Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I don't have that power, I'm not Canadian and as far I know only one person has advocated or suggested breaking the law and that person hasn't commented in this thread in a while.
I'm sorry, did you not advocate for his/her ideas and side with her/him? I'm not insinuating that by extension you are agreeing with breaking the law, but it certainly looks that way with what you have said.

Orangemango has not posted an update in a while yes, but you have done plenty on his/her behalf, wouldn't you agree?
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You're not really answering my question though. Why is their opinion less valid than yours or anybody else's?
Why do you believe your opinion (or theirs) is more valid than mine or anyone else'?
On the question of questions........ you haven't answered mine..

Have you lived in ANY country that you liked and approved of the government?? But weren't you negative about other countries as well as the UK and Canada? Hmm?? ..

This constant ranting of yours against Canada's requirements for quarantine seems to reflect more on your state of mind and beliefs, rather than the government requirements being unacceptable to the majority......... time for some retrospective thinking perhaps.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For the record...DG is not a troll. His options may not be the same as the majority of posters, but they are just as valid. He has received a lot of flak and nasty comments in TIO over the Covid virus issue, but normally he remains polite and does not rise to the bait.

Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For the record...DG is not a troll. His options may not be the same as the majority of posters, but they are just as valid. He has received a lot of flak and nasty comments in TIO over the Covid virus issue, but normally he remains polite and does not rise to the bait.
Cheers JG, I appreciate that.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Why do you believe your opinion (or theirs) is more valid than mine or anyone else'?
On the question of questions........ you haven't answered mine..
They're not, that's my point.

Have you lived in ANY country that you liked and approved of the government??
I cant say that I have, no. To be fair, I haven't lived in that many places though.

I've also visited a few countries where I hugely object to the government there, most recently the US, but I tend to keep my mouth shut in those cases.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:31 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
I'm sorry, did you not advocate for his/her ideas and side with her/him? I'm not insinuating that by extension you are agreeing with breaking the law, but it certainly looks that way with what you have said.

Orangemango has not posted an update in a while yes, but you have done plenty on his/her behalf, wouldn't you agree?
I supported their opinions but I wouldn't suggest that anyone breaks the law especially when there's a massive financial penalty and even potential jail time at stake. In fact, if you go back to the beginning of this thread, I was one of the people advising OM against doing anything potentially illegal.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I supported their opinions but I wouldn't suggest that anyone breaks the law especially when there's a massive financial penalty and even potential jail time at stake. In fact, if you go back to the beginning of this thread, I was one of the people advising OM against doing anything potentially illegal.
To be fair, you said you didn't support it because of the potential financial penalties -- NOT because you felt it was morally or legally wrong... perhaps your support of OM came across as you encouraging them.. point taken.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 17th 2020 at 5:16 pm. Reason: sp
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

To be fair, you said you didn't support it because of the potential financial penalites -- NOT because you felt it was morally or legally wrong... perhaps your support of OM came across as you encouraging them.. point taken.

Tbh, I think on a human level alone, I feel genuinely sorry for OM. If on no level other than a human one really since spending a fortnight on your own in a basement when all you want to do is get on with your life can't be an easy or pleasant thing for anyone to have go through.

Just a heads up though, you can stay in a hotel if it's easier and affordable. You can even use the communal facilities within the hotel compound so long as you wipe them down after you've used them or ask the staff to wipe them down for you. For some, that might be the better option especially considering the exorbitant AirBnB rates in Toronto and Vancouver.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 5:11 pm
Banned

Tbh, I think on a human level alone, I feel genuinely sorry for OM. If on no level other than a human one really since spending a fortnight on your own in a basement when all you want to do is get on with your life can't be an easy or pleasant thing for anyone to have go through.

Just a heads up though, you can stay in a hotel if it's easier and affordable. You can even use the communal facilities within the hotel compound so long as you wipe them down after you've used them or ask the staff to wipe them down for you. For some, that might be the better option especially considering the exorbitant AirBnB rates in Toronto and Vancouver.
With respect though - I would LOVE to get on with my life as normal (as would thousands of others, worldwide) - have a social life, see friends, visit friends and relatives, go to listen to live bands and dance, go into a store, a restaurant or a pub... .... unfortunately due to Covidiots, I am unable to and haven't for almost 6 months... so when I hear people whining about having to stay in one location for 14 days it seems a little ludicrous.

I understand your concern for OM - which is why I offered to help them find a suitable place to quarantine - one with outside space.. there are even RV parks that might suit, for a 2 week period, it doesn't have to be some dingy basement apartment downtown - it can be anywhere... I've found places even in the City that might have been suitable, with cooking facilities and an outside space to sit in. Despite my genuine offer, it was dismissed with sarcasm.

As to feeling isolated, there's skype / zoom / facbook messenger / facebook rooms / telephones, internet / tv..... and it's only 14 days... not a lifetime.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 17th 2020 at 6:53 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 5:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You're not really answering my question though. Why is their opinion less valid than yours or anybody else's?
The problem here is you are looking at this as a legal issue, rather than a public health one.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 6:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

But we're not talking about that are we. We're talking about a blanket ban on almost all foreigners and a punishment based on a presumption of guilt for all those who do somehow manage to enter Canada's borders.

I thought we were, up thread somewhere.
we are all under a presumption of guilt/ infection hence 2m distance and masks.

And OM and Gozit are Canadians too so why are their opinions any less valid than the next person's? Is it just because they're opinions that the Canadian government and others (perhaps you) don't agree with?

well their opinions are less valid because they are wrong. They are entitled to hold and voice those opinions of course

​​​​
Old Aug 17th 2020, 7:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

But we're not talking about that are we. We're talking about a blanket ban on almost all foreigners and a punishment based on a presumption of guilt for all those who do somehow manage to enter Canada's borders.
​​​​
I think the word you are looking for is condition. Like some people from certain countries need visas and some don't. It's not a punishment that some people require visas.

Old Aug 17th 2020, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your concern for OM - which is why I offered to help them find a suitable place to quarantine - one with outside space.. there are even RV parks that might suit, for a 2 week period, it doesn't have to be some dingy basement apartment downtown - it can be anywhere... I've found places even in the City that might have been suitable, with cooking facilities and an outside space to sit in. Despite my genuine offer, it was dismissed with sarcasm.
Whether its due to lack of customers, but you can get some proper awesome airbnbs for bargain prices now, I've got one eye on things in the hope that my PR comes through and an exemption is made for those settling like those from the US have now been granted. Given the lack of soft landings and the fact that they want everyone to travel together - my original plan of hiding in a hole for 2 weeks, then bringing the other half over once I'd got a place sorted is a no go.

But plenty of lakeside cabins set on an acre or so of land that are pet friendly within a couple of hours of international airports are going for semi reasonable prices, granted they aren't on instacart or the like, but some of them are on other services or have IGA in the town or the like offering such a service.

For what its worth reference quarantine, whether you do or don't agree with it, the fact is it is there, it exists, risking the punishment for breaking it is foolish as well as selfish. Which leaves the choice of not coming, or coming and getting on with it. You can't control the situation you are in, but you can very much control your attitude to the situation you are in.

Last edited by Stumpylegs; Aug 17th 2020 at 10:08 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 10:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Whether its due to lack of customers, but you can get some proper awesome airbnbs for bargain prices now, I've got one eye on things in the hope that my PR comes through and an exemption is made for those settling like those from the US have now been granted. Given the lack of soft landings and the fact that they want everyone to travel together - my original plan of hiding in a hole for 2 weeks, then bringing the other half over once I'd got a place sorted is a no go.

But plenty of lakeside cabins set on an acre or so of land that are pet friendly within a couple of hours of international airports are going for semi reasonable prices, granted they aren't on instacart or the like, but some of them are on other services or have IGA in the town or the like offering such a service.

For what its worth reference quarantine, whether you do or don't agree with it, the fact is it is there, it exists, risking the punishment for breaking it is foolish as well as selfish. Which leaves the choice of not coming, or coming and getting on with it. You can't control the situation you are in, but you can very much control your attitude to the situation you are in.

A lakeside cabin sounds fun - just watch out for coyote and bears if you have pets
Old Aug 18th 2020, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
And which country is going to take you in ?

Canada is pretty minor in terms of cases and the lockdown has prevented more cases. I'd be interested to know where you could go that you could enjoy your preferred lifestyle.

Many people are having to make sacrifices that help others and if you disagree with the restrictions then what is keeping you here.
School, work, the fact that I don't have a "the government restrictions are arbitrary and i'd like to leave the country" fund set up? As much as i'd like to it's hard to just get on a plane and leave to live in another country as i'm sure most of you can sympathize here.

Up until this week I would have been able to go to Malta and pretty much live without restrictions, but as JG poiinted out things change rapidly and that has changed as of this week but given our prime minister was holidaying in Italy the past week I am sure he will lift the restrictions again as soon as case numbers are down. But still no mandatory quarantine, the most they are imposing on anyone is a mandatory COVID test on arrival which makes perfect sense as if you know you are positive of course you would want to self isolate and not spread it. If you refuse to get tested then you must quarantine but that is your own choice. But if you don't know you are positive it is a bit of a tall order to ask someone to waste 14 days doing nothing when chances are they are negative.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
*Right now*...who knows what is going to happen in the coming months. Best to stay with the devil you know IMO.
This is a fair point. While Canada's restrictions have been blanket and enforced without prejudice to quote DG, they have also been very consistent. Malta (where i would have liked to go) has recently locked most things back down right to about where we are and their public health people have more power then ours do. Our constitution at least prevents them from acting in a way that the Maltese public health have been this week. (They have volunteer contact tracers who have the ability to mandate someone to quarantine for an unknown period of time.) So it is a bit of a question of devil you know.

Originally Posted by bats
I can turn around and tell you that your opinion is less valid because I think it is wrong. That doesn't really get us anywhere though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.