Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jun 16th 2021, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I'd say the same.

The main thing is that the quarantine for vaccinated Canadians will be gone.

What I also expect to happen is that not every vaccine will be accepted to skip quarantine. Biontech/Pfizer and Moderna will be pretty safe choices. The Russian or the Chinese vaccine, I'd say won't. Astra Zeneca and Johnson& Johnson, not sure.
They already said that sputnik and sinopharm are not accepted. Which, I agree with personally.

Canadians abroad should have had the foresight and done research to know those vaccines aren't as effective and likely would hold no weight if they wished to return home.

Vaccine tourism to the US is/was very popular, there were plenty of options for Canadian passport holders to travel to receive one of the vaccines approved by Western governments.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 5:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly the problem, "most cellphones". But which ones, and which ones not?

I am certainly not buying one, just for the sake of entering Canada and then to discover that it doesn't work in Canada.

Also, roaming is not of interest, as I'll be living in Canada, not in Europe. Thus I am only looking for a Canadian contract, and only buy one in Europe if it's not locked and connectivity in Canada is technically possible.
Well lets do it this way then. What cellphone do you have now? You should be able to check with the mighty google, or failing that your cellular service provider, whether it will work in Canada. If, as is likely, it will then all is well. Bring it, App it, get a new SIM when you arrive.
If it doesn't, then go through the "I don't have a cellphone" route that Siouxe has kindly researched for you. Job done.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like BC Premier is wanting the federal government to have a plan in regards to the border at tomorrows meeting.

"Come Thursday, we expect the federal government to have a plan and then we’ll work on building consensus around that,” B.C. Premier John Horgan said ahead of a planned first ministers meeting."

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...om-ottawa.html

Old Jun 19th 2021, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looks like BC Premier is wanting the federal government to have a plan in regards to the border at tomorrows meeting.

"Come Thursday, we expect the federal government to have a plan and then we’ll work on building consensus around that,” B.C. Premier John Horgan said ahead of a planned first ministers meeting."

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...om-ottawa.html
I wouldn't be too over excited on all this.

According to the Toronto Star, we're looking at July 21st at the earliest.

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...estar_business

"The scenario envisioned, and laid out to premiers during a Thursday night call with Trudeau, would see restrictions gradually eased starting July 21 for fully vaccinated travellers first, said Quebec Premier François Legault said.:

However It is unclear whether by "traveller" it is referred to as tourist ( non Canadian, non PR, but vaccinated ) ?

Also the following statement regarding vaccinated Canadian citizens and PR holders does not mention a date when they are eligible to enter. Only that on Monday there will be "a decision". It's entirely possible that vaccinated Canadians and PR holders are to wait until July 21st as well? And not to early July?

"More details on rules for vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents are scheduled to land Monday"

The only certainty I can really read from this article is that the vaccine certificate will have to be uploaded onto the Arrive Canada App, to be verified by an agent. Whether it's the yellow vaccine certificate, or some other printout, is unclear. I would largely guess that "the system" will work very much like an electronic travel authorization, but for Canadian citizens.

"Trudeau said the government plans to have Canadians upload proof of vaccination pictures to the ArriveCan app so border agents can verify someone is fully vaccinated when travelling this summer."

By this statement it would seem that they would be content with just seeing pictures for the vaccination certificate?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jun 19th 2021 at 12:22 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be too over excited on all this.

According to the Toronto Star, we're looking at July 21st at the earliest.

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...estar_business

"The scenario envisioned, and laid out to premiers during a Thursday night call with Trudeau, would see restrictions gradually eased starting July 21 for fully vaccinated travellers first, said Quebec Premier François Legault said.:

However It is unclear whether by "traveller" it is referred to as tourist ( non Canadian, non PR, but vaccinated ) ?

Also the following statement regarding vaccinated Canadian citizens and PR holders does not mention a date when they are eligible to enter. Only that on Monday there will be "a decision". It's entirely possible that vaccinated Canadians and PR holders are to wait until July 21st as well? And not to early July?

"More details on rules for vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents are scheduled to land Monday"

The only certainty I can really read from this article is that the vaccine certificate will have to be uploaded onto the Arrive Canada App, to be verified by an agent. Whether it's the yellow vaccine certificate, or some other printout, is unclear. I would largely guess that "the system" will work very much like an electronic travel authorization, but for Canadian citizens.

"Trudeau said the government plans to have Canadians upload proof of vaccination pictures to the ArriveCan app so border agents can verify someone is fully vaccinated when travelling this summer."

By this statement it would seem that they would be content with just seeing pictures for the vaccination certificate?

It seems we will know on Monday. The quarantine exemption for fully vaccinated exempt (citizen, PR, work permit, family reunification) travelers is separate from the US border closure. I'm optimistic we will see a date in early July that Canadian citizens can re-enter the country with a valid proof of vaccination. It has been said the government will be flexible as to what form this takes until the Canadian "vaccine passport" is ready in the fall. So i'm not sure why you're casting a cloud of doom on it as this is what you (and I) have been advocating for since the start of these stupid travel measures - an exemption from quarantine.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
It seems we will know on Monday. The quarantine exemption for fully vaccinated exempt (citizen, PR, work permit, family reunification) travelers is separate from the US border closure. I'm optimistic we will see a date in early July that Canadian citizens can re-enter the country with a valid proof of vaccination. It has been said the government will be flexible as to what form this takes until the Canadian "vaccine passport" is ready in the fall. So i'm not sure why you're casting a cloud of doom on it as this is what you (and I) have been advocating for since the start of these stupid travel measures - an exemption from quarantine.

Sorry that I have been casting a cloud of doom on this. It is not intended. However I am looking at it rather realistically and indicating that I am prepared for another setback, another postponement, or another set of miserable excuses.

And when I hear "Dr." Tam speak, I have more negative thoughts than positive ones. Ultimately it's never a "science based" approach, but a political one.

I also like to interpret the posted article from the Toronto Star more regarding international travel, or vaccinated US Americans wanting to enter Canada and hoping that it will be a different matter and a different decision for vaccinated Canadians wanting to return. I also like to think that Canada Day is July 1st, it might be a nice present for Canadian citizens as well and not a long wait until July 21st.

Once the quarantine is lifted I'd suggest to book the next flight over to Canada before somebody changes his/her mind. Variants will come and go. Biontech/Pfizer and Moderna are well equipped to deal with that, even though "Dr." Tam might have her doubts.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry that I have been casting a cloud of doom on this. It is not intended. However I am looking at it rather realistically and indicating that I am prepared for another setback, another postponement, or another set of miserable excuses.

And when I hear "Dr." Tam speak, I have more negative thoughts than positive ones. Ultimately it's never a "science based" approach, but a political one.

I also like to interpret the posted article from the Toronto Star more regarding international travel, or vaccinated US Americans wanting to enter Canada and hoping that it will be a different matter and a different decision for vaccinated Canadians wanting to return. I also like to think that Canada Day is July 1st, it might be a nice present for Canadian citizens as well and not a long wait until July 21st.

Once the quarantine is lifted I'd suggest to book the next flight over to Canada before somebody changes his/her mind. Variants will come and go. Biontech/Pfizer and Moderna are well equipped to deal with that, even though "Dr." Tam might have her doubts.
Yes I agree I do not trust Trudeau, Tam, or Hajdu. They are all idiots and hypocritical.

I could care less if US citizens are allowed to enter or not, has no bearing on me since I have a Canadian passport.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I agree I do not trust Trudeau, Tam, or Hajdu. They are all idiots and hypocritical.

I could care less if US citizens are allowed to enter or not, has no bearing on me since I have a Canadian passport.

Trudeau and Hajdu are the "flexible ones". They are "politically available".

Dr. Tam is the problem. She's the one who is always playing the "science basic" card, while her real intentions are to keep her bureaucratic job.

A real physician or a scientist is dealing with different things every day.

Like yourself I am hoping for July 1st.

I've been looking a flights already either from Schiphol or from Frankfurt. I am happy to book as soon as the process of arrival is clear. It'll even be easier, if I don't need to bring a cell phone for the Arrive-Canada app, just some uploaded process of pictures of my vaccination passport, and some ok, in return, if the agent checked is happy with it, some reference number, some document to print out, and I'll be booking my flight. One way.....

I can't wait and I am not the only one.......
Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trudeau and Hajdu are the "flexible ones". They are "politically available".

Dr. Tam is the problem. She's the one who is always playing the "science basic" card, while her real intentions are to keep her bureaucratic job.

A real physician or a scientist is dealing with different things every day.

Like yourself I am hoping for July 1st.

I've been looking a flights already either from Schiphol or from Frankfurt. I am happy to book as soon as the process of arrival is clear. It'll even be easier, if I don't need to bring a cell phone for the Arrive-Canada app, just some uploaded process of pictures of my vaccination passport, and some ok, in return, if the agent checked is happy with it, some reference number, some document to print out, and I'll be booking my flight. One way.....

I can't wait and I am not the only one.......
Personally i'd rather stay abroad, Canada's politics at the moment are just insufferable and i'm tired of certain aspects of Canadian culture. Being abroad the last month has only solidified that. And we don't have people like Tam in charge of public health. But alas I don't have the means at the moment to stay, I need to be back in Canada to figure out how i'm going to move forward with my life which will undoubtedly include spending some time abroad. But other then seeing my family and friends I am not really looking forward to return to Canada.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Personally i'd rather stay abroad, Canada's politics at the moment are just insufferable and i'm tired of certain aspects of Canadian culture. Being abroad the last month has only solidified that. And we don't have people like Tam in charge of public health. But alas I don't have the means at the moment to stay, I need to be back in Canada to figure out how i'm going to move forward with my life which will undoubtedly include spending some time abroad. But other then seeing my family and friends I am not really looking forward to return to Canada.
I know what you mean and I do understand that one loud and clear. The shallow culture can be something easygoing in a positive sense compared to some things in Europe, but also lacking in real culture depth and history when once get's older and wants more.....

To me it's the job market. Uploading my resume and I get a phone call returned with ease often from a major IT player, - that's also Canada to me, especially Toronto. Nowhere in Europe I have that response.

In the end, no country is perfect. Look at any EU country or the UK for that matter. Condo prices, condo service fees and rents are a problem everywhere these days, not exclusive to any country.

Old Jun 19th 2021, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know what you mean and I do understand that one loud and clear. The shallow culture can be something easygoing in a positive sense compared to some things in Europe, but also lacking in real culture depth and history when once get's older and wants more.....

To me it's the job market. Uploading my resume and I get a phone call returned with ease often from a major IT player, - that's also Canada to me, especially Toronto. Nowhere in Europe I have that response.

In the end, no country is perfect. Look at any EU country or the UK for that matter. Condo prices, condo service fees and rents are a problem everywhere these days, not exclusive to any country.
Agreed. Job markets in Canada are easier to navigate - i've applied for a couple jobs here in Europe and either have never heard back or was unable to proceed as the salary was so low I wouldn't be able to afford to live on my own, afford a car, and commuting costs. Let alone have anything left for indulgences.

I'm focusing on running my own business and trying to work remotely for a US/Canadian company in a 100% remote position that does not require proximity to an office. Then when I get tired of Canada I can leave and come and go as I please for the most part.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Agreed. Job markets in Canada are easier to navigate - i've applied for a couple jobs here in Europe and either have never heard back or was unable to proceed as the salary was so low I wouldn't be able to afford to live on my own, afford a car, and commuting costs. Let alone have anything left for indulgences.

I'm focusing on running my own business and trying to work remotely for a US/Canadian company in a 100% remote position that does not require proximity to an office. Then when I get tired of Canada I can leave and come and go as I please for the most part.
The impression, I've had is 70 to 80% it's my own attitude and 20 to 30 % skills and knowledge. Nearly every face to face interview, I've had in Canada lead to an offer and I am not bragging about it. In Mainland Europe this was sadly way way different for me, in a negative sense.

However that's all for another thread.

Important thing is that quarantine free entry into Canada is possible for us vaccinated Canadians.

Then life continues.

Getting vaccinated twice is one thing, but finding a bureaucrat who will actually believe you is another thing, and Dr. Tam is again another variable of uncertainty.

We'll see what happens on Monday. A realistic plan? Or another set of ridiculous regulations?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jun 19th 2021 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Trudeau has said at least once recently that in his opinion, he would like at least 75% of all Canadians to have received the first vaccination, and at least 30% to have had the 2nd jab, before the land border with the US should be re-opened.

That could be extrapolated to mean also all borders.

We're not there yet.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scilly
Trudeau has said at least once recently that in his opinion, he would like at least 75% of all Canadians to have received the first vaccination, and at least 30% to have had the 2nd jab, before the land border with the US should be re-opened.

That could be extrapolated to mean also all borders.

We're not there yet.

I've read that as well, but that is targeted at Americans or vaccinated Americans wanting to visit Canada.

The decision on Monday will be about vaccinated Canadians and PR holders returning to Canada. Or at least that's what I understood.

Old Jun 19th 2021, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

I've read that as well, but that is targeted at Americans or vaccinated Americans wanting to visit Canada.

The decision on Monday will be about vaccinated Canadians and PR holders returning to Canada. Or at least that's what I understood.
Me too I'm expecting (hoping) that they are going to announce Canada Day as the day vaccinated Canadians can come home sans quarantine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.