Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 15th 2021, 9:54 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Just wondering, has anybody taken the "48-Hour-Quarantine-Alberta-Path" recently? Or can somebody help me with my questions?

As far as I researched, this is still an option for returning Canadians arriving directly into Calgary. I would qualify as a returning Canadian citizen arrving on a KLM flight from Amsterdam into Calgary, however I don't have an Alberta driver's license, but one from Ontario. ( Don't know if that's a problem? )

https://travel.borderpilot.alberta.ca/

The only problem I see here is that I would have to get a smart phone? Or can the app also be installed on a laptop ( with an android emulation ) ? I also use the laptop with Skype for all of my calls? And buying a smart phone or signing a contract in Europe just for the trip to Canada is not really feasible? ( Or which European phones without contracts do really work in Canada ? )

Also regarding a 14 day stay in a hotel, hotels seem to be open:
But how about an AirBnB? Would it be legal to pre-book an AirBnB in Calgary from Europe for the first 14 days in Canada.

https://www.ahla.ca/2020/11/25/new-c...lberta-hotels/

As far as I can guess, the only challenge I see is the smart phone. I would have to buy a smart phone in Europe which also works on a technically in Canada? The chip for the cell phone can probably be bought separately / taken as a contract once I am in the country?
If all you need is a very basic smartphone then you can pick one up in Europe (or at least the UK, Ireland and Germany) for under 50 Euros.

You can pre-book a Canadian AirBnB from Europe or anywhere really. The only restrictions I've seen mentioned recently are on rentals from locals as those have been linked to people booking them for parties and other types of liaison.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 15th 2021 at 9:58 am.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

The site says you need to provide alberta health with "all addresses where you may be staying" so it seems that if you do not test positive you can even move around during the 14 days. There is no restriction on airbnb or hotel. I would have a booking in place for 14 straight days in the unlikelihood of a positive result. Also keep in mind even if participating in the border pilot you will need a total of 3 covid tests

1 - at least 72 hours before departure
2 - on arrival YYC
3 - on day 6 or 7 of the 14 day pilot.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

On another note...there are some vague articles out there saying trudeau is considering an outbound travel ban. Thankfully people are already questioning the validity of this and the undoubtable charter violation, but in the event that does go into place, what are the community's thoughts about being able to leave the country on a non-Canadian passport? I know in Australia they are allowing exemptions for dual citizens to leave the country, but it depends on the mood of the officer screening your exemption application.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The site says you need to provide alberta health with "all addresses where you may be staying" so it seems that if you do not test positive you can even move around during the 14 days. There is no restriction on airbnb or hotel. I would have a booking in place for 14 straight days in the unlikelihood of a positive result. Also keep in mind even if participating in the border pilot you will need a total of 3 covid tests

1 - at least 72 hours before departure
2 - on arrival YYC
3 - on day 6 or 7 of the 14 day pilot.

Thanks for the answer. I am aware of the "moving around" option. As far as I know one can leave the palace where one is staying upon receipt of the negative result. The time for that is 48 hours. Also I am aware that one can move around during the 14 days, provided that any new address is communicated to Alberta Health, and it is only within Alberta, and probably as a practicality, not to far from any pharmacy for the 3rd covid test.

At least it's a practical option which Ontario doesn't want to offer at YYZ, even though they have been running tests there for many months now.

On your second note, I don't think Trudeau can legally stop Canadians from leaving Canada. This would clearly be a charter violation. The only legal issue would be possible entry restrictions in any other country and also various quarantine obligations.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
On another note...there are some vague articles out there saying trudeau is considering an outbound travel ban. Thankfully people are already questioning the validity of this and the undoubtable charter violation, but in the event that does go into place, what are the community's thoughts about being able to leave the country on a non-Canadian passport? I know in Australia they are allowing exemptions for dual citizens to leave the country, but it depends on the mood of the officer screening your exemption application.
I think if he does so, repatriation etc and non discretionary travel will be allowed in my opinion - of course as has happened so far with inbound travel, there are no real limits to how often someone can be repatriated - not that I would want to take advantage of it.

In my opinion it just becomes an extra deterrent to help prevent travel as borders reopen as vaccinations ramp up - if you have to ask for permission to leave you are less likely to head to Seattle for the weekend (not saying you would do, but in the UK I am at least a little bit jealous of those in america who appear able to go the gym, go skiing, go to certain sports events etc - I personally wouldnt risk it now, but realise plenty more would).
Old Jan 18th 2021, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
In my opinion it just becomes an extra deterrent to help prevent travel as borders reopen as vaccinations ramp up - .
I'd say, in the case of Canada don't expect any changes soon. I should expect that Canada would keep the borders shut for all non essential travel for the remainder of the whole year, regardless of vaccine, or not. I'd also expect the quarantine regulation to be in place for the whole rest of the year. It's just a prediction, judging by previous behaviour of Dr. Tam, et all.

They will probably say, that you would still be infections even though you've had the vaccine, - it'll make you wonder why they would consider vaccinating hospital and senior care personnel first.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say, in the case of Canada don't expect any changes soon. I should expect that Canada would keep the borders shut for all non essential travel for the remainder of the whole year, regardless of vaccine, or not. I'd also expect the quarantine regulation to be in place for the whole rest of the year. It's just a prediction, judging by previous behaviour of Dr. Tam, et all.

They will probably say, that you would still be infections even though you've had the vaccine, - it'll make you wonder why they would consider vaccinating hospital and senior care personnel first.
Agreed, but currently don't believe apart from quarantine/lack of flights there is anything to stop Canadians going on holiday to non US destinations. As destination countries begin to open up (as plenty did last summer for those in Europe) - there will be a large number willing to quarantine(or break quarantine) in exchange for 2 weeks abroad. Especially those with dual citizenship etc.

Which introducing an outwards travel ban/restriction would cover - even if it doesn't stop you travelling, having to ask for permission will deter large numbers and certainly discourage repeat travellers.

​

Old Jan 18th 2021, 11:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Agreed, but currently don't believe apart from quarantine/lack of flights there is anything to stop Canadians going on holiday to non US destinations. As destination countries begin to open up (as plenty did last summer for those in Europe) - there will be a large number willing to quarantine(or break quarantine) in exchange for 2 weeks abroad. Especially those with dual citizenship etc.

Which introducing an outwards travel ban/restriction would cover - even if it doesn't stop you travelling, having to ask for permission will deter large numbers and certainly discourage repeat travellers.

​
The thing is that in countries like the UK and Canada, you have such a huge percentage of the population who work in white collar jobs and haven't been required to attend an office for almost a year now anyway. Many of them are quite high earners as well, especially in accountancy, management, HR, and the tech sector and can comfortably afford a vacation. So in some cases, a 10 or 14 day mandatory quarantine period upon return is little more than a minor inconvenience. It just means they're reliant upon delivery services for fresh food etc.

The issues arise when they don't comply with the quarantine regulations and that's what screws it up for everyone. Also, in Canada's case, winter vacations are more popular than they are in Europe for obvious reasons and the virus was less of an issue last summer in Canada and Europe than it is now.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 11:10 am
Sidecar Falcon

Given that many are calling Ontario's current vaccination target of September to be extremely optimistic, what you're suggesting there wouldn't surprise me at all especially when it comes to foreign visitors the Canada's cultural aversions to risk and change.

What is funny is that Canada faced scrutiny for buying up more vaccines per capita than any other country on Earth but is still lagging behind the UK and US and way behind Israel on numbers. Now fair enough, the UK was able to develop and manufacture its own (arguably superior) alternative to the American Big Pharma solutions but even that can't fully justify it.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Given that many are calling Ontario's current vaccination target of September to be extremely optimistic, what you're suggesting there wouldn't surprise me at all especially when it comes to foreign visitors the Canada's cultural aversions to risk and change.
It wouldn't surprise me at all, also looking at Dr. Tam's behaviour. And then how long has Alberta had that no quarantine option, whilst Ontario could have easily copied that. After all they were running trial tests at YYZ airport for a very long time.

The discussion might come up at Easter at the earliest, but probably only in summer as tourism want's to make a buck or to as well. However I think Dr. Tam's answer as well as other leading decision maker's will be a straight no again.

Quarantine is probably here to stay for a long time. I also expect things to get worse, they could easily pass a law that all people are to pay by themselves for government mandated and allocated hotel rooms, to compensate the loss in tourism. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
What is funny is that Canada faced scrutiny for buying up more vaccines per capita than any other country on Earth but is still lagging behind the UK and US and way behind Israel on numbers. Now fair enough, the UK was able to develop and manufacture its own (arguably superior) alternative to the American Big Pharma solutions but even that can't fully justify it.
It surprised me as well, but this was more covered in European media than in Canada. I always thought that the statistics on Canada regarding buying vaccines was misinterpreted, as it was later on mentioned as an "up to number of vaccines" but never a definitive number?

The other issues might be that the NHS is more centralized than Canada's provincial system, plus in the UK Boris also has the political need to succeed at something, - if it isn't Brexit and all the related trade issues.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jan 18th 2021 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 12:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Quarantine is probably here to stay for a long time. I also expect things to get worse, they could easily pass a law that all people are to pay by themselves for government mandated and allocated hotel rooms, to compensate the loss in tourism. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
It wouldn't surprise me either, so many other countries are already doing it. A friend of mine who lives in Singapore has had to pay thousands to stay in a government approved hotel for her quarantine after an emergency trip overseas, despite having her own perfectly good empty apartment she could have quarantined in. But then as she said, Singapore has some of the lowest Covid death/infection rates in the world, so the method is clearly working.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 18th 2021 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 7:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

Ontario has quarantine hotels but uses them a bit differently. Because of the large ethnic demographic who will tend to live with generations of family members, they offer them as a way for a person to isolat freely and safely from the rest of the family.

Obviously they do have them for those who show up with no quarantine plan as well but the mandatory use thing only works in Australia, NZ, Singapore etc because they also restrict outbound travel and require approval before return.

Canada could go down the Korean route though and enforce quarantine hotel requirements on visitors and non-residents. From what I've seen in the UK press in recent days, I wouldn't be surprised if Britain adopts that system.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 6:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they will do what they did with certain cruise passengers - ship them off to CFB Trenton or Cornwall’s NAV Centre or similar.
Old Jan 20th 2021, 4:51 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps they will do what they did with certain cruise passengers - ship them off to CFB Trenton or Cornwall’s NAV Centre or similar.
Korea is a strange example because like the UK they haven't placed restrictions on foreign visitors or temporary residents. You can book a holiday in Seoul and fly there from the UK or anywhere else if you'd like but you need to be willing to undergo 2 weeks in a government approved quarantine hotel first and at your own expense. The only additional requirements are more rigorous testing on arrivals from Europe and the US.

Tbh I like that system because it's not driving families apart in the way Australia and New Zealand certainly have and Canada has to a lesser extent since last March however it also discourages casual tourism and business trips at a time when they're not really appropriate. At the same time it's also providing more funding to local hoteliers in a time when they need all the help they can get.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Bad news for anyone planing to fly KLM. They are suspending long haul out of Holland from January 22. They say its in part due to the new testing requiremt for entry to the Netherlands, sounds like it was the last nail in the coffin for them.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/a...therlands/amp/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.