Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 28th 2020, 12:40 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
For the RV - depending on time of year - less than an airbnb. A decent size cabin tent will set you back around $350 - the rest of the equipment about $300 (less if you buy 2nd hand before you go then ask parents to erect and set it up on your return) - so yes, cheaper than an airbnb again.. and you can use it again later

Was this the kind of thing you were looking for? (price may depend on time of year, obviously) https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/32740416...QZm%2FU2dZgbDp

or this.. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2967961...out=2021-08-21
$1,157 for 2 weeks in August 2021 There are lots out there... depends what you want to pay
in practice though there isn't much about. A friend has been frantically looking after being let down. One of the cheapestvwas a Motel 6 room.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 4:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
in practice though there isn't much about. A friend has been frantically looking after being let down. One of the cheapestvwas a Motel 6 room.
Where are they looking - and when for? Price is a factor, of course.. I found dozens that were available using different web sites (nor just Airbnb)
Old Aug 28th 2020, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to disagree with attempting to break the law because the consequences are just not worth it. It's not like a traffic ticket or parking ticket where you pay a fine and you're on your way or i'm sure there would be lots of people flouting the quarantine laws. I agree that it is a little autocratic in nature (especially now that the majority of Europe and USA have relaxed quarantine laws in place of rapid testing) but it is something that virtually all countries did from March until June when it started relaxing, and that is where Canada is lagging behind.

I agree though I don't understand certain people's attitude or they give you the cold shoulder for having a different opinion or merely suggesting the fact that there could be an alternative to the 14 day quarantine. FWIW I understand and respect why most people would agree with it - it seems like a "safe" option, and travel just isn't as important to most Canadians as it is to most of us on here who have homes and hearts in more than one place and have had the privilege to see and live in more than one country.

A good chunk of people I know do not even have a valid passport or have travelled outside the country in the last 5 years, so it's just a low priority issue for them whereas for people like you and I it is a high priority issue.

As a culture Canadians do not travel as much as Brits or Europeans do.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 28th 2020 at 2:16 pm. Reason: Post quoted deleted
Old Aug 28th 2020, 1:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad that CBSA Officers and IRCC Officers read and watch this forum and others (yes, they know which ones to watch) -- hopefully they will be on the lookout for those who talk about flouting the Canadian Government Regulations when it comes to quarantine.. they have ways and means of identifying people from the information they put out in the public eye.

I hardly think comparing people letting authorities know about someone coming into Canada and deliberately and willfully (without due reason) flouting the regulations and who could potentially be a carrier of Covid 19 - which could infect hundreds - is the same as someone 'reporting to Gestapo-style Stasi officers' or Communist countries of old. Overkill on Drama anyone?

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 28th 2020 at 1:43 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad that CBSA Officers and IRCC Officers read and watch this forum and others (yes, they know which ones to watch) -- hopefully they will be on the lookout for those who talk about flouting the Canadian Government Regulations when it comes to quarantine.. they have ways and means of identifying people from the information they put out in the public eye.

I hardly think comparing people letting authorities know about someone coming into Canada and deliberately and willfully (without due reason) flouting the regulations and who could potentially be a carrier of Covid 19 - which could infect hundreds - is the same as someone 'reporting to Gestapo-style Stasi officers' or Communist countries of old. Overkill on Drama anyone?
Yeah, I agree with you. Disagreeing with the law is one thing, breaking it is another given the consequences. I vehemently disagree with the mandatory quarantine but I will follow it if I choose to travel while it is in effect.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 28th 2020 at 1:43 pm. Reason: edited my post
Old Aug 28th 2020, 1:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I agree that it is a little autocratic in nature (especially now that the majority of Europe and USA have relaxed quarantine laws in place of rapid testing) but it is something that virtually all countries did from March until June when it started relaxing, and that is where Canada is lagging behind.
I keep reading that this state and that state is announcing the highest numbers of cases/deaths in months and I keep reading that one European country after another is possibly entering second waves where they are taking it in turns to similarly announce highest number of cases/deaths since months ago.

I can't help but wonder if there's a connection between these worrying increases in numbers and relaxed quarantine restrictions.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I keep reading that this state and that state is announcing the highest numbers of cases/deaths in months and I keep reading that one European country after another is possibly entering second waves where they are taking it in turns to similarly announce highest number of cases/deaths since months ago.

I can't help but wonder if there's a connection between these worrying increases in numbers and relaxed quarantine restrictions.
That's fair. I would say that most of the places experiencing this "second wave" (including the province of BC) would also say that cases are up BUT hospitalisations/deaths are not. That's because the age bracket of 18-39 are the most common carrier in the new cases due to pandemic/social distancing fatigue. I don't think the increase is due to lack of travel restrictions moreso lack of people following distancing/masking, and in some places (eg Malta) where the government cancelled all restrictions and mass chaos ensued.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 3:32 pm
Banned

Better hurry back to blighty if you don't want to have to quarantine for 14 days in the UK~ https://twitter.com/grantshapps/stat...13767154536449 << twitter link <<
Quoted to enable the twitter link to show for all.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 28th 2020 at 3:35 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 5:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Where are they looking - and when for? Price is a factor, of course.. I found dozens that were available using different web sites (nor just Airbnb)
oh it's sorted and done but anywhere within a 3 or 4 hour drive from Kingston. There were many of us on the case, looking. Interestingly she was never offered govt accomodation.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
That's fair. I would say that most of the places experiencing this "second wave" (including the province of BC) would also say that cases are up BUT hospitalisations/deaths are not. That's because the age bracket of 18-39 are the most common carrier in the new cases due to pandemic/social distancing fatigue. I don't think the increase is due to lack of travel restrictions moreso lack of people following distancing/masking, and in some places (eg Malta) where the government cancelled all restrictions and mass chaos ensued.
My mate back in England has been reviewing his nights out on the "eat out to help out" scheme (bloody skinflint) on his blog.
One restaurant handled it all as it should but the other places he went to - including pubs - sound like business as usual as in pre-pandemic days.
It may be a bit of both - pandemic fatigue and complete disregard of the conditions advised to be able to open.

Of course, what the 18-39 people 'do' with it once picked up is the potential problem.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
It's pretty much the same situation to me. Also, sadly there are too many in this forum who are in favour of the 14 day quarantine regulation.

It's either "don't go back to Canada" at all, or "don't get caught within 14 days of arrival". Other choices I don't have. It's simply impossible for me to spend 14 days in a room, in an apartment regardless of what others are doing, have done, or what the law says in this matter.

I'd say the Canadian government should better come clean with the public that the 14 day quarantine in the case of return form countries other than the US is "here to stay indefinitely" until a vaccine is found and not postpone the decision every one to two months.

Realistically we would be talking about early to mid 2021. And even then and judging by the Canadian government's past behaviour they would doubt the vaccination certificate and the effectiveness of the vaccine itself, same as they doubt testing at airports. At this point I only have irony.

It's not the Canada I have gotten to know in the past. Also the statement "scientific evidence" seems only to be there to shield anything from incompetence to the wish not to question certain decisions.

Don't mistake my support of the quarantine with being in favour of it. I didn't like being in quarantine, and would rather have not done it. Having a two-year-old son made it worse. But, we prepared and spent more money (more than what we were comfortable paying) on a bigger property to stay at for 2 weeks. It made a huge difference in staying in a big house. My wallet is still in intensive care recovering from from the cost of the Airbnb, but it was worth it.

Perhaps you may want to hold off coming and save a little more money, that way you can afford a bigger property?

Where you and I differ in opinion, is when it comes to your willingness to flout the law for [insert any reason you feel justifies breaking the law].

Where I do agree with you is the fact that the government may want to be more upfront with their plans for restricting the movement of people. I understand it's hard as they are playing a political tight rope with the US administration, and their stats on COVID which require improvement. It would nice to be told how long the measures will be in place, instead of extending the travel ban every month. While I doubt it will be permanent, I'm worried it may be many many months.

I want to go back home for Christmas, and my family would like to come here and visit. It doesn't look like any of those scenarios will happen this year.

Old Aug 29th 2020, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
How would a hotel room work for meals etc, surely you need to have self catering accomodation.

Last edited by Revin Kevin; Aug 29th 2020 at 2:45 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 29th 2020, 4:00 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
How would a hotel room work for meals etc, surely you need to have self catering accomodation.
Many hotels have kitchenettes in the rooms but you usually get a microwave and fridge. You can get food and groceries delivered.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 4:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Your repetitive self-indulgent whinging has become incredibly tiresome. Go away.

Old Aug 29th 2020, 5:04 pm
Banned

MIght be difficult getting back to the UK without having to quarantine there now as well for some previously 'safe' countries - how will certain people manage that, I wonder - by deciding to disregard the rules or evade the authorities there too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.