Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Sep 17th 2020, 2:11 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
Then why bother testing at all if it is supposedly not accurate? And why is it good enough for the governments of Greece, Cyprus, Malta, UAE, some US states to waive the quarantine requirement upon presentation of a negative test within 72hrs of arrival if the test is supposedly not accurate?
Not all tests are equal.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

koaski is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if you can quarantine in the same house as other family members who did not travel with you? Say we stayed with the better half's mum in her basement and avoided all contact until the 14 days are up... is that acceptable?

I didn't think it would be an option so we were looking at airbnb's but the guidance seems to hint that it would be ok:Permitted during quarantine:
  • You may use shared spaces, or private outdoor spaces in your place of quarantine provided you:
    • Avoid contact with others who did not travel with you;
    • Disinfect spaces after use;
    • Wear a suitable non-medical mask or face covering if a distance of 2 metres from others residing in your place of quarantine cannot be maintained.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 3:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Then why bother testing at all if it is supposedly not accurate?
Not sure that it's inaccurate, just not as good at picking up low virus load. Or maybe it's skewed by the type of test. for example the 'home' test kits only go up the nose, not reaching as far back as those that go beyond the nostril, further into the respiratory tract.
There's also been some suggestion that if the virus has moved into the lungs it won't necessarily be picked up in either of those tests.
And why is it good enough for the governments of Greece, Cyprus, Malta, UAE, some US states to waive the quarantine requirement upon presentation of a negative test within 72hrs of arrival if the test is supposedly not accurate?
I would suggest that countries like Greece and Cyprus were very dependent on tourism and will do what they can to encourage that.

USA has seen almost three times the deaths for million population than Canada. I'll side with Canada I think.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 4:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not sure that it's inaccurate, just not as good at picking up low virus load. Or maybe it's skewed by the type of test. for example the 'home' test kits only go up the nose, not reaching as far back as those that go beyond the nostril, further into the respiratory tract.
There's also been some suggestion that if the virus has moved into the lungs it won't necessarily be picked up in either of those tests.

I would suggest that countries like Greece and Cyprus were very dependent on tourism and will do what they can to encourage that.

USA has seen almost three times the deaths for million population than Canada. I'll side with Canada I think.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koaski
Does anyone know if you can quarantine in the same house as other family members who did not travel with you? Say we stayed with the better half's mum in her basement and avoided all contact until the 14 days are up... is that acceptable?

I didn't think it would be an option so we were looking at airbnb's but the guidance seems to hint that it would be ok:Permitted during quarantine:
  • You may use shared spaces, or private outdoor spaces in your place of quarantine provided you:
    • Wear a suitable non-medical mask or face covering if a distance of 2 metres from others residing in your place of quarantine cannot be maintained.
I'm not entirely sure on this one. It seems to defeat the purpose as if i'm self isolating I can definitely spread to other members of my household who did not travel. And i'm not wearing a mask or physical distancing in my own home that's for sure so that guidance is a bit rich.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

From the Canadian Gov't website seems to indicate you can stay with friends or family provided you can isolate and not expose anyone not in your travel group. So staying a friends basement suite would be acceptable it seems, as long as the conditions are met.

Worst case though, the government puts you in a hotel for 14 days if you don't have a suitable place to self isolate or can't afford a hotel.

Before you travel, you must plan to quarantine or isolate in a suitable place. If you don’t, you may be assessed further. If you can’t quarantine in your own home, consider other options within your financial means, such as:
  • hotel
  • motel
  • other paid housing
  • friends or family, as long as you won’t expose anyone who:
    • is not part of your travel group
    • is at risk of more severe outcomes of COVID-19

There is more info on this website for more in depth details.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

I'm not entirely sure on this one. It seems to defeat the purpose as if i'm self isolating I can definitely spread to other members of my household who did not travel. And i'm not wearing a mask or physical distancing in my own home that's for sure so that guidance is a bit rich.
Exactly! Seems to defeat the purpose entirely which is why we were looking for airbnbs. And to be honest, I'm not sure I feel it's worth the risk of potentially infecting family members if we did pick something up on the plane regardless of if it's technically allowed. No matter how careful we are to stay separate, we're still under the same roof and it would be awful to potentially bring covid in.

But the guidance is very unclear.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
From the Canadian Gov't website seems to indicate you can stay with friends or family provided you can isolate and not expose anyone not in your travel group. So staying a friends basement suite would be acceptable it seems, as long as the conditions are met.

Worst case though, the government puts you in a hotel for 14 days if you don't have a suitable place to self isolate or can't afford a hotel.

Before you travel, you must plan to quarantine or isolate in a suitable place. If you don’t, you may be assessed further. If you can’t quarantine in your own home, consider other options within your financial means, such as:
  • hotel
  • motel
  • other paid housing
  • friends or family, as long as you won’t expose anyone who:
    • is not part of your travel group
    • is at risk of more severe outcomes of COVID-19

There is more info on this website for more in depth details.
Yep - that's how I read it too. Just seems a bit too easy (and risky!) so wasn't sure if I was interpreting it correctly.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 11:49 pm
Banned

Yep - that's how I read it too. Just seems a bit too easy (and risky!) so wasn't sure if I was interpreting it correctly.
You’re strongly urged to make housing arrangements for quarantine or isolation before you arrive in Canada. In most cases,this can be in your own home or in the same place you’re visiting in Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ml#a_arriveCAN
Old Sep 18th 2020, 12:18 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not all tests are equal.
Indeed. I watched a video today of a woman in the USA having a COVID swab and saying how easy Ii was. Well it would be easy as the swab only went in a couple of inches if that
Old Sep 18th 2020, 12:21 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who were not allowed to quarantine with people they did not travel with
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:45 pm
Banned

I think they mean if there were an in-law suite or a separate part of a house where you could self isolate (i.e. your own bathroom, bedroom, exit door to the outside, without any 'common' areas) - and somewhere food could be left for you to collect, you could stay in the same household... provided none of them were over the age of 65 or with underlying health issues..
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think they mean if there were an in-law suite or a separate part of a house where you could self isolate (i.e. your own bathroom, bedroom, exit door to the outside, without any 'common' areas) - and somewhere food could be left for you to collect, you could stay in the same household... provided none of them were over the age of 65 or with underlying health issues..
Right...but realistically if I do that i'm not going to stay in my bedroom and have food brought to me, i'm going to go downstairs and sit with my family and eat. I don't know how they expect to enforce that.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.jccf.ca/justice-centre-c...y-quarantines/

This legal firm has challenged the government before, namely they represented a Canadian woman who was denied a passport because she didn't have an "urgent" need to travel.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:38 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Right...but realistically if I do that i'm not going to stay in my bedroom and have food brought to me, i'm going to go downstairs and sit with my family and eat. I don't know how they expect to enforce that.
They won't. They're not going to stop you from doing anything. This isn't 1984 and they don't have a constant camera on you or the means to monitor your movements. You might get the occasional email or phone call but that will usually be the extent of it.

You can get into trouble if they see you out and about in public and without a good reason though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.