Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

This thread is crazy long. Any support for the ArriveCAN app? I am not getting a code on completion. Any insight as to what I am doing wrong?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramallblade
This thread is crazy long. Any support for the ArriveCAN app? I am not getting a code on completion. Any insight as to what I am doing wrong?
When I completed it, it said to obtain the code at arrival on airport. As it’s not available at Pearson Terminal 1, I wasn’t able to follow through anyway.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I am afraid, I have to be back by September. Lot's of things I would have to do. Even my Ontario driver's license is about to expire at some point. However there are probably ways to work around that and renew that online.

Lot's of things are unpopular in the end. It's often and even more and more so down to a fight for personal survival. I have to live with the legal risk and the opinions like yours. However I don't think that the CBSA is going to stake out my place of quarantine for 24 hours a day like in a police movie. I might organize an AirBnB close to any shop which has 24 hours opening times, and at least sneak out at night to stock up on food.
Wow, just wow.

With most supermarkets and liquor stores delivering food and alcohol within the same day; with the invention of Uber eats, are you seriously saying you can't park yourself at an Airbnb for 2 weeks?

If your reason for "survival" is for food and supplies.

Could it be because you don't like the idea of quarantine, and are not concerned about the safety of others?

Old Aug 13th 2020, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramallblade
You have to complete the form on the app within 48 hours of flying. If it doesn't give you the code keep filling out the same application. I eventually got it.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
Wow, just wow.
"wow - just wow" as well from my side.

With most supermarkets and liquor stores delivering food and alcohol within the same day; with the invention of Uber eats, are you seriously saying you can't park yourself at an Airbnb for 2 weeks?
For instance, you can't pick the fruits you like. And you know what that means.... Or how about exercise in the outdoors? ( Yes, it actually strengthens your immune system, any doctor will tell you that....)

If your reason for "survival" is for food and supplies.
I meant by "survival" jobs, income and cash flow. It's that basic to me.

Could it be because you don't like the idea of quarantine, and are not concerned about the safety of others?
Or your suggestive post from your side. Or also the ones from one specific moderator. Moderators are supposed to be neutral towards different positions.

The problem is that an infection is still an infection, no matter where one has been or been travelling from. It's as bad as if it's from an overcrowded beach or park in Toronto, or as bad as from Italy, China and other places. CTV is carefully nurturing this as well. Never reporting on community transmissions, however if there is one case of infection by entering into Canada it's big headlines for them.

I also truly think that the Canadian government has been massively misleading on this. First I distinctly recall that it was first mentioned, that quarantine doesn't prove to be effective. Good, great, I thought to myself, I am out of the woods now. Only a few weeks later they implemented quarantine. The subject with masks was pretty similar, only difference is that I do approve of that.

Also there are false hopes spread by the Canadian government that there might be an end to quarantine and / or an option of testing upon arrival. ( Oh, yes, I forgot the problem that "testing is wrong, the results are all incorrect" ) However that one matter get's prolonged and postponed all the time as well. Wouldn't the Canadian government be better off telling the truth for once, and state that "quarantine is here to stay, until a vaccine is found and somebody entering Canada presents a vaccination certificate".

It would be a whole lot better to be straight for once. However this is unfortunately too much to ask from Dr. Tam or the whole Canadian government. Even the Republic of Ireland managed a Red-List, - Green-List and no, they don't do that for fun.

In the end, it's down to the choice of not returning to Canada, or not getting caught upon arrival in Canada, or waiting for the time when a vaccine is found, which might be by the end of this year,or possibly mid next year ( Oh, wait the vaccination certificate might be wrong or a forgery .....)

Last edited by OrangeMango; Aug 14th 2020 at 8:57 am.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

For instance, you can't pick the fruits you like. And you know what that means....

Or your suggestive post from your side. Or also the ones from one specific moderator. Moderators are supposed to be neutral towards different positions.

The problem is that an infection is still an infection, no matter where one has been or been travelling from. It's as bad as if it's from an overcrowded beach or park in Toronto, or as bad as from Italy....

I also truly think that the Canadian government has been massively misleading on this. First I distinctly recall that it was first mentioned, that quarantine doesn't prove to be effective. Good, great, I thought to myself, I am out of the woods now. Only a few weeks later they implemented quarantine. The subject with masks was pretty similar, only difference is that I do approve of that.

Also there are false hopes spread by the Canadian government that there might be an end to quarantine and / or an option of testing upon arrival. ( Oh, yes, I forgot the problem that "testing is wrong, the results are all incorrect" ) However that one matter get's prolonged and postponed all the time as well. Wouldn't the Canadian government be better off telling the truth for once, and state that "quarantine is here to stay, until a vaccine is found and somebody entering Canada presents a vaccination certificate".

It would be a whole lot better to be straight for once. However this is unfortunately too much to ask from Dr. Tam or the whole Canadian government. Even the Republic of Ireland managed a Red-List, - Green-List and no, they don't do that for fun.

In the end, it's down to the choice of not returning to Canada, or not getting caught upon arrival in Canada.
Moderators are also here to stop debates getting out of hand, believe that was what they were doing here.

I sort of thought Canadas restrictions for quarantine were a little over the top but better safe than sorry is a better approach for the country (even if not for you) and.

1) stating that any country is safer than the US would create unnecessary trump tension.

2)you end up in the same airport as folk from anywhere.

3) looking on less credible forums the open admission on how to circumvent quarantine, how to get flights you shouldn't be able to get, how to get in as a family member or someone with PR then ring IRCC and inform them you are already landed and to be treated as inland, how they aren't going to stick to quarantine makes me think that blanket quarantine is the best approach.

4) it's the price of admission, don't like it, don't go - in the same way I wouldn't holiday in certain countries because of their rules or cultures, this is no different.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Moderators are also here to stop debates getting out of hand, believe that was what they were doing here.

I sort of thought Canadas restrictions for quarantine were a little over the top but better safe than sorry is a better approach for the country (even if not for you) and.

1) stating that any country is safer than the US would create unnecessary trump tension.

2)you end up in the same airport as folk from anywhere.

3) looking on less credible forums the open admission on how to circumvent quarantine, how to get flights you shouldn't be able to get, how to get in as a family member or someone with PR then ring IRCC and inform them you are already landed and to be treated as inland, how they aren't going to stick to quarantine makes me think that blanket quarantine is the best approach.

4) it's the price of admission, don't like it, don't go - in the same way I wouldn't holiday in certain countries because of their rules or cultures, this is no different.
I think the restrictions were not only a little over the top, but massively over the top. On the subject "better safe than sorry", ok this part is understood, but here I have to add that as a Canadian I strongly wish we would have had that debate, or at least discussion on the legalization of cannabis, but this matter is largely forgotten with today's challenges. The same goes for this specific moderator ( and you can guess the name ) with the attitude, "saving lives and business or profit" where I myself would have had the same concerns regarding the cannabis legalization..... What has "Dr" Tam ( or somebody in her role back then ) to say to that? Putting "scientific evidence" before politics eh? We all know where this kind of discussion would lead to..... But as said, this matter is drowned completely now and long forgotten, and Covid 19 dominates.

Regarding Trump and the US, I wouldn't awfully care too much about them, even though they matter economically to us. They recently imposed another measure of new tarifs on us, and we retaliated with another set of tarifs. And that the US and Finland or Ireland are different countries both economically, or Covid19 infections should also be clear do anybody. Ultimately this is an immigration question, and this is up for Canada to decided solely and not by the US or the Trump-US.

It's in the end not flying, but airports which are the big risk. They would have to use the two Terminals at YYZ for arrivals for two different countries separated by the red and the green-list. Anybody arriving from the red-listed countries would never be in contact from the green listed countries. It's not that difficult given that air traffic is down anyway.

The thing is as long as there are borders and the border rules are not understood or liked, people will find a way around that. History has shown us that, no matter if it was the Berlin Wall, the Iron Curtain, or some other place, even North Korea. Getting over the Iron Curtain was more than a "wow - just wow" comment for those who succeeded, it was more like getting over or tunneling under there and being alive, or getting shot.

Thus I strongly and profoundly disagree with the Canadian government on this matter. They should rather police arrivals from "red listed" countries and the results would be way more effective.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Aug 14th 2020 at 10:18 am.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Or also the ones from one specific moderator. Moderators are supposed to be neutral towards different positions.
Not sure which of us you're referring to, as it seems all mods that have posted have had the same response to your posts, but just to say that this isn't the way things work on BE. We are forum members first and foremost, and volunteer mods second - in other words, we are just as entitled to our opinions as any other forum member.

Hope that helps clarify it for you.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 4:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Funny isn't it how some people strive to justify their beliefs that they can do whatever they like, disregarding the rules and regulations in place. How did having quarantine free 'channels' to some countries work for the UK again?? Oh yes, that's right, they have closed their 'quarantine free transit' to many countries........causing untold problems for thousands.. Canada meanwhile, stick to the same rules for all, inconveniencing a few.. and those that don't want to stick with the rules can stay where they are...
Old Aug 14th 2020, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

US/Canada land border closed for another 30 days until 21 September.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 9:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Or also the ones from one specific moderator. Moderators are supposed to be neutral towards different positions.
Wrong. See site rule number 12, and number 14 as well https://britishexpats.com/site-rules

Instead of making up stuff, how about a 'thank you' to the moderators? It's entirely due to the work they do on a voluntary basis that you have this forum to express your opinions.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was funny that someone with less than 300 posts is specifying our job description.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 9:58 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, just wow.

With most supermarkets and liquor stores delivering food and alcohol within the same day.
Is that actually true?

I'm just asking because getting a same day delivery slot in the UK can be hard enough in most of the major urban centres and similarly to the US, Germany, Korea and Japan, the UK is a global leader in online ordering and consumer convenience whereas Canada isn't quite there yet.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ok...

For instance, you can't pick the fruits you like. And you know what that means.... Or how about exercise in the outdoors? ( Yes, it actually strengthens your immune system, any doctor will tell you that....)
Well, I like to indulge in a little thing called 'preparation'. You see, I was aware that I was going to be subjected to quarantine, and respecting the laws of my new country, I took it seriously. So I picked an Airbnb with a big enough garden so I could do some exercise. If you want help with a workout in a small space, I'm happy to help.

So you're stating that you are going to be financially ruined and held back career wise if you simply park yourself in a property for 14 days? If that's the case, you have bigger problems than not agreeing with quarantine.

The problem is that an infection is still an infection, no matter where one has been or been travelling from. It's as bad as if it's from an overcrowded beach or park in Toronto, or as bad as from Italy, China and other places. CTV is carefully nurturing this as well. Never reporting on community transmissions, however if there is one case of infection by entering into Canada it's big headlines for them.

In the end, it's down to the choice of not returning to Canada, or not getting caught upon arrival in Canada, or waiting for the time when a vaccine is found, which might be by the end of this year,or possibly mid next year ( Oh, wait the vaccination certificate might be wrong or a forgery .....)
I can break down everything you said to this statement:

Whether you agree with the Canadian government or not, whether you think there is a conspiracy theory keeping us all locked in, or whether you think Mickey Mouse is behind all of this; it's completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is you doing what you are told by the authorities. The government of Canada say you quarantine for 14 days, so just do it. You can complain about it, that's fine as you are entitled to your opinion. But flouting the rules because they don't suit you whilst sat behind a thinly veiled 'is this really necessary' self-righteous proclamation that somehow allows you to break the law, is quite frankly absurd.

I hate quarantine, but I'm doing it. I need my driver's licence, SIN and OHIP. I can't get my debit card as my bank won't issue it until they have seen me in-person with ID, meaning that I'm getting stung by overseas fees. This also means that I can't get a Canadian number as the networks require you pay your plan with a Canadian debit/credit card. I need a place to live and can't do any viewings until I'm out of quarantine. But I'm doing everything I can from my skype number and my laptop. You know, stiff upper lip and crack on attitude.

You're not the only one suffering from quarantine.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 15th 2020 at 3:37 am. Reason: Edited to correct the quote for you :)
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I-Seeker...please could you edit the above post sorting out the quotes? It makes for a very confusing read.

Could I also ask that no-one quotes i-Seeker’s post until the quotes have been sorted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.