British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/quarantine-covid-19-discussions-933679/)

DigitalGhost Nov 4th 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12930414)
I'd be careful about WestJet these days, regarding cancellations and refunds, or more lack of that.....

If you're flight departs from the UK or the EU then it is entirely out of their hands. Your card provider will refund you if the airline refuse.

If you're flying out of Canada though then it may be much more difficult.

Revin Kevin Nov 6th 2020 11:27 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12930569)
If you're flight departs from the UK or the EU then it is entirely out of their hands. Your card provider will refund you if the airline refuse.

If you're flying out of Canada though then it may be much more difficult.

I had a west jet flight cancelled back in the spring, usual story west jet just ignored my refund requests despite me pointing out the law to them and kept offering only future travel credits. After weeks of getting nowhere I rang my bank (Lloyds) who incredibly returned the money (over £5k) to my account there and then while we were on the phone!. Some folks at the time were criticising passengers who were pushing for refunds saying it wasn't the airlines fault etc etc but the fact is since then I have been back and forth to Canada twice and West jet have still not reinstated flights from the UK so accepting a travel credit would have been no use whatsoever. For anyone wanting to book travel in the next 6 months I would say stick to Air Canada or KLM who have not stopped flying all though this.

DigitalGhost Nov 6th 2020 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12931683)
I had a west jet flight cancelled back in the spring, usual story west jet just ignored my refund requests despite me pointing out the law to them and kept offering only future travel credits. After weeks of getting nowhere I rang my bank (Lloyds) who incredibly returned the money (over £5k) to my account there and then while we were on the phone!. Some folks at the time were criticising passengers who were pushing for refunds saying it wasn't the airlines fault etc etc but the fact is since then I have been back and forth to Canada twice and West jet have still not reinstated flights from the UK so accepting a travel credit would have been no use whatsoever. For anyone wanting to book travel in the next 6 months I would say stick to Air Canada or KLM who have not stopped flying all though this.

Yeah they will do, it's the law in the UK. I had a similar experience with a flight to Australia that I was supposed to take back in April although in that instance the issue was with the booking agent I'd used rather than Singapore Airlines themselves. The best way in the UK though is to use a credit card because the levels of consumer protection you'll receive are pretty much unparalleled.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 18th 2020 4:38 pm

"The data — which was compiled by the CBSA at the request of CBC News — shows that more than 80 per cent of the 6.5 million total arrivals into Canada between March 31 and Nov. 12 were exempt from the quarantine meant to battle the COVID-19 pandemic."

% of cases linked to international travel ranged from 0.4 per cent in May to 2.9 per cent in July, according to PHAC.

Over the past 2 weeks 47 international flights entering Canada were found to have had at least one confirmed COVID-19 case onboard.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/qua...kers-1.5804848

Note: It's not as bad as it seems 1/2 are truckers who are exempt, and I'd venture to say most of the other half are also some level of essential worker/travel who are also exempt.

OrangeMango Nov 30th 2020 3:25 pm

I am hoping that a vaccine and prove that one has the vaccine would eliminate the quarantine requirement. However with Canada's government, I am not that certain about that. They will probably find an excuse for keeping the quarantine alive even in cases if one has had the vaccine.

bats Nov 30th 2020 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12941361)
I am hoping that a vaccine and prove that one has the vaccine would eliminate the quarantine requirement. However with Canada's government, I am not that certain about that. They will probably find an excuse for keeping the quarantine alive even in cases if one has had the vaccine.

yep, just to spite you.

OrangeMango Dec 3rd 2020 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12941524)
yep, just to spite you.

I think and even am certain that the quarantine requirement might easily be there for a very very long time, even though one has the vaccine and is able to prove so. It might easily be until the end of 2021. I also think that a number of countries besides Canada will continue to insist on quarantine, even if a vaccine is available, or a traveller has been vaccinated. Australia would be such a "candidate country", I think.

I think that governments in various countries should better come clear for the sake of fairness regarding the future of quarantine, even in the case of a vaccine, or one being vaccinated. I think at least this information is owed to us.

Former Lancastrian Dec 3rd 2020 1:26 pm

Now using logic and common sense once vaccines become available to all countries Govts will allow travel to ramp up to travellers who can prove they have been vaccinated so won't have to quarantine on arrival subject to how long the vaccine protects individuals and when they were vaccinated.

OrangeMango Dec 3rd 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12942410)
Now using logic and common sense once vaccines become available to all countries Govts will allow travel to ramp up to travellers who can prove they have been vaccinated so won't have to quarantine on arrival subject to how long the vaccine protects individuals and when they were vaccinated.

I hope you are correct. However the world "logic" is a bit hard to understand, with all the measures in place. "Logic" often differs greatly from country to country, - sadly. I often have the feeling, not only do I have to use common sense to protect myself, but I also have to look out to what various governments are planning in restrictions, restriction which don't really make sense in various aspects. And mandatory masks and no large gatherings or closed pubs are the least problem here.

Gozit Dec 3rd 2020 7:33 pm

Logic is not present with the Canadian government. Hell, as a young healthy person I won't be able to get the vaccine here until September, which means COVID restrictions until into 2022. Yet the UK is starting to vaccinate people next week, and Malta first week of Jan providing ECDC approves the Pfizer vaccine for use. I am fairly confident i'll get the vaccine in Malta before I get it here. I'm afraid if I don't get it, countries will start to place restrictions on who can and can't enter based on if they are vaccinated. If i'm unable to get the vaccine due to the government not having it available then it will be a catch 22 where i'm stuck in Canada yet longer due to the inability to get a vaccine.

Former Lancastrian Dec 3rd 2020 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12942577)
Logic is not present with the Canadian government. Hell, as a young healthy person I won't be able to get the vaccine here until September, which means COVID restrictions until into 2022. Yet the UK is starting to vaccinate people next week, and Malta first week of Jan providing ECDC approves the Pfizer vaccine for use. I am fairly confident i'll get the vaccine in Malta before I get it here. I'm afraid if I don't get it, countries will start to place restrictions on who can and can't enter based on if they are vaccinated. If i'm unable to get the vaccine due to the government not having it available then it will be a catch 22 where i'm stuck in Canada yet longer due to the inability to get a vaccine.

You can currently fly to the USA without the need for vaccination and I suspect a few other countries as well. Why get your knickers in a twist over something you have no control over and no countries know what will happen in a few weeks never mind a few months. Ever considered a Staycation or is it all about what YOU want to do? Sheesh be thankful you have money to travel with and still have a job whereas millions of others don't.

BristolUK Dec 3rd 2020 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12942577)

I think you're too much on a downer.
You probably mean 2021 not 2022. But that aside, current indications are that Canada will be a month later than the UK. That's not a big deal.

Add in that while the UK is starting earlier, there appears to be a doubt at the moment as to when they get the next batch. What if all the countries that have deals signed up - and I believe Canada is actually right up there in that respect - get their first batches before anyone gets a second batch? What if the other two leading contenders get theirs passed quickly and we then have three potential suppliers all about a year earlier than previous hopes. There might be a glut of the stuff. ;)

As for countries wanting 'vaccination passports' before they let people in, that's probably quite logical. Except for the part about priority recipients being those less likely to be travelling to other countries. :rofl:
(sorry) :o

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 4th 2020 4:56 am

BC is aiming to have everyone who desires the vaccination to have it by September, so I am not going to make any plans for 2021, until a sizeable enough % of the population has the vaccine, things wont be normal.

Looking like Canada will only receive a few million in the first 3 months of 2021, at least the Pfizer one, so us general population folks might be lucky if we have access maybe by April? Hard to say at this point.

They also said in BC everyone who wanted a flu shot would have access, turns out that wasn't true.

But they are going to be releasing their distribution plans in the next week or 2, but all fingers point that the first arrivals will go to LTC residents and workers in such homes, and who knows how many BC will even get in the first batch.

I am certainly planning no travel or anything for 2021, will play it by ear.

Do they even know yet how long the vaccine will provide protection for?

DMajor Dec 4th 2020 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12942664)

But they are going to be releasing their distribution plans in the next week or 2, but all fingers point that the first arrivals will go to LTC residents and workers in such homes, and who knows how many BC will even get in the first batch.

I am certainly planning no travel or anything for 2021, will play it by ear.

Do they even know yet how long the vaccine will provide protection for?

If you're young and healthy, you probably won't even need the vaccine.
99.7% survival rate without a vaccine is pretty good odds..

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 4th 2020 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by DMajor (Post 12942882)
If you're young and healthy, you probably won't even need the vaccine.
99.7% survival rate without a vaccine is pretty good odds..

If your in the US in some states employers could require the vaccine to maintain employment, how likely it is companies will require it, not known. But likely not something that can be done in BC at least, but there will be according to the province no legal mandate to get it, everyone can make their own decision, but if countries require proof to visit, well anyone who likes to travel may have to get it.