Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jun 19th 2021, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Is the ONLY reason that you have not returned to Canada, the fact that you would have to quarantine???

What happens if the UK is declared off limits for travel to Canada, because the covid cases numbers are rising rapidly.

I keep an eye on that as one of the affected areas is where I still have an elderly cousin.

In my humble opinion, people should not be allowed to travel from a country that has delayed its' own "open everything" date because of very high covid case numbers,, to one that is getting its own case numbers to decrease, while still have vulnerable people not vaccinated.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

"Britain might ease travel restrictions soon | Times of India Travel" https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/83645179.cms
Old Jun 19th 2021, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be content with just the hotel and quarantine being relaxed for the vaccinated, I've always had the ability to cross into the US and back, but the red tape getting back into Canada wasn't worth leaving, no desire to be forced into quarantine for 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I wouldn't be too over excited on all this.

According to the Toronto Star, we're looking at July 21st at the earliest.

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...estar_business

"The scenario envisioned, and laid out to premiers during a Thursday night call with Trudeau, would see restrictions gradually eased starting July 21 for fully vaccinated travellers first, said Quebec Premier François Legault said.:

However It is unclear whether by "traveller" it is referred to as tourist ( non Canadian, non PR, but vaccinated ) ?

Also the following statement regarding vaccinated Canadian citizens and PR holders does not mention a date when they are eligible to enter. Only that on Monday there will be "a decision". It's entirely possible that vaccinated Canadians and PR holders are to wait until July 21st as well? And not to early July?

"More details on rules for vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents are scheduled to land Monday"

The only certainty I can really read from this article is that the vaccine certificate will have to be uploaded onto the Arrive Canada App, to be verified by an agent. Whether it's the yellow vaccine certificate, or some other printout, is unclear. I would largely guess that "the system" will work very much like an electronic travel authorization, but for Canadian citizens.

"Trudeau said the government plans to have Canadians upload proof of vaccination pictures to the ArriveCan app so border agents can verify someone is fully vaccinated when travelling this summer."

By this statement it would seem that they would be content with just seeing pictures for the vaccination certificate?
Old Jun 19th 2021, 10:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Citizens have always been able to enter Canada - 'come home'.......... quarantine regardless.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Me too I'm expecting (hoping) that they are going to announce Canada Day as the day vaccinated Canadians can come home sans quarantine.
At the moment we just have to wait and see for Monday, and hope that it's really Monday and not something to be procrastinated.

In the worst case scenario it'll still be for vaccinated Canadians or PR holders either:

- the mandatory hotel and the wait for the test result and only the home isolation omitted, or

- the full mandatory 14 day home isolation but without the mandatory hotel stay.

Dr. Tam has her pride as well, thus negative news wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jun 20th 2021 at 8:30 am.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Countries and people in general just want to complicate things too much, if someone has proof of vaccination just accept it, sure some may forge it, but most wont, why waste time on resources with apps and junk.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Countries and people in general just want to complicate things too much, if someone has proof of vaccination just accept it, sure some may forge it, but most wont, why waste time on resources with apps and junk.
Huge +1..
Old Jun 21st 2021, 6:48 am
Account Closed

So it went from 75% with 1st dose and 20% with 2 doses to now according to comments made by Bill Blair the border wont open until its 75% fully vaccinated?

Moving goal posts it seems. Based on comments from Homeland Security it doesn't appear it's the US holding things up.

"The U.S. border is unlikely to be completely reopened until 75% of Canadians are fully vaccinated, Canada’s border chief said on Sunday in comments likely to fuel mounting impatience in both countries at the restrictions."

"“We haven’t reached the finish line, and the finish line is when a significant majority of Canadians, approximately 75%, are fully vaccinated,” Public Safety Minister Bill Blair, told CBC.

https://archive.ph/adHUg#selection-3113.0-3113.221

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 21st 2021 at 6:52 am.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

It's the 5th of July folks!

Fully vaccinated Canadians to be exempt from some post-travel COVID-19 quarantine rules as of July 5 - The Globe and Mail
Old Jun 21st 2021, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Good news. I wouldn't wait too long for the flight back to Canada. Come September new variants will dominate and who knows what other things politicians dream up.

Here is the official link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...g-canada3.html
Old Jun 21st 2021, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good news. I wouldn't wait too long for the flight back to Canada. Come September new variants will dominate and who knows what other things politicians dream up.

It's welcome news but quite why the fully vaccinated need a covid test to board a flight and then another on arrival is a mystery to me. I am not surprised there is 'vaccine hesitancy' when the authorities seemingly don't trust the very vaccines they've encouraged us to all have.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

So for the new requirements for fully vaccinated travelers - my Maltese vaccinations certificate states the vaccine received as "COMIRNATY - BIONTECH" instead of Pfizer ... Comirnaty is the name of the Pfizer vaccine used in Europe. It is the same Pfizer vaccine they just call it that over here for some reason. Is this likely to be an issue or will PHAC/CBSA have knowledge of this?
(Snip of certificate attached)

Old Jun 21st 2021, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
It's welcome news but quite why the fully vaccinated need a covid test to board a flight and then another on arrival is a mystery to me. I am not surprised there is 'vaccine hesitancy' when the authorities seemingly don't trust the very vaccines they've encouraged us to all have.
That's because even fully vaccinated people, can a) catch covid though it probably will be a mild dose, and b) a fully vaccinated person can be asymptomatic and still pass on the covid to other people.

Think PLEASE, of those people who cannot be vaccinated and therefore are still in danger .... children, immune-compromised, etc etc.

Note that you also have to have a prepared quarantine plan in case the 2nd test proves possible.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't see them rolling this back. It wouldn't make sense. I realize most of the federal pandemic response makes no sense but I feel like the backlash would be huge if they rolled back on this. I'm just as critical of the Cdn government as you but I feel like you're trying to find something bad in this when it's really just awesome news!
Old Jun 21st 2021, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scilly
That's because even fully vaccinated people, can a) catch covid though it probably will be a mild dose, and b) a fully vaccinated person can be asymptomatic and still pass on the covid to other people.

Think PLEASE, of those people who cannot be vaccinated and therefore are still in danger .... children, immune-compromised, etc etc.

Note that you also have to have a prepared quarantine plan in case the 2nd test proves possible.
I agree with you I have no problem with the pre-departure and arrival PCR tests and 24hrs quarantine. But at some point the "think of the children!!" fear mentality is going to have to stop. We do have to go back to normal. This is a step towards it. The point of vaccination is not that everyone needs to be vaccinated. But once we reach "herd immunity" those who do not get vaccinated whether by choice, or because they are ineligible or have a pre-existing condition, will be protected by the 75% herd immunity and spread of the disease will cease, therefore we no longer need to protect the unvaccinated with public health measures, they will be protected by those who are and continue to get vaccinated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.