Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 9th 2020, 10:36 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by scilly
That's why we have 14 day quarantines across the country.
The 14 day period was an arbitrary figure recited by the WHO, an organisation that has been wrong about this thing since the get go and has made multiple gaffes over the last 6 months.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
So in other words, you support a country which has long considered itself one of the most liberal and welcoming on Earth transforming itself into a police state where people are effectively singled out and considered guilty until proven innocent?

Arguably the clearest separation between a country like Canada and another like China is that Canada gives its citizens the freedom to do the right thing without resorting to oppression, persecution and mass surveillance.
No, I am not supporting these ideas at all. I actually like reading your opinion and posts. I was only describing a worse case scenario and I am hoping that I am dead wrong and you are right.

Old Jul 9th 2020, 10:43 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
No, I am not supporting these ideas at all. I actually like reading your opinion and posts. I was only describing a worse case scenario and I am hoping that I am dead wrong and you are right.
Thanks.

In any case, I think we can safely assume that Canada isn't going to start e-tagging people. I wouldn't at all put it past the Trump administration or the current Australian government to do that but I really can't ever envisage Canada or the UK doing it.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

In any case, I think we can safely assume that Canada isn't going to start e-tagging people. I wouldn't at all put it past the Trump administration or the current Australian government to do that but I really can't ever envisage Canada or the UK doing it.
I am honestly frustrated about the 14 day quarantine especially when it doesn't really make any sense for somebody entering the country from another country with way lower infection rates. Also I am frustrated of the lack of consideration to air bridges whilst other countries have successfully implemented them. At the same time I am emotionally unable to comply with 14 days spending in just a hotel room, nor am I able to stay outside of Canada beyond September. Honestly, I'd even risk a jail sentence. Unless the regulation changes I will most certainly have to break this law and or risk getting caught. Thus my questions around this matter.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 8:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I am honestly frustrated about the 14 day quarantine especially when it doesn't really make any sense for somebody entering the country from another country with way lower infection rates. Also I am frustrated of the lack of consideration to air bridges whilst other countries have successfully implemented them. At the same time I am emotionally unable to comply with 14 days spending in just a hotel room, nor am I able to stay outside of Canada beyond September. Honestly, I'd even risk a jail sentence. Unless the regulation changes I will most certainly have to break this law and or risk getting caught. Thus my questions around this matter.
Why do you have to return by September? Because of RO?
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never know, maybe by September they will have come up with some limited travel between certain countries.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why do you have to return by September? Because of RO?

Don't know what RO stands for?

It's simply financial, and a possible job waiting for me. Currently I am stranded in Europe.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Don't know what RO stands for?

It's simply financial, and a possible job waiting for me. Currently I am stranded in Europe.
RO stands for Residency Obligation. It's something that only applies to permanent residents and is only important if your a Canadian PR who has or needs to spend an extended period of time abroad. If it isn't a term that applies to you then it's one less thing to worry about at least.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Never know, maybe by September they will have come up with some limited travel between certain countries.
Doubtful unfortunately for as long as the US is in such a mess Coronavirus wise. Unlike Europe and the UK, I really can't envisage Canada opening up an international air bridge and leaving America in the dark. I'd love to be wrong though.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Doubtful unfortunately for as long as the US is in such a mess Coronavirus wise. Unlike Europe and the UK, I really can't envisage Canada opening up an international air bridge and leaving America in the dark. I'd love to be wrong though.
The border to the US will have to be closed for a long time. It'll be several years, I think unless a miracle happens, and I don't really believe in miracles. I also don't think that any decision regarding an air bridge to certain countries in Europe should have any effect on the US border. However sadly, it's the political thinking in Canada, that apparently US goes first, and then Europe, while it should be the other way.....

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jul 10th 2020 at 9:34 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The border to the US will have to be closed for a long time. It'll be several years, I think unless a miracle happens, and I don't really believe in miracles. I also don't think that any decision regarding an air bridge to certain countries in Europe should have any effect on the US border. However sadly, it's the political thinking in Canada, that apparently US goes first, and then Europe, while it should be the other way.....
I do wonder if Canada could attract enough tourists from elsewhere in the world, to make up for the loss of US tourists, if not a lot of places in BC that rely on tourism are going to suffer, not enough domestic tourism to keep most of these places going long term.

People under estimate how many jobs and people rely on tourism in BC.

It may be a painful few years, hopefully or sectors can grow enough to create enough jobs for those lost in tourisim.

Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I do wonder if Canada could attract enough tourists from elsewhere in the world, to make up for the loss of US tourists, if not a lot of places in BC that rely on tourism are going to suffer, not enough domestic tourism to keep most of these places going long term.

People under estimate how many jobs and people rely on tourism in BC.

It may be a painful few years, hopefully or sectors can grow enough to create enough jobs for those lost in tourisim.
It's not just tourism, Canada is unfortunately extremely dependent on the US for a lot, most crucially trade and defence. Canada's lack of a backbone when it comes to affairs with America can sometimes be infruriating and even comical to us Brits and Europeans but you can't really blame Canada for taking that approach in the grand scheme of things.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

It's not just tourism, Canada is unfortunately extremely dependent on the US for a lot, most crucially trade and defence. Canada's lack of a backbone when it comes to affairs with America can sometimes be infruriating and even comical to us Brits and Europeans but you can't really blame Canada for taking that approach in the grand scheme of things.
Well, in Canada we managed a free trade deal with the EU, the CETA, the US doesn't have that for instance.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 8:12 am
Sidecar Falcon

Well, in Canada we managed a free trade deal with the EU, the CETA, the US doesn't have that for instance.
They have but it took a very long time. Canada is also still in the TPP whereas America isn't. I still can't envisage Canada relaxing its border restrictions for other countries but leaving the US out of the picture though unfortunately.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 10:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

At the same time I am emotionally unable to comply with 14 days spending in just a hotel room, nor am I able to stay outside of Canada beyond September. Honestly, I'd even risk a jail sentence. Unless the regulation changes I will most certainly have to break this law and or risk getting caught. Thus my questions around this matter.
What do you mean you're 'emotionally unable' to comply with the quarantine?

A jail sentence would surely put your potential job and PR at risk more than just waiting a while or quarantining as required? Not to mention that if your reason for returning is financial, wouldn't the potential enormous fine outweigh any financial benefit?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 11th 2020 at 11:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.