to introduce as much discomfort and uncertainty as possible.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by darkneal
wait....so i'm meant to start my new life in B.C/Vancouver on 1st March, and im suddenly expected to pay £1200 for 3 days forced hotel isolation now?! then still have to pay another grand at least to stay somewhere in quarantine for the next 11 days still?! so before ive even started my new life, i'm basically at least £2000 down on my savings!
I'm in a similar position. I'm supposed to start a new job in Ontario on 24th February and my current lease expires on the 16th so I was actually planning to fly out around 18th-20th and then start my new job from an Airbnb whilst in quarantine. Nothing dodgy there whatsoever.

I'm contemplating just calling off the whole thing now because it feels like Canada just doesn't want me. I can't start my new job from a quarantine hotel because I can't depend on that kind of WiFi and I think my new employer would want me to use their laptop rather than my own.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pretty much, yeah. I honestly expected them to try and introduce an Australian style travel authorisation system today though so at least they didn't do that but this "solution" is clearly designed to introduce as much discomfort and uncertainty as possible.
And since we are on the subject of Australia, their measures are clearly until the end of 2021. It's my strong guess, that Canada will follow suit on this as well. If Trudeau doesn't than Ford will convince him.

I think the government owes us citizens an answer at least on how long and not keep us guessing. They also owe us an anser for travellers who've already had that vaccine. ( Incidentally, it's been scientifically proven that anybody who's has the immunity after the Pfizer shot is clearly not contagious. Dr. Tam will certainly think otherwise..... )
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

darkneal is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in a similar position. I'm supposed to start a new job in Ontario on 24th February and my current lease expires on the 16th so I was actually planning to fly out around 18th-20th and then start my new job from an Airbnb whilst in quarantine. Nothing dodgy there whatsoever.

I'm contemplating just calling off the whole thing now because it feels like Canada just doesn't want me. I can't start my new job from a quarantine hotel because I can't depend on that kind of WiFi and I think my new employer would want me to use their laptop rather than my own.
from the sound of it there just isn't any choice either, from what everyone is saying its a long-term move. We either put up with it, or put off the move until 2022! ive already put off the move multiple times including as recently as the 1st of Feb, (was meant to move monday) BUT it just keeps getting worse, not better!

There always seems to be SOMETHING trying to stop me but i'm not going to throw away my dreams this time, and i sincerely hope you don't either. Your employer will have to understand the circumstances, and maybe something good will come of it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.