Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 31st 2021, 11:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Being able to go about your business without having to consider how much you can travel around, what businesses you may go to, using restaurants and attending major sporting events like we all used to be able to do is pretty much normal.
It is until you realise you cannot leave the state, let alone the country. For a country with a larger per capita immigrant population than Canada, it's at best a strange kind of faux normal.

I think of Australia atm like one of those settlements in the walking dead where they build a fence to keep out the horde and then pretend like nothing ever changed in the world. It's all well and good to build a bubble like that until you realise your life is no more real than Disneyland and you're only ever one broken plank away from disaster.

And although I'm no epidemiologist, based on basic maths and logic, I would have thought it could be a disaster. Unlike North America and Europe, Australia will have a very low level of immunity amongst its population. They're taking a very nonchalant attitude towards vaccination as well which suggests they have zero desire to open up beyond the NZ bubble for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 31st 2021 at 11:27 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 3:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I made a general comment that things are pretty much normal because of the measures they had taken.
As examples I gave the Rugby Championship they hosted a few months ago - with spectators in attendance, the tennis open they are about to host - with spectators - and their offer to host the British Lions vs South Africa test series - with spectators - because of the difficulties in SA and UK of holding the matches, let alone with spectators.

Being able to go about your business without having to consider how much you can travel around, what businesses you may go to, using restaurants and attending major sporting events like we all used to be able to do is pretty much normal.

Boiler came along to troll/be negative/exaggerate as usual.

But the response of the authorities is not a whim, it's an example of how they keep life pretty much normal.
Yes. That is pretty much it. Normal day to day life really. Yes, there is a difficulty re overseas travel due to the out of control pandemic in other places around the globe, but the majority of folk were not flitting here there and everywhere before the pandemic. They were living their lives on home turf with maybe a couple of trips a year or so if $ allowed & they still are.

Perhaps the distance from the NH as opposed to being up in the NH is a part of how it is all viewed. We're not hopping to London and the like. It is a major long haul.
Better to have normal home life and some travel than all sorts of bother + major worries that covid is waiting to ambush from anywhere at any time.
he wouldn't do as he does.

As always and as I have written to Boiler many times in the past, I do wish he would desist and resist. OK for TIO maybe but even then folks get a bit cheesed orf.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 4:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A gentle reminder to all.... not aimed at anyone specific..
Forum Rules
1. Personal Attacks

BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is “in it together”, please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others’ points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully … without insult or personal attack.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The off topic posts re Australia have been moved into a separate thread in TIO. Please post further remarks here...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/mapl...thread-936889/

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 1st 2021 at 3:48 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

More off topic posts re Grocery Delivery moved here...

Off Topic Posts moved from Covid Quarantine thread: Grocery delivery
Old Feb 1st 2021, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Article that popped up today, patients who go to the US for cancer treatment want some exemptions from the quarantine rules. Sounds like they receive treatments in a trial that is not available in Canada (I imagine if it were available here they wouldn't be travelling), and have to travel to Los Angeles for it on a regular basis.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tine-1.5895687
Old Feb 1st 2021, 7:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Article that popped up today, patients who go to the US for cancer treatment want some exemptions from the quarantine rules. Sounds like they receive treatments in a trial that is not available in Canada (I imagine if it were available here they wouldn't be travelling), and have to travel to Los Angeles for it on a regular basis.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tine-1.5895687
I doubt there could be many better examples of essential travel than that.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:33 am
Sidecar Falcon

So according to this article and the government sources they quote, it is only going to be for non-essential travellers. People entering for work, essential purposes or refuge would be exempt. I have to admit, I did wonder how they would go about enforcing it on refugees but I guess it's just a case of waiting for the official government info.

https://ipolitics.ca/2021/01/29/migr...to-quarantine/
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

What’s the consensus on the “quarantine plan” element of flying in; do I have to have this written down on a piece of paper or can I literally just say what my plan is when asked?
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:59 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
What’s the consensus on the “quarantine plan” element of flying in; do I have to have this written down on a piece of paper or can I literally just say what my plan is when asked?
No, you just answer questions when asked. If you have any documents to prove it then that obviously wouldn't hurt but they just want to make sure you have somewhere to go and won't be mingling in society for the next fortnight.

It's all going to depend on your own circumstances really. If you own a house in Canada and live there alone then you're likely to face slightly less scrutiny than a returning international student who normally lives in a shared residence.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
No, you just answer questions when asked. If you have any documents to prove it then that obviously wouldn't hurt but they just want to make sure you have somewhere to go and won't be mingling in society for the next fortnight.

It's all going to depend on your own circumstances really. If you own a house in Canada and live there alone then you're likely to face slightly less scrutiny than a returning international student who normally lives in a shared residence.
ok thanks just me overthinking things as usual. I own my house and my partner will not be there while I’m quarantining, she’s stocked me up on beer and food so should be all good.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 9:19 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
ok thanks just me overthinking things as usual. I own my house and my partner will not be there while I’m quarantining, she’s stocked me up on beer and food so should be all good.
You'd be fine then. Just provide that address on ArriveCan and have a plan for how you intend on getting there just in case they ask and I can't see anybody having a problem with it. When are you planning to return?
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

So according to this article and the government sources they quote, it is only going to be for non-essential travellers. People entering for work, essential purposes or refuge would be exempt. I have to admit, I did wonder how they would go about enforcing it on refugees but I guess it's just a case of waiting for the official government info.

https://ipolitics.ca/2021/01/29/migr...to-quarantine/
According to the government travelling to care for a seriously ill or dying family member is considered essential so do I qualify for an exemption from the $2,000 charge?
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 5:56 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Gozit
According to the government travelling to care for a seriously ill or dying family member is considered essential so do I qualify for an exemption from the $2,000 charge?
And that's the question really. How do they go about enforcing it if it's only for non-essential travel?

They've already said they have no plans to introduce it at the land borders at present so many of the snow birds who contributed to much of the situation in the first place will end to getting away with it.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

And that's the question really. How do they go about enforcing it if it's only for non-essential travel?

They've already said they have no plans to introduce it at the land borders at present so many of the snow birds who contributed to much of the situation in the first place will end to getting away with it.
The press release says "“The quarantine measures announced today are for travellers that are flying for vacation reasons.” so it would seem anyone coming to work or in the process of moving over would be exempt the $2000? If that's the case then this is actually good news - well if it applies to travellers from the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.