Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 29th 2020, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
MIght be difficult getting back to the UK without having to quarantine there now as well for some previously 'safe' countries - how will certain people manage that, I wonder - by deciding to disregard the rules or evade the authorities there too?

The travel corridors in theory make some sense, but this shows how fast things can change with little warning, on the safe list today, off it tomorrow, hard to plan travel with such uncertainty.

I wouldn't enjoy 14 days in one location, but I would abide by the rules if I chose to travel outside of Canada. If I can survive 7 days in a windowless mental health floor in a hospital with no TV or internet, I could survive 14 with TV, internet and other luxuries. About as close to being in prison one can get without being in prison.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 29th 2020 at 5:30 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 7:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Your repetitive self-indulgent whinging has become incredibly tiresome. Go away.
I love you SOS! I seldom wish bad things for people but this tiresome little annoyance needs a good swat...
Old Aug 29th 2020, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that we know its been extended, everyone take a deep breath.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

MIght be difficult getting back to the UK without having to quarantine there now as well for some previously 'safe' countries - how will certain people manage that, I wonder - by deciding to disregard the rules or evade the authorities there too?
Whats typically happening is people are finding ways to make sure they get to the UK by 4am, which sort of defies the point - that country is high risk, so we are going to force a large number of folk back, some of whom wouldn't be returning for weeks to return by a set time to avoid quarantine.

Someone i vaguely know with a 2nd and i believe 3rd home in France, who had been using the remote working to spend the summer in his south of France farmhouse (from what i can gather they have bought it, done up the main house very nice, and have someone live in it FOC running converted outbuildings as holiday lets to cover the mortgage) to tear arse across France with his family in tow on a Friday a few weeks back to avoid the need to quarantine - had they not imposed that rule, or given him the window to get back home, he would most likely have stayed over there until the schools went back, as it stands they got back over here, posted about it on social media, and whilst they were supposedly in a low risk area of France, got knows how many holiday lets they have, or where the people filling them had been to/come from in the previous few days.

Closing the corridor is the right thing to do, but feel that the 3 days to get home before it kicks in is a bit ridiculous.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Where are they looking - and when for? Price is a factor, of course.. I found dozens that were available using different web sites (nor just Airbnb)
Care to share the other sites? still keeping half an eye on Quarantine plans for October/November, although with the ways things are looking I feel its either a next spring thing, or maybe a couple of months in a warmer Canadian city prior to properly moving.

I'm so glad that CBSA Officers and IRCC Officers read and watch this forum and others (yes, they know which ones to watch) -- hopefully they will be on the lookout for those who talk about flouting the Canadian Government Regulations when it comes to quarantine.. they have ways and means of identifying people from the information they put out in the public eye.
This is something I've often wondered, a quick foray into certain immigration forums, or facebook groups and dodgy advice, stories and basically ways to cheat the system are common place - if you track someone by username, I think IRCC could kick a few hundred people out of the pool in an afternoon of reading broken english on a couple of choice sites/groups!!!

Provincially I feel like SK, ON, NB could really weed out those with no desire to settle permanently (whilst i could potentially be partially guilty of this with SK as it'd be my second choice province, I would quite happily live out my days in SK and if they were kind enough to be my route in, I'd at least buy a house, spend 5 years there, get a job, give it a go and give the bars my custom every weekend until such a point i was banned from most of them!) as they are literally talking about using crap resumes to not get jobs in landing province, have someone they know line them up for a job in the province they want, then just up and leave - 12 weeks being the recommended minimum, or alternatively soft land, then just move where you want in 3 years time!!

Was hoping such people regularly get pulled up and told to leave, but somehow doubt it.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Care to share the other sites? still keeping half an eye on Quarantine plans for October/November, although with the ways things are looking I feel its either a next spring thing, or maybe a couple of months in a warmer Canadian city prior to properly moving.

This is something I've often wondered, a quick foray into certain immigration forums, or facebook groups and dodgy advice, stories and basically ways to cheat the system are common place - if you track someone by username, I think IRCC could kick a few hundred people out of the pool in an afternoon of reading broken english on a couple of choice sites/groups!!!

Provincially I feel like SK, ON, NB could really weed out those with no desire to settle permanently (whilst i could potentially be partially guilty of this with SK as it'd be my second choice province, I would quite happily live out my days in SK and if they were kind enough to be my route in, I'd at least buy a house, spend 5 years there, get a job, give it a go and give the bars my custom every weekend until such a point i was banned from most of them!) as they are literally talking about using crap resumes to not get jobs in landing province, have someone they know line them up for a job in the province they want, then just up and leave - 12 weeks being the recommended minimum, or alternatively soft land, then just move where you want in 3 years time!!

Was hoping such people regularly get pulled up and told to leave, but somehow doubt it.
On another site someone was openly asking how to get round Provincial Nomination to the point of not even wanting to visit the nominating province never mind living there, they just wanted to head straight for BC!

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
On another site someone was openly asking how to get round Provincial Nomination to the point of not even wanting to visit the nominating province never mind living there, they just wanted to head straight for BC!
Let me guess which one and people get upset when I make a reply about the downfalls of trying to circumvent Immigration procedures or current Covid 19 procedures and isolating on arrival.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Let me guess which one and people get upset when I make a reply about the downfalls of trying to circumvent Immigration procedures or current Covid 19 procedures and isolating on arrival.
At border crossings do you ever ask "Are you an active member of x forum?" then just deny them entry??

It's pretty full of suggestions of how to soft land currently. Given the posts on there I think a travel corridor with any of the Schengen countries would be opening the floodgates.

​​​​​​
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
At border crossings do you ever ask "Are you an active member of x forum?" then just deny them entry??

It's pretty full of suggestions of how to soft land currently. Given the posts on there I think a travel corridor with any of the Schengen countries would be opening the floodgates.

​​​​​​
No I used to concentrate on Brit accents and if from Yorkshire and Liverpool then serious consideration is given to denying entry. Love dealing with fraudulent documents with 3 or 4 different types of fonts. Thankfully no longer at a POE so some can breathe easier.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No I used to concentrate on Brit accents and if from Yorkshire and Liverpool then serious consideration is given to denying entry. Love dealing with fraudulent documents with 3 or 4 different types of fonts. Thankfully no longer at a POE so some can breathe easier.
Talking of accents, a guy told me the other day he wasn't too fond of the British and asked from whereabouts down under I came from lol. BTW why only concideration to refusing Liverpudlians - surely an outright ban would be more appropriate? 🤣🤣🤣
​​
Old Sep 6th 2020, 2:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 16th 2020, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The travel corridors in theory make some sense, but this shows how fast things can change with little warning, on the safe list today, off it tomorrow, hard to plan travel with such uncertainty.

I wouldn't enjoy 14 days in one location, but I would abide by the rules if I chose to travel outside of Canada. If I can survive 7 days in a windowless mental health floor in a hospital with no TV or internet, I could survive 14 with TV, internet and other luxuries. About as close to being in prison one can get without being in prison.

And this is exactly why the blanket quarantine should not be happening now that we know more about COVID and there are other ways (testing, contact tracing) to limit/stop the spread.

The government website literally says "A negative COVID-19 test does not prove that someone does not have COVID"....these idiots have their head in the bloody sand.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The government website literally says "A negative COVID-19 test does not prove that someone does not have COVID"....
That's correct. There are plenty of documented cases of negatives followed by positives for different reasons. It's why self isolating has a suggested period and doesn't jut end because of a negative test.

I had a medical appointment arranged for Yesterday (Tues). Last Friday I had to cancel it because that day my SD was sent home from work with a couple of symptoms. Later that day she had a covid test and it was negative. But I still have to wait 14 days from at least Friday because the test could have been a false negative or not enough virus load, whatever, in exactly the same way that someone might test negative while asymptomatic on Friday, but still have the virus and then test positive a few days later.

Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's correct. There are plenty of documented cases of negatives followed by positives for different reasons. It's why self isolating has a suggested period and doesn't jut end because of a negative test.

I had a medical appointment arranged for Yesterday (Tues). Last Friday I had to cancel it because that day my SD was sent home from work with a couple of symptoms. Later that day she had a covid test and it was negative. But I still have to wait 14 days from at least Friday because the test could have been a false negative or not enough virus load, whatever, in exactly the same way that someone might test negative while asymptomatic on Friday, but still have the virus and then test positive a few days later.
They do it differently in BC, as soon as a negative test comes back your considered not positive, I was able to continue on with life once I got the negative result.

I have a CT scan next week, surprising very little in the letter about COVID, just a sentence saying to take the COVID self assessment to determine if testing is appropriate for you.

But the letter is poorly written, whoever wrote should fix it, it also says in one part of the letter to arrive 15 minutes early, then later in the letter says do not arrive early for your appointment, arrive right on time, then on the back at the end it says arrive 30 minutes prior, so which is it?

Old Sep 16th 2020, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Then why bother testing at all if it is supposedly not accurate? And why is it good enough for the governments of Greece, Cyprus, Malta, UAE, some US states to waive the quarantine requirement upon presentation of a negative test within 72hrs of arrival if the test is supposedly not accurate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.