Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 7th 2021, 4:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
yet there are no restrictions regarding domestic air travel...i travel every week by air to Vancouver and Prince George from Edmonton..when this all started West Jet and Air Canada were only selling every other seat to keep social distancing on planes..as the year has gone on..flights have been cut and the selling the every other seat rule went out the window a long time ago..now when i get on a plane flights are full ..you cant social distance and are sat next to people who you have no idea who they are or where they have been..but somehow that's ok..but visiting your family is not ok and frowned upon and you can be fined etc
As of today all passengers boarding an international flight to Canada, will have to produce a negative Covid test, taken within 72 hrs of boarding.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As of today all passengers boarding an international flight to Canada, will have to produce a negative Covid test, taken within 72 hrs of boarding.
So will they accept the quick airport tests or does it have to be a PCR test? If so that's going to catch people out.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 4:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
yet there are no restrictions regarding domestic air travel...i travel every week by air to Vancouver and Prince George from Edmonton..when this all started West Jet and Air Canada were only selling every other seat to keep social distancing on planes..as the year has gone on..flights have been cut and the selling the every other seat rule went out the window a long time ago..now when i get on a plane flights are full ..you cant social distance and are sat next to people who you have no idea who they are or where they have been..but somehow that's ok..but visiting your family is not ok and frowned upon and you can be fined etc
Atlantic Provinces have some restrictions.
Atlantic provinces are restricting entry for people from other provinces and territories. You may require documents to declare your arrival.
Westjet give you an option to change your seat up to an hour before the flight, but apparently are adhering to IATA / Govt regulations and don't need to separate people any longer :
See what seats are selected: During, or even after you've checked in, you have up to 1 hour before departure to see which seats are occupied and select or change your seat. Fare type may affect eligibility and change fees.
*Note that flight loads are dynamic and not guaranteed until ten minutes prior to departure.
If you were on a flight from Edmonton you might want to check > https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...atherings.html
Old Jan 7th 2021, 6:41 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
So will they accept the quick airport tests or does it have to be a PCR test? If so that's going to catch people out.
1, NO, it has to be a PCR test.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:03 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1, NO, it has to be a PCR test.
No they accept LAMP tests as well which from the UK at least have a much faster turnaround time.

Tests must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular test, such as a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) test. The test must be taken within 72 hours of the traveller’s scheduled departure to Canada. Other types of tests, such as antigen tests, will not be accepted.
Some European countries don't accept LAMP tests but Canada does.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 1:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/...-interim-order
Old Jan 14th 2021, 8:02 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie. I should have included that source link really.

I'm looking at flying to Canada in just over a month from now so in all likelihood I would need one of those tests and I've done a bit of research on it over the last few days. In the UK a lamp test result can be delivered in under 2 hours whereas the average turnaround for a PCR seems to be 1-2 days unless you're willing to pay for a priority service at around 250 quid.

Standard lamp services are cheaper than their PCR equivalents as well so there aren't many reasons to opt for the latter so far as I can see unless you need to transit through a country that only accepts PCR.

​​​​​​
Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks Siouxie. I should have included that source link really.

I'm looking at flying to Canada in just over a month from now so in all likelihood I would need one of those tests and I've done a bit of research on it over the last few days. In the UK a lamp test result can be delivered in under 2 hours whereas the average turnaround for a PCR seems to be 1-2 days unless you're willing to pay for a priority service at around 250 quid.

Standard lamp services are cheaper than their PCR equivalents as well so there aren't many reasons to opt for the latter so far as I can see unless you need to transit through a country that only accepts PCR.

​​​​​​
That's good to know but remember that quite a few people who have covid are asymptomatic. If you take the PCR test at the maximum of 72 hours before you travel and get a positive at least you have a day or so to cancel / rearrange things and mitigate any losses. Finding out you have covid just minutes before boarding would not be so great.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:19 am
Sidecar Falcon

That's good to know but remember that quite a few people who have covid are asymptomatic. If you take the PCR test at the maximum of 72 hours before you travel and get a positive at least you have a day or so to cancel / rearrange things and mitigate any losses. Finding out you have covid just minutes before boarding would not be so great.
Sorry I should have been more clear on that. I was planning to take the LAMP test 48-72 hours prior to departure. I just like the idea of the result coming back within a couple of hours. Waiting overnight only to then potentially hear that the test was inconclusive and you have to go back and take it again just seems unnecessarily stressful.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 14th 2021 at 11:06 am.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry I should have been more clear on that. I was planning to take the LAMP test 48-72 hours prior to departure. I just like the idea of the result coming back within a couple of hours. Waiting overnight only to then potentially hear that the test was inconclusive and you have to test it again just seems unnecessarily stressful.
Definitely the way to go, can you get LAMP tests outside of airports? By the way Boots are now doing PCR tests for £120.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 11:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

Definitely the way to go, can you get LAMP tests outside of airports? By the way Boots are now doing PCR tests for £120.
Yes. Many of the major airports now offer LAMP test appointments for £79. If you do want to use Boots instead then check the website for your local airport. Many of them are running an affiliate scheme that will take 5-10% off the price of a Boots PCR test. Obviously it isn't much but it helps. The private clinics are milking this for all it's worth and are asking for £149+ for a basic PCR test service.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes. Many of the major airports now offer LAMP test appointments for £79. If you do want to use Boots instead then check the website for your local airport. Many of them are running an affiliate scheme that will take 5-10% off the price of a Boots PCR test. Obviously it isn't much but it helps. The private clinics are milking this for all it's worth and are asking for £149+ for a basic PCR test service.
I've seen some postal tests North of £200!
Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering, has anybody taken the "48-Hour-Quarantine-Alberta-Path" recently? Or can somebody help me with my questions?

As far as I researched, this is still an option for returning Canadians arriving directly into Calgary. I would qualify as a returning Canadian citizen arrving on a KLM flight from Amsterdam into Calgary, however I don't have an Alberta driver's license, but one from Ontario. ( Don't know if that's a problem? )

https://travel.borderpilot.alberta.ca/

The only problem I see here is that I would have to get a smart phone? Or can the app also be installed on a laptop ( with an android emulation ) ? I also use the laptop with Skype for all of my calls? And buying a smart phone or signing a contract in Europe just for the trip to Canada is not really feasible? ( Or which European phones without contracts do really work in Canada ? )

Also regarding a 14 day stay in a hotel, hotels seem to be open:
But how about an AirBnB? Would it be legal to pre-book an AirBnB in Calgary from Europe for the first 14 days in Canada.

https://www.ahla.ca/2020/11/25/new-c...lberta-hotels/

As far as I can guess, the only challenge I see is the smart phone. I would have to buy a smart phone in Europe which also works on a technically in Canada? The chip for the cell phone can probably be bought separately / taken as a contract once I am in the country?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jan 14th 2021 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alberta have closed this program to UK and South African arrivals due to the new Covid variant.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta have closed this program to UK and South African arrivals due to the new Covid variant.
That's fine, but that's not what I was asking. I have not been in the UK for more than 2 years ( and can prove that ), and have never been in South Africa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.