Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
They won't. They're not going to stop you from doing anything. This isn't 1984 and they don't have a constant camera on you or the means to monitor your movements. You might get the occasional email or phone call but that will usually be the extent of it.

You can get into trouble if they see you out and about in public and without a good reason though.
I'm aware they have no possible way to enforce it, that comment was slightly tongue in cheek. I laugh though as some compare the covid measures as "COVID-1984" because of how overreaching some of them are.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I'm aware they have no possible way to enforce it, that comment was slightly tongue in cheek. I laugh though as some compare the covid measures as "COVID-1984" because of how overreaching some of them are.
I would describe the measures taken in Australia to be quite authoritarian but then I don't consider Australia to be a free country under normal circumstances anyway. Canada's measures aren't actually that bad when you look at them from a global perspective apart from the ongoing blanket restrictions when it comes to foreigners.

Tbh I wouldn't wish a fortnight stuck in a basement apartment on anyone but if you have a family home to live in then I really don't think you need to worry all that much.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I would describe the measures taken in Australia to be quite authoritarian but then I don't consider Australia to be a free country under normal circumstances anyway. Canada's measures aren't actually that bad when you look at them from a global perspective apart from the ongoing blanket restrictions when it comes to foreigners.

Tbh I wouldn't wish a fortnight stuck in a basement apartment on anyone but if you have a family home to live in then I really don't think you need to worry all that much.
I agree with you. I consider myself very lucky to live here with a strong constitution and charter of rights, even if at the moment some of them are being infringed upon, as you said it's not as bad as other places and there are legal means to challenge them in place.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 7:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't the UK been one of the countries held up as adopting much more flexible and 'reasonable' practices regarding Covid?

Daily new cases has increased from around 400 two months ago to around 1000 a month after. Two or three weeks ago they announced the highest weekend figure and a highest daily figure since May.

The figures keep going up and up. They announce a new record high, followed by a new record high followed by a new record high and so on.

Current daily figures are running at over 6000. The highest since a single day back in April.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 3:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Hasn't the UK been one of the countries held up as adopting much more flexible and 'reasonable' practices regarding Covid?

Daily new cases has increased from around 400 two months ago to around 1000 a month after. Two or three weeks ago they announced the highest weekend figure and a highest daily figure since May.

The figures keep going up and up. They announce a new record high, followed by a new record high followed by a new record high and so on.

Current daily figures are running at over 6000. The highest since a single day back in April.
Yes but if you take an objective view, look at Sweden. After being mocked by much of the world, they're now going into the autumn and winter looking far better than most. The UK could have been in a very similar situation if it hadn't chickened out back in March and replicated the measures of Communist China rather than those of a free country.

Also the UK does more testing than most these days so based on basic maths alone, its numbers will be higher. It's those countries and territories that have really tried to wrap themselves up in cotton wool over the last 7 months that are going to suffer heavily in the long run, especially if no silver bullet vaccine actually materialises.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 4:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but if you take an objective view, look at Sweden. After being mocked by much of the world, they're now going into the autumn and winter looking far better than most.
Not when I looked a couple of days ago. They're still out in front of most, particularly similar countries, thanks to the early damage. A bit like the UK it seems they killed off many of the elderly and vulnerable quite early on.

Also the UK does more testing than most these days so based on basic maths alone, its numbers will be higher.
The UK has increased testing to an extent but not over the more recent period that has seen such large increased numbers.

The recent predictions for a rise in deaths (as well as new cases) is not because of extra testing. Unless there's something they haven't told us and test kills people.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 4:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Not when I looked a couple of days ago. They're still out in front of most, particularly similar countries, thanks to the early damage. A bit like the UK it seems they killed off many of the elderly and vulnerable quite early on.
Yes but those were largely people who probably would have died soon enough anyway be it from a seasonal flu or some other ailment. IMHO the Swedish approach was the right one however I wouldn't expect<snipped> to understand or agree with that.

Anyway let's not take this any further OT shall we. They don't like that kind of thing around here.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 26th 2020 at 10:36 pm. Reason: let's not make it personal, thanks.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 7:42 pm
Oscar nominated

Yes but those were largely people who probably would have died soon enough anyway be it from a seasonal flu or some other ailment.
Do you not remember that figures were produced to show they were additional deaths to those normally expected for seasonal flu or some other ailment?
IMHO the Swedish approach was the right one however I wouldn't expect <snipped / quote> to understand or agree with that.
Well that can really only be said with any authority at the end of it all. For now they are - at least when I posted on 17th Sept -
7th highest deaths per million pop in Europe out of 48.
9th highest death total
10th most cases per million pop.

Given that treatment for those falling ill has improved is also a reason for fewer deaths compared to earlier times, just imagine how much better Sweden's figures would appear if they had taken a different approach early on.
Anyway let's not take this any further OT shall we.
This is on topic though. Quarantine/self isolation has been an aspect of Covid all the way.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 26th 2020 at 10:35 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 7:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

This is on topic though. Quarantine/self isolation has been an aspect of Covid all the way.
I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you on that one.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So today is the day the order expires, no news yet on it being extended. I'm not optimistic that they will actually switch gears on it but they seem to be waiting until the absolute last minute to announce the extension
Old Sep 30th 2020, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

So today is the day the order expires, no news yet on it being extended. I'm not optimistic that they will actually switch gears on it but they seem to be waiting until the absolute last minute to announce the extension
It was extended yesterday.

Old Oct 22nd 2020, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Pilot project in Alberta with rapid testing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ilot-1.5772637
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Pilot project in Alberta with rapid testing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ilot-1.5772637
So, does this mean that I can travel internationally from Pearson Airport, go on my trip, return to Canada via Calgary with an airbnb booked for 14 days (so I have a place of quarantine for 14 days in case i test positive), get the rapid test, then on day 7 if i test negative the second time I can return home to Ontario, all without self isolating if I am negative? Or does one have to stay in Calgary for 14 days? (That is still preferable to self isolating!)

Edit: Or, can I get a rapid test on day 7 in Ontario? It just says community pharmacy participating in the trial, Ontario pharmacies could be participating as well.

Last edited by Gozit; Oct 22nd 2020 at 9:17 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, does this mean that I can travel internationally from Pearson Airport, go on my trip, return to Canada via Calgary with an airbnb booked for 14 days (so I have a place of quarantine for 14 days in case i test positive), get the rapid test, then on day 7 if i test negative the second time I can return home to Ontario, all without self isolating if I am negative? Or does one have to stay in Calgary for 14 days? (That is still preferable to self isolating!)

Edit: Or, can I get a rapid test on day 7 in Ontario? It just says community pharmacy participating in the trial, Ontario pharmacies could be participating as well.
I answered my own question, you have to remain in Alberta for 14 days but I don’t believe you have to be an Alberta resident.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 1:19 pm
Oscar nominated

I answered my own question...
Those are the best questions. Who wants the opinion of someone else when your own opinion does fine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.