Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 27th 2020, 4:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
Would that realistically be less money then spending $800-1000 on an airbnb?

I can also get very claustrophobic (which is half my problem with the 14 day quarantine!) so I feel like an RV would be too small for me...interested though I know you mentioned for some other people locating an airbnb/similar accommodation for the 14 days i'd be interested to see what you came up with that was decently large, with outdoor spaces, etc. Can be anywhere in the GTA, London area, or even further south/west, e.g. grand bend/lambton shores area.

The cost isn't a huge problem I was moreso complaining about the fact that it is an extra cost.
For the RV - depending on time of year - less than an airbnb. A decent size cabin tent will set you back around $350 - the rest of the equipment about $300 (less if you buy 2nd hand before you go then ask parents to erect and set it up on your return) - so yes, cheaper than an airbnb again.. and you can use it again later

Was this the kind of thing you were looking for? (price may depend on time of year, obviously) https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/32740416...QZm%2FU2dZgbDp
This suite has its own private entrance and is a self contained 1000 sq ft granny suite .. with walk out
or this.. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2967961...out=2021-08-21
3 bedroom plus den/office with modern kitchen including granite counter tops, stunning breakfast bar and subway tile backsplash. Large living room and 2 piece bath downstairs, 3 piece bathroom, laundry and bedrooms upstairs. Step outside onto stone patio, garden shed and fully fenced treed yard.
$1,157 for 2 weeks in August 2021 There are lots out there... depends what you want to pay

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 27th 2020 at 4:30 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the polls with most Canadian's not wanting the 14 day lifted or the border to be opened, it may not be of benefit to the current government to do so, especially with talk about a snap election, I kind of think at this point the current government is doing what it can to keep its lead over the conservatives with hopes of possibly having an election and gaining a majority, just a guess though.

But maybe they won't and let it quietly expire? Is it due to expire in like 4 days? I can't find anything recent, everything is from June and July in regards to it.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 5:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Based on the polls with most Canadian's not wanting the 14 day lifted or the border to be opened, it may not be of benefit to the current government to do so, especially with talk about a snap election, I kind of think at this point the current government is doing what it can to keep its lead over the conservatives with hopes of possibly having an election and gaining a majority, just a guess though.

But maybe they won't and let it quietly expire? Is it due to expire in like 4 days? I can't find anything recent, everything is from June and July in regards to it.
It's been extended until September 21st - Bill Blair - Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness - Member of Parliament for Scarborough Southwest
Bill Blair
@BillBlair
We are extending the reciprocal restrictions at the Canada-US border for another 30 days, till Sept. 21, 2020. We will continue to do what’s necessary to keep our communities safe.
10:37 am · 14 Aug 2020·Twitter Web App
Confrimed by Trudeau

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 27th 2020 at 5:11 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's been extended until September 21st - Bill Blair - Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness - Member of Parliament for Scarborough Southwest
https://twitter.com/BillBlair/status...82050678251520

Confrimed by Trudeau
The US border being closed is different then the self-isolation requirement though. I have no desire to go to US and it can stay closed for the next year for all I care, I only want to travel to "covid safe" destinations

JSmth is correct - there has not been anything said about the international (non-US specific) requirement to self isolate.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
For the RV - depending on time of year - less than an airbnb. A decent size cabin tent will set you back around $350 - the rest of the equipment about $300 (less if you buy 2nd hand before you go then ask parents to erect and set it up on your return) - so yes, cheaper than an airbnb again.. and you can use it again later

Was this the kind of thing you were looking for? (price may depend on time of year, obviously) https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/32740416...QZm%2FU2dZgbDp

or this.. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2967961...out=2021-08-21
$1,157 for 2 weeks in August 2021 There are lots out there... depends what you want to pay
Thank you. Second option looks good, first one i am not sure if they will let you quarantine when you are technically in the same dwelling as someone else?

But yeah something like the second place. Or even a cottage on a body of water but I know that would be $$$
Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I don't see them letting it expire quietly and not introducing something else eg mandatory negative test before boarding flight to canada OR mandatory quarantine 3-5 days then cleared by negative test. Both of which would make perfect sense and be in line with other countries and (some) US states.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:08 pm
Banned

Thank you. Second option looks good, first one i am not sure if they will let you quarantine when you are technically in the same dwelling as someone else?

But yeah something like the second place. Or even a cottage on a body of water but I know that would be $$$

I don't see them letting it expire quietly and not introducing something else eg mandatory negative test before boarding flight to canada OR mandatory quarantine 3-5 days then cleared by negative test. Both of which would make perfect sense and be in line with other countries and (some) US states.
Welcome! I think there are lots around but the price will depend on when you need it for (and yes, a lakeside one would be wonderful ) .. some are quite reasonable, especially off season and there are sometimes bargains to be had

The US / Can border is restricted until 21st September..
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

But the continued pandemic restrictions that aren't allowing me to travel it almost seems like those restrictions will force me to emigrate even temporarily if the quarantine requirement is not lifted in 2021. The UK has built a rapid testing facility at LHR and is planning on an air bridge with New York. Canada has announced nothing of the sort and government is just digging its heels in with the 14 day rule.

I can't even travel and accept the 14 day quarantine on return as I have nowhere to quarantine without inconveniencing other people since I do not live alone. I would have to rent an airbnb for 14 days which would add onto the already high cost of travel and would mean if I traveled for 2-3 weeks I would actually need to take 5 weeks vacation to accommodate the quarantine. I don't know of a job here that will let you take 5 weeks in one go and then let you do it again in a few months the next time you want to travel.
It's pretty much the same situation to me. Also, sadly there are too many in this forum who are in favour of the 14 day quarantine regulation.

It's either "don't go back to Canada" at all, or "don't get caught within 14 days of arrival". Other choices I don't have. It's simply impossible for me to spend 14 days in a room, in an apartment regardless of what others are doing, have done, or what the law says in this matter.

I'd say the Canadian government should better come clean with the public that the 14 day quarantine in the case of return form countries other than the US is "here to stay indefinitely" until a vaccine is found and not postpone the decision every one to two months.

Realistically we would be talking about early to mid 2021. And even then and judging by the Canadian government's past behaviour they would doubt the vaccination certificate and the effectiveness of the vaccine itself, same as they doubt testing at airports. At this point I only have irony.

It's not the Canada I have gotten to know in the past. Also the statement "scientific evidence" seems only to be there to shield anything from incompetence to the wish not to question certain decisions.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Aug 27th 2020 at 7:06 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Also, sadly there are too many in this forum who are in favour of the 14 day quarantine regulation.
Sorry, I don't understand this. Why are you sad because 'too many' people on a forum don't see quarantine the same way you do?
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry, I don't understand this. Why are you sad because 'too many' people on a forum don't see quarantine the same way you do?
Why are you so sad, that some people have a different opinion in this?
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If one doesn't want to pay for a hotel/place to spend the 14 days, sounds like the government is providing pretty nice hotel accommodations for those without a suitable place to quarantine, everything brought to you food wise and seems if you need basic supplies those are provided as well as health check 2 times each day with a nurse.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canad...ovid-1.5691370
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you so sad, that some people have a different opinion in this?
Er, I didn't write about anything being sad, you did! Why is it sad that 'too many' people on a forum don't see quarantine the same way you do?
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Er, I didn't write about anything being sad, you did! Why is it sad that 'too many' people on a forum don't see quarantine the same way you do?
Er, I think I wrote it in many posts before, that the kind of Canada, the people, the government, the laws, I have gotten to know before, I don't recognize again. This is sadness, it's not joy.

Sorry for being blunt of if it offends you, but if you can't read what I wrote, I can't help you.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Aug 27th 2020 at 7:46 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:05 pm
Concierge

Er, I think I wrote it in many posts before, that the kind of Canada, the people, the government, the laws, I have gotten to know before, I don't recognize again. This is sadness, it's not joy.

Sorry for being blunt of if it offends you, but if you can't read what I wrote, I can't help you.
You're not being blunt, you're being incomprehensible, and I have no idea where you get the idea that I might be offended

Despite me asking twice you still didn't answer my question about why the number of people on this forum (which according to you is 'too many') who are in favour of the quarantine rules is a matter for sadness. As in - what difference does it make to you what other people think, or how many of them there are?

Never mind though, I've completely lost interest
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're not being blunt, you're being incomprehensible, and I have no idea where you get the idea that I might be offended

Despite me asking twice you still didn't answer my question about why the number of people on this forum (which according to you is 'too many') who are in favour of the quarantine rules is a matter for sadness. As in - what difference does it make to you what other people think, or how many of them there are?

Never mind though, I've completely lost interest
I am afraid, I find your posting also incomprehensible. :-)

Old Aug 27th 2020, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd say the Canadian government should better come clean with the public that the 14 day quarantine in the case of return form countries other than the US is "here to stay indefinitely" until a vaccine is found and not postpone the decision every one to two months.

Realistically we would be talking about early to mid 2021. And even then and judging by the Canadian government's past behaviour they would doubt the vaccination certificate and the effectiveness of the vaccine itself, same as they doubt testing at airports. At this point I only have irony.

It's not the Canada I have gotten to know in the past. Also the statement "scientific evidence" seems only to be there to shield anything from incompetence to the wish not to question certain decisions.
I agree with this. If it is going to be indefinite then come out and say it, they are being pretty vague about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.