Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 16th 2020, 1:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Taken from the Moncton Airport website
Travellers are advised that officials from the New Brunswick Department of Public Safety (NBDPS) are now screening passengers arriving at the airport.

This screening consists of a questionnaire to determine the reason for travel. Only necessary travel is being allowed to New Brunswick for the time being during the COVID-19 pandemic.
  1. All passengers arriving on a flight will be questioned by a provincial official upon entering the airport. Each flight takes approximately one hour to process. Travellers may not access the baggage claim area before they go through the screening.
  2. The questionnaire consists of standard health questions such as the reason for entering New Brunswick and where the passenger intends to self-isolate for 14 days.
  3. If NBDPS finds that the passenger does not have a valid reason to enter the province per the State of Emergency, they will be denied entry to New Brunswick.
  4. If NBDPS finds that the passenger does not have somewhere to self-isolate for 14 days, they can be denied entry or can be ordered to a hotel to self-isolate.
It goes on but there is a clear requirement to self isolate for 14 days, although there are some exemptions.

Public health NB announced 4 new cases yesterday. I think this is the most for one day that we've had since the early days of releasing information.
2 cases are close contacts of a new case last week that was travel related and the other 2 flew from Rome via Toronto.

It's believed that they may have been infectious on the flight so the advice is "Anyone on those flights is encouraged to self-monitor for 14 days after the flights took place and to self-isolate if they have symptoms."

But wait a moment...they are encouraged to self-monitor and self isolate if self monitoring identifies symptoms. But they are supposed to be self isolating for 14 days anyway, so if they do have symptoms, that self isolation is already in place.

What's going on?
Old Aug 16th 2020, 4:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
YAWN..... put another record on, you seem to be somewhat anti-Canada government so some of us wonder why you are contemplating returning here.. and why you continue to berate others for their wish to comply with regulations with regards to quarantine. There is an expectation that if you want to live in a country you should abide by any reasonable governance.. (i.e. what would appear reasonable to the majority of the Citizens - not the alternative position of the very very few), something you appear loath to do.
For what it's worth, I'm having those same thoughts myself. Although I haven't actually berated anyone. I'm just not in complete disagreement with OrangeMango, that's all.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the sentiment about false hope from the government. According to idiot Tam, even a vaccine will not be the be all end all and we will have to endure this social distancing and bullshit restrictions until into 2022. Originally a vaccine or credible treatment WAS the be all end all from the government and we were promised the restrictions would be lifted at worse case by the time a vaccine was widely available.

Which with the speed and accuracy that they set up the testing centers and other COVID specific precautions within hospital once the vaccine is available i would expect that anyone who wants it will be able to get it easily so not sure why we would have to wait that long, and no scientific reasoning has been provided by the government.

Personally i'm not willing to waste that period of the time living under restrictions that I disagree with, so I will be looking to leave Canada at least temporarily in late 2020/early 2021.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Personally i'm not willing to waste that period of the time living under restrictions that I disagree with, so I will be looking to leave Canada at least temporarily in late 2020/early 2021.
And which country is going to take you in ?

Canada is pretty minor in terms of cases and the lockdown has prevented more cases. I'd be interested to know where you could go that you could enjoy your preferred lifestyle.

Many people are having to make sacrifices that help others and if you disagree with the restrictions then what is keeping you here.

Last edited by Partially discharged; Aug 16th 2020 at 9:12 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
And which country is going to take you in ?

Canada is pretty minor in terms of cases and the lockdown has prevented more cases. I'd be interested to know where you could go that you could enjoy your preferred lifestyle.

Many people are having to make sacrifices that help others and if you disagree with the restrictions then what is keeping you here.
Gozit is a dual Canadian and EU citizen IIRC so their options are a little wider than most.

The sacrifices you're talking about should be a matter of personal choice IMHO. They shouldn't be inflicted upon innocent people by governments with seemingly authoritarian aspirations.

What separates your attitude from people with "America: Love it or leave it" bumper stickers?
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Gozit is a dual Canadian and EU citizen IIRC so their options are a little wider than most.

The sacrifices you're talking about should be a matter of personal choice IMHO. They shouldn't be inflicted upon innocent people by governments with seemingly authoritarian aspirations.

What separates your attitude from people with "America: Love it or leave it" bumper stickers?
his wish to move to a country without restrictions similar to Canada narrows the field.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Although I don't necessarily think they will find the rules in the EU any less restrictive. Keeping this on the quarantine topic - whilst France, Greece, Spain etc don't have mandatory quarantine they do have cases rising rapidly even with partial lockdowns.

Believe Finland, Italy, Ireland and the UK have a 14 day mandatory quarantine period for those arriving from Canada.

Plenty of others aren't open for non residents or leisure travel.

Once your in and self isolated or have paid for tests mandated by the government, you still face mandatory mask wearing, social distancing, track and trace etc.

Whilst in some ways Libertarianism is a positive idea, it becomes different. when it's public health at stake. If you want to jaywalk, not wear ear protection when shooting, take out your seat belts or marry your possum it's all fine, but if your idea of freedom is burning tyres on your apartment balcony or walking round potentially spreading infectious diseases its not

Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Although I don't necessarily think they will find the rules in the EU any less restrictive. Keeping this on the quarantine topic - whilst France, Greece, Spain etc don't have mandatory quarantine they do have cases rising rapidly even with partial lockdowns.
Whilst I agree to some extent, I think your speculating quite a bit there. Right now, there are less restrictions on travel and daily life in the likes of Germany than there are in Canada.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I agree to some extent, I think your speculating quite a bit there. Right now, there are less restrictions on travel and daily life in the likes of Germany than there are in Canada.
*Right now*...who knows what is going to happen in the coming months. Best to stay with the devil you know IMO.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Whilst in some ways Libertarianism is a positive idea, it becomes different. when it's public health at stake. If you want to jaywalk, not wear ear protection when shooting, take out your seat belts or marry your possum it's all fine, but if your idea of freedom is burning tyres on your apartment balcony or walking round potentially spreading infectious diseases its not
The key word being highlighted there. Essentially what you're saying is that you're quite happy to watch people suffer incarceration based on a possibility or an assumption of guilt. Whatever happened to innocence until proven guilty? It's supposed to be at the core of western justice systems.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
*Right now*...who knows what is going to happen in the coming months. Best to stay with the devil you know IMO.
I think that's for Gozit to decide. It's a bit of a poor ultimatum either way really.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I think that's for Gozit to decide. It's a bit of a poor ultimatum either way really.
of course...that’s why I said IMO.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

You're doing it again. You're creating unverified accusations against a government without any data that supports your thesis. Where is there any evidence that the Canadian government has 'seemingly authoritarian aspirations'?

The bottom line is like it or lump it. What do you expect, the government to stop what they are doing because they may be compared to an authoritarian state, or be accused of restricting people's freedom? It's not like they are imposing quarantine and restriction of movement for no reason whatsoever. There is this nasty virus going around that is lethal to the elderly and ill of health. It's called COVID-19. It's all over the news, you should check it out.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are in Germany I believe, restrictions on meeting other households, masks mandated in outdoor public spaces and gyms/bars closed in certain parts of the country.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 10:10 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
You're doing it again. You're creating unverified accusations against a government without any data that supports your thesis. Where is there any evidence that the Canadian government has 'seemingly authoritarian aspirations'?

The bottom line is like it or lump it. What do you expect, the government to stop what they are doing because they may be compared to an authoritarian state, or be accused of restricting people's freedom? It's not like they are imposing quarantine and restriction of movement for no reason whatsoever. There is this nasty virus going around that is lethal to the elderly and ill of health. It's called COVID-19. It's all over the news, you should check it out.
It's difficult not to check it out. Nobody ever shuts up about the sodding thing. I'm long past being sick of hearing about it if I'm quite honest and all the cowardice, scare mongering and virtue signalling isn't really making things any better.

No matter how you want to try and spin it, forcing people into house arrest without charge is authoritarianism. When Aung San Suu Kyi was forced into home detention and self isolation in Myanmar, the regime made the argument that it was for the greater public good.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Aug 16th 2020 at 10:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.