Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 18th 2020, 7:36 pm
  #166  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,774
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
And that's my main cause for concern.
I would stay put until you secure something. Even then it is usually a risk moving to a new job if your old one is secure.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2020, 8:16 pm
  #167  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 323
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post

The US/CAN border, part of which is emblazoned with the words "May these gates never be closed", is now effectively shut for the average person. When Trump started to declare travel bans on countries that would have been considered unthinkable 8 months ago, the world's first reaction was largely to follow suit, pull down the hatches and declare the rest of the world 'unclean'.
.
And look at that border closure, that was largely pushed by Trump I believe - is the one major thing protecting southern Canada and would guess far more % of Canadians want that border to remain closed than % of the US that want it to stay closed.

Worryingly (IMO) is the change whereby unlanded PR that have been approved post border closure can now arrive from America once more and the fact that they have started adding public health officials at land borders - presumably meaning there is going to be somewhat of an increase in land border crossings in coming weeks.

To me its too soon to be opening borders to the majority(read 99%) of countries, especially if they choose to flout quarantine laws. The problem comes as to whether that closure is sustainable for 12-18 months, which is where my doubts lie.
Stumpylegs is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2020, 8:28 pm
  #168  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,166
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I would stay put until you secure something. Even then it is usually a risk moving to a new job if your old one is secure.
​​​​​​Yeah, definitely. The difficult thing is securing something when you're outside the country. I suppose no job is truly permanent or secure these days though.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2020, 8:29 pm
  #169  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,166
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs View Post
And look at that border closure, that was largely pushed by Trump I believe - is the one major thing protecting southern Canada and would guess far more % of Canadians want that border to remain closed than % of the US that want it to stay closed.

Worryingly (IMO) is the change whereby unlanded PR that have been approved post border closure can now arrive from America once more and the fact that they have started adding public health officials at land borders - presumably meaning there is going to be somewhat of an increase in land border crossings in coming weeks.

To me its too soon to be opening borders to the majority(read 99%) of countries, especially if they choose to flout quarantine laws. The problem comes as to whether that closure is sustainable for 12-18 months, which is where my doubts lie.
They've whitelisted certain industries for entry into Canada I believe. One example I saw was film and TV people travelling from the US to Vancouver.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2020, 8:47 pm
  #170  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 16,975
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:05 pm
  #171  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,166
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

On a sort of positive note, the Canadian job market seems to be bouncing back more quickly than a lot of people expected. This is mirrored by the job market in the US. We might see a return to more temporary contracting positions like what happened after the 2008 crisis though.
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/can...1_5022260.html
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2020, 10:09 pm
  #172  
BE user by choice
 
MillieF's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
Posts: 4,843
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Could he a geographical thing based on someone's region of the UK, I don't know.
My family is from Leicester...that is, sadly, not doing so well.
MillieF is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:19 pm
  #173  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 332
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Orange Mango is a Canadian citizen Fact.
He can return to Canada Fact
He must self isolate for 14 days Fact
People have offered to assist him Fact

He chooses to argue the toss about a number of things that affect him travelling back to Canada. Irrelevant. The only things that matter are the Facts. He either chooses to come back and do whatever or he can stay where he is until restrictions are lifted. Millions across the world have suffered due to this pandemic so what makes him so special?
There are times in one's life that one day laws are introduced, once simply can't comply with. Either one isn't in the legal jurisdiction or one simply doesn't get caught. There are also times where there are insurmountable differences in opinion between humans for a solution to be found.

The problem is, that I may be the only honest one as to what my capabilities are and what not, and there may be a lot of people already breaking the 14 day quarantine requirement and not speaking or writing about it. I suspect it to a large degree. The problem is also that policing this requirement seems rather minimal, except for phone calls and occasional visits. They either have to hire a good amount of agents to police this matter or have some kind of electronic help, electronic tagging, bracelets, etc...

We're now 6 months into the pandemic. The question I have is how long is this 14 day quarantine requirement going to go on? If the government doesn't want any changes at all, they should simply say so, - like "until a vaccine is found" not the idiotic "it has to go on as long as it has to..." ( some people seem to be sadly capable of such language these days...) As written so often, other countries have managed a "red" or "green" list, other countries have effective testing ( which is not constantly being questioned as "could be wrong".. ) What makes Canada "so special" to stubbornly refuse this?

And, most of all, why is asking questions in this regard always crushed with a decisive no and lot's of hostility before it's even asked? Why are protesters against wearing masks allowed this way?
OrangeMango is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:57 pm
  #174  
No beginning to my talent
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 322
crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango View Post
There are times in one's life that one day laws are introduced, once simply can't comply with. Either one isn't in the legal jurisdiction or one simply doesn't get caught. There are also times where there are insurmountable differences in opinion between humans for a solution to be found.

The problem is, that I may be the only honest one as to what my capabilities are and what not, and there may be a lot of people already breaking the 14 day quarantine requirement and not speaking or writing about it. I suspect it to a large degree. The problem is also that policing this requirement seems rather minimal, except for phone calls and occasional visits. They either have to hire a good amount of agents to police this matter or have some kind of electronic help, electronic tagging, bracelets, etc...

We're now 6 months into the pandemic. The question I have is how long is this 14 day quarantine requirement going to go on? If the government doesn't want any changes at all, they should simply say so, - like "until a vaccine is found" not the idiotic "it has to go on as long as it has to..." ( some people seem to be sadly capable of such language these days...) As written so often, other countries have managed a "red" or "green" list, other countries have effective testing ( which is not constantly being questioned as "could be wrong".. ) What makes Canada "so special" to stubbornly refuse this?

And, most of all, why is asking questions in this regard always crushed with a decisive no and lot's of hostility before it's even asked? Why are protesters against wearing masks allowed this way?
Your self-indulgent search for validation is, IMO, incredibly tiresome.

And the "hostility" as you put it, is not because you asked a question but because you have stated, repeatedly, that you intend to break the law and potentially put other peoples' lives at risk.
crofty82 is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 2:03 pm
  #175  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,166
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by crofty82 View Post
Your self-indulgent search for validation is, IMO, incredibly tiresome.

And the "hostility" as you put it, is not because you asked a question but because you have stated, repeatedly, that you intend to break the law and potentially put other peoples' lives at risk.
Look, I agree with OM that Canada's laws are a little non-sensical and OTT right now however it is what it is and there's precious little anyone on here can do to change things.

There's a possibility that the Canadian rules could change before September but if they don't and OM is caught flouting the law then it will be him who faces the repercussions really.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jul 21st 2020 at 2:05 pm.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 2:07 pm
  #176  
No beginning to my talent
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 322
crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Look, I agree with OM that Canada's laws are a little non-sensical and OTT right now however it is what it is and there's precious little anyone on here can do to change things right now.

There's a possibility that the Canadian rules could change before September but if they don't and OM is caught flouting the law then it will be him who faces the repercussions really.
If I disagree with the UK speed limit being 70mph, am I justified in doing 100mph on the M6?

And my point stands that if he flouts the rules, he is potentially endangering other people's lives. Just as I would be by driving at that speed on a motorway.
crofty82 is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 2:24 pm
  #177  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,166
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by crofty82 View Post
If I disagree with the UK speed limit being 70mph, am I justified in doing 100mph on the M6?

And my point stands that if he flouts the rules, he is potentially endangering other people's lives. Just as I would be by driving at that speed on a motorway.
I never said it was justified did I? I said he is pretty much convinced that he isn't doing anything wrong at this point. I'm not sure what more anyone else on here can really do about it.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 3:26 pm
  #178  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,488
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by crofty82 View Post
Your self-indulgent search for validation is, IMO, incredibly tiresome.

And the "hostility" as you put it, is not because you asked a question but because you have stated, repeatedly, that you intend to break the law and potentially put other peoples' lives at risk.
+1 to ∞

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post

There's a possibility that the Canadian rules could change before September but if they don't and OM is caught flouting the law then it will be him who faces the repercussions really.
Or potentially others who will reap the repurcussions of his decision and who may lose their lives or have their lives impacted negatively.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 21st 2020 at 3:28 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 3:29 pm
  #179  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,166
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post

Or potentially others who will reap the repurcussions of his decision and who may lose their lives or have their lives impacted negatively.
Well let's just hope that doesn't happen, shall we.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 5:11 pm
  #180  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 26,776
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
On a sort of positive note, the Canadian job market seems to be bouncing back more quickly than a lot of people expected. This is mirrored by the job market in the US. We might see a return to more temporary contracting positions like what happened after the 2008 crisis though.
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/can...1_5022260.html
"the most in-demand jobs right now are sales associates, administrative assistants and customer service representatives, followed by truck drivers, general farm workers and light-duty cleaners."

Except for truck drivers which can make okay money, the rest of the most in demand jobs likely pay at or just above min wage.
Jsmth321 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.