Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You'll have to look in a mirror and tell yourself you don't want yourself there Careful though, it could get messy
I'm sure both of you are smart and worldly enough to have encountered people who for one reason or another will cast prejudice upon their own nationality or race. If you haven't then check our the TIO sub on this forum. Without naming names there are members in there who exhibit such attitudes pretty much habitually.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
FFS the majority of us ARE BRITS - are you so far up your own that you don't get that this is a BRITISH EXPATS forum? If you think so poorly of a) this forum and b) Canada - why are you bothering to come here
In all honesty, that's a question I ask myself pretty much every day atm.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I'm sure both of you are smart and worldly enough to have encountered people who for one reason or another will cast prejudice upon their own nationality or race. If you haven't then check our the TIO sub on this forum. Without naming names there are members in there who exhibit such attitudes pretty much habitually.
This is the CANADA forum = not TIO - we are a completely different kettle of fish ....... if you want to keep arguing / insulting / being antagonistic perhaps you should take it to TIO, we don't like arguing in our Canada forums.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

This is the CANADA forum = not TIO - we are a completely different kettle of fish ....... if you want to keep arguing perhaps you should take it to TIO, we don't like arguing in our Canada forums.
I wasn't meaning to argue with anybody really. I just felt a bit sorry for OrangeMango. I thought people were ganging up on him a bit although I noticed you did offer to help him.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​
Yeah, and?

America's deaths are proportionally lower than those of the UK, Italy, Spain and some other countries. Does that mean the US has done a better job at managing the situation than those countries?

Look, I know you dislike the British, you've made that pretty clear at this point but Jesus Christ. You've won anyway. Canada won't let the majority of UK citizens through its borders so what more do you want?
does it not seem strange to you that no-one in any of the threads about COVID agree with your remarks?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
does it not seem strange to you that no-one in any of the threads about COVID agree with your remarks?
No, I think it's more generational really. That's not to say I'm out going to parties or underground clubs or anything, I'm nowhere near cool or young enough for any of that these days, but I don't believe in going OTT and wrapping myself up in cotton wool either.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Orange Mango is a Canadian citizen Fact.
He can return to Canada Fact
He must self isolate for 14 days Fact
People have offered to assist him Fact

He chooses to argue the toss about a number of things that affect him travelling back to Canada. Irrelevant. The only things that matter are the Facts. He either chooses to come back and do whatever or he can stay where he is until restrictions are lifted. Millions across the world have suffered due to this pandemic so what makes him so special?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty, that's a question I ask myself pretty much every day atm.

It would be a shame to throw all your efforts and perseverence to obtain Permanent Residency in Canada over a few disagreements on the internet - this too will blow over... give it time
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It would be a shame to throw all your efforts and perseverence to obtain Permanent Residency in Canada over a few disagreements on the internet - this too will blow over... give it time
It's not just that Siouxie, all nonsense aside, there's a risk involved in quitting the job I have right now and trying to find one in Toronto, not helped by the fact that I don't have a permanent SIN yet and there are additional bureaucratic obstacles to getting one that in my ignorance I'd never accounted for.

There are still jobs in Toronto doing what I do according to Indeed.ca but it's thrown a lot more uncertainty my way, that's for sure.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You'll have to look in a mirror and tell yourself you don't want yourself there Careful though, it could get messy

Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just that Siouxie, all nonsense aside, there's a risk involved in quitting the job I have right now and trying to find one in Toronto, not helped by the fact that I don't have a permanent SIN yet and there are additional bureaucratic obstacles to getting one that in my ignorance I'd never accounted for.

There are still jobs in Toronto doing what I do according to Indeed.ca but it's thrown a lot more uncertainty my way, that's for sure.
I would be extremely worried about being out of a job in any country at the moment. Companies are laying people off left, right and centre...can’t see many rehiring anytime soon.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Orange Mango is a Canadian citizen Fact.
He can return to Canada Fact
He must self isolate for 14 days Fact
People have offered to assist him Fact

He chooses to argue the toss about a number of things that affect him travelling back to Canada. Irrelevant. The only things that matter are the Facts. He either chooses to come back and do whatever or he can stay where he is until restrictions are lifted. Millions across the world have suffered due to this pandemic so what makes him so special?
I don't disagree with you and I'm one of those who has suffered, albeit less than many other obviously. If you go a few pages back, I never supported OM's ideas to take the piss regarding quarantine regulations. In fact, like all of you, I advised the opposite.

At risk of going slightly OT though, I think when we look back on this year, as I'm sure people will be doing for many decades to come, one of the things we will be ashamed of is that it's exposed just how insular and feudal we are as countries and just how little the allegiances and pacts that have been signed over the last century or so actually mean.

The US/CAN border, part of which is emblazoned with the words "May these gates never be closed", is now effectively shut for the average person. When Trump started to declare travel bans on countries that would have been considered unthinkable 8 months ago, the world's first reaction was largely to follow suit, pull down the hatches and declare the rest of the world 'unclean'. Even now, people who are able to travel are often being subjected to the kinds of treatment normally reserved for animals.

Was there any justification for it? Possibly but I still think it's very sad either way and I wonder if the global response would have been different if the occupant of the White House was a bit more normal.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 6:08 pm
Banned

I will just say this - the only way to win this game >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_Inc. is by closing all the borders
Old Jul 18th 2020, 6:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I will just say this - the only way to win this game >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_Inc. is by closing all the borders
I have to be honest, I've never actually played that game. Since I know it had an add-on pack where you could deploy the simian virus from planet of the apes though, I'm not sure if we should be taking any advice from it.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 6:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would be extremely worried about being out of a job in any country at the moment. Companies are laying people off left, right and centre...can’t see many rehiring anytime soon.
And that's my main cause for concern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.