Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thank you. Tbh though I'm not altogether crazy about the decisions of the UK government either. Today there were just over 600 positive cases recorded in the UK, equating to a positive testing result of 0.64%. I can certainly understand maintaining caution but it's starting to feel like a lot of fuss over very little to me. My chances of being hit by a car every time I leave my home are probably greater than that.
I hear you on that although frankly that number scares me. I dont believe for one minute that all the medical professionals and decision makers out there who are far more qualified than I could ever dream I could be are allowing whole countries to be economically hit in the way they are, if its a fuss over very little. They just wouldnt do it. The economies of these countries are going to take years to stabilize. If we are considering it in this way then we can count ourselves fortunate as we have not been affected in some way. My sister-in-law, a nurse in the UK, sees it very differently to you.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
My sister-in-law, a nurse in the UK, sees it very differently to you.
That doesn't surprise me and I'd totally expect her to.

To be fair though, I think this is a sort of morbid dream come true for some medical professionals and particularly those in academia. If you're a virologist then this year will probably keep you going on the lecture and text book circuit for decades to come. It's also in the interests of the media to paint as grim a picture as possible since they're going to prefer people be at laptops or the TV rather than outside enjoying themselves. Medical professionals rarely need to care about economics because economies don't really affect them like they do most other people. Unless they're living in somewhere like Venezuela then it's highly unlikely they'll be out of a job.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:31 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair though, I think this is a sort of morbid dream come true for some medical professionals and particularly those in academia. If you're a virologist then this year will probably keep you going on the lecture and text book circuit for decades to come. It's also in the interests of the media to paint as grim a picture as possible since they're going to prefer people be at laptops or the TV rather than outside enjoying themselves. Medical professionals rarely need to care about economics because economies don't really affect them like they do most other people. Unless they're living in somewhere like Venezuela then it's highly unlikely they'll be out of a job.
Ah but they are not the ones making country wide decisions are they.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:31 pm
Happy

what do you mean?
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Ah but they are not the ones making country wide decisions are they.
No but they have a lot of sway over them, especially in places like the UK and Canada where the healthcare system is public owned.

I have no real big issue with the UK government listening to the NHS though. I just wish they'd pay less attention to the WHO, an organisation that I believe couldn't find its own arse with both hands at this point.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:34 pm
Sidecar Falcon

what do you mean?
If I'd seen some of the things she might have seen when working on the front line in a hospital over the last few months then I don't doubt my views might be very different.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:39 pm
Happy

No but they have a lot of sway over them, especially in places like the UK and Canada where the healthcare system is public owned.

I have no real big issue with the UK government listening to the NHS though. I just wish they'd pay less attention to the WHO, an organisation that I believe couldn't find its own arse with both hands at this point.
And this is why I think you will find it frustrating here, every Canadian I know believes that the medical professionals know what they are talking about and are prepared to follow that guidance.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:40 pm
Happy

If I'd seen some of the things she might have seen when working on the front line in a hospital over the last few months then I don't doubt my views might be very different.
I havent seen what shes seen, what shes shared with me is enough. I dont need to see it to believe it.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair though, I think this is a sort of morbid dream come true for some medical professionals and particularly those in academia. If you're a virologist then this year will probably keep you going on the lecture and text book circuit for decades to come.
Medical professionals rarely need to care about economics because economies don't really affect them like they do most other people.
You want to be 'fair'? Try this. At a time where nurses and doctors are working their guts out, risking their own safety and that of their families by caring for people with covid-19, you're accusing them of taking some sort of warped pleasure in the pandemic? You either need to get some psychiatric help, or be banned for trolling.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

And this is why I think you will find it frustrating here, every Canadian I know believes that the medical professionals know what they are talking about and are prepared to follow that guidance.
Possibly although I'm not sure if all the people in the pictures I've seen of crowded protest marches, beaches and bars in some of the larger cities might entirely agree with you. A lot of this seems to be largely generational regardless of which country you're in.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You want to be 'fair'? Try this. At a time where nurses and doctors are working their guts out, risking their own safety and that of their families by caring for people with covid-19, you're accusing them of taking some sort of warped pleasure in the pandemic? You either need to get some psychiatric help, or be banned for trolling.
Steady on, I wasn't actually talking about them. Please re-read my post because I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Steady on, I wasn't actually talking about them. Please re-read my post because I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick.
Nope. I've given you enough time DG, good luck in the future.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
It is also crazy to see the amount of people that just blindly believe whatever the government tells them is right and correct, without questioning it.
What makes you think that people are not listening to what they have to say, reading up on it, checking other sources and then coming to their own decisions which are in agreement?

The countries which were slow to react, those deciding to do very little or go for herd immunity are the ones with the worst figures. The ones being restrictive or cautious, depending on how you look at it are those doing better. That's not coincidence.

Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I wasn't talking solely about COVID. I was generalizing Canadians in general.
Fair enough. I wasn't entirely sure as the topic had moved on.
In your analogy, the man taking off the parachute may well survive with negligible injury depending how close to the ground he is.
This is true but no injury is better than some or major injury. And death might be better than PVS
Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Once again the thread has been taken off topic by some............. SIGH.

I have removed Gozit and Digital Ghosts OFF TOPIC posts from this thread to a separate thread......... please keep off topic posts to that one...
Thanks.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...thread-934199/.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.