Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
I answered my own question, you have to remain in Alberta for 14 days but I don’t believe you have to be an Alberta resident.
I believe the only way to avoid the 14 day quarantine is to enter via Calgary. There seems to be a test at the airport and upon negative result, and a 48 hour waiting period, one is free to roam as long as one stays in Alberta for 14 days. Then one can travel onward.

Do these new requirements from Nov. 21st onward also apply for Calgary?

Does the Arrive Canada App required Android, iOS or also Windows 8?

https://globalnews.ca/news/7439700/c...ns-quarantine/
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:35 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I believe the only way to avoid the 14 day quarantine is to enter via Calgary. There seems to be a test at the airport and upon negative result, and a 48 hour waiting period, one is free to roam as long as one stays in Alberta for 14 days. Then one can travel onward.

Do these new requirements from Nov. 21st onward also apply for Calgary?

Does the Arrive Canada App required Android, iOS or also Windows 8?

https://globalnews.ca/news/7439700/c...ns-quarantine/
ArriveCAN only supports android and iOS but you can also use it via the website if you want.

If you're still using a Windows phone in 2020 then you should probably have a word with yourself tbh.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Arrive Canada App also for this procedure:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7437509/e...irport-coutts/
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:53 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Arrive Canada App also for this procedure:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7437509/e...irport-coutts/
ArriveCAN is just to confirm quarantine plans and notify the government of any pre-existing symptoms ahead of arrival. It's similar to the UK pre-arrival form. You can also use it to do daily check-ins if you want but it's entirely optional. I believe they've recently changed it so you have to complete it online in advance of arrival and cannot complete a paper form on arrival but I'm not sure how that would work in practice at the land border at least.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
ArriveCAN is just to confirm quarantine plans and notify the government of any pre-existing symptoms ahead of arrival. It's similar to the UK pre-arrival form. You can also use it to do daily check-ins if you want but it's entirely optional. I believe they've recently changed it so you have to complete it online in advance of arrival and cannot complete a paper form on arrival but I'm not sure how that would work in practice at the land border at least.
I think the daily check-ins you are describing are mandatory from Nov 21st onward. I think they are doing this as they can't visit each and every traveler face to face and are counting on these daily check ins on some form of honesty.

My last question regarding the Arrive Canada app was more specifically towards arrival at Calgary airport where due to testing and a negative result the 14 quarantine can be circumvented, or omitted, to use a better word.

Furthermore I am wondering about Toronto airport So far there seems nothing, even though it was announced in the media:
https://torontosun.com/news/national...vWqjGaXRk2KoEk

Would it also be allowed to fly from Europe to Toronto, then transiting to a domestic flight to Calgary, do the testing there, and spend 14 days in Alberta and then return to Ontario?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Nov 4th 2020 at 10:06 am.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:04 am
Sidecar Falcon

I think the daily check-ins you are describing are mandatory from Nov 21st onward.

My last question regarding the Arrive Canada app was more towards arrival at Calgary airport where due to testing and a negative result the 14 quarantine can be circumvented.
In reality they can't be. What if you lost your phone, suffered from a technical issue or lost access to the internet? Or maybe you became unwell?

In answer to your Calgary question, quarantine regulations don't come into effect until you leave the port and entry and reach your chosen destination and you are permitted to connect to internal flights so there should be no issues connecting via Pearson.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

In answer to your Calgary question, quarantine regulations don't come into effect until you leave the port and entry and reach your chosen destination and you are permitted to connect to internal flights so there should be no issues connecting via Pearson.
Thanks for your answer. But this sounds also very illogical as an international traveler travels untested from Toronto to Calgary, whilst one could infect a domestic traveler who is traveling also from Toronto to Calgary......

I would presume this problem will largely be solved, once rapid testing becomes more effective.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:15 am
Sidecar Falcon

Thanks for your answer. But this sounds also very illogical as an international traveler travels untested from Toronto to Calgary, whilst one could infect a domestic traveler who is traveling also from Toronto to Calgary......

I would presume this problem will largely be solved, once rapid testing becomes more effective.
It might sound illogical but very few of these regulations are logical in the first place. The simple fact remains that because they have closed many international airports in Canada, many people do have to transit through a larger city and then make an internal connection to get to their destination.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Nov 4th 2020 at 10:17 am.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

It might sound illogical but very few of these regulations are logical in the first place. The simple fact remains that because they have closed many international airports in Canada, many people do have to transit through a larger city and then make an internal connection to get to their destination.
I think this is probably down to provincial regulation, as it's only Alberta, and Jason Kenny is mentioned there. Thus it would make sense to travel to Calgary, if possible on a direct flight from Europe, spend there 14 days, maybe do some skiing, if the resorts are open, and then travel onward to Ontario and be completely in compliance with the law.

Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

I think this is probably down to provincial regulation, as it's only Alberta, and Jason Kenny is mentioned there. Thus it would make sense to travel to Calgary, if possible on a direct flight from Europe, spend there 14 days, maybe do some skiing, if the resorts are open, and then travel onward to Ontario and be completely in compliance with the law.
Oh yeah, if you can get a direct flight to Calgary or even Edmonton from Europe then go right ahead. That's definitely the better option. I just don't know how many of those flights there are atm.

Transat resumed flights to Toronto from my local airport over the summer but now seem to have cancelled everything between November and next May. You may be able to get to Calgary from the likes of London, Paris or Frankfurt though.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

All the flights I have taken from Rome were either London or Amsterdam first then on to New York, then Toronto, then Calgary. I hope there is a direct flight to Calgary from Europe, not a lot of hope in that to be perfectly honest, nor Edmonton. Alberta was always a difficult province when it comes to direct international flights.

Last edited by Nand; Nov 4th 2020 at 11:08 am.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 11:09 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
All the flights I have taken from Rome were either London or Amsterdam first then on to New York, then Toronto, then Calgary. I hope there is a direct flight to Calgary from Europe, not a lot of hope in that to be perfectly honest, nor Edmonton. Alberta was always a difficult province when it comes to direct international flights.
I've just checked and you can still fly direct from London with WestJet.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
You're probably getting the royal treatment on such an itinerary.

Pre-Covid, Calgary was pretty good. A couple of direct Asian destinations plus most major European destination, Heathrow, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, etc... Edmonton only had one KLM Flight to Amsterdam, I think 4 or 5 days a week.

I haven't checked Calgary recently, however I'd expect the one odd direct flight to Europe.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I've just checked and you can still fly direct from London with WestJet.
I'd be careful about WestJet these days, regarding cancellations and refunds, or more lack of that.....
Old Nov 4th 2020, 3:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Official
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...to-canada.html
As of November 21, 2020, air travellers whose final destination is Canada will be required to submit their information electronically through ArriveCAN before they board their flight. This includes travel and contact information, quarantine plan (unless exempted under conditions set out in the Mandatory Isolation Order), and COVID-19 symptom self-assessment. Travellers must be ready to show their ArriveCAN receipt when seeking entry into Canada; a border services officer will verify that they have submitted their information digitally. Travellers who do not submit the required information digitally before boarding their flight could be subject to enforcement action, which can range from verbal warnings to $1,000 fine. Exceptions will be made for those unable to submit documents electronically due to personal circumstances, such as disability or inadequate infrastructure.
As of November 21, 2020, travellers who enter Canada by air, land or marine modes, unless exempted under conditions set out in the Mandatory Isolation Order, will also be required to submit information through ArriveCAN or by calling the 1-833-641-0343 toll-free number during their quarantine or isolation period. Within 48 hours of entering Canada, travellers must confirm they have arrived at their place of quarantine or isolation and those in quarantine must complete a daily COVID-19 symptom self-assessment during their quarantine period.

Travellers who don’t use ArriveCAN to submit their information before entering Canada will be required to call the 1-833-641-0343 toll-free number on a daily basis throughout their quarantine or isolation period to provide their post-border information. They will not be able to revert to using ArriveCAN.

Travellers who do not submit the mandatory information required after they have crossed the border will be considered a high priority for follow-up by law enforcement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.