Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 21st 2020, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by bc2015
If you have quarantined correctly then any infection you get is likely due to community transmission and not due to travel. I think 14 days is on the upper end of the potential infection period, I think 5-10 days after exposure is when most infections present (open to correction).
But why is it any different though? An infection is still an infection and we don't require people to quarantine for 14 days after they've gone into the community so travel shouldn't be any different.

It made sense when we were trying to shut down the amount of people importing it into the country to potentially eradicate the virus, but now our spread is too much and we won't be able to do that, so blocking imported cases is not the primary focus now.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
My Russian visa was done online but the Ruskies tend to make it up as they go along from what I've seen.
For a Canadian citizen you have to send in the following: https://canada.mid.ru/web/canada-en/tourist-visa

As an Eu citizen I can get an eVisa right now to St Petersburg or Kalingrad, from 1/1/2021 I can get an eVisa to all of Russia.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
But why is it any different though? An infection is still an infection and we don't require people to quarantine for 14 days after they've gone into the community so travel shouldn't be any different.

It made sense when we were trying to shut down the amount of people importing it into the country to potentially eradicate the virus, but now our spread is too much and we won't be able to do that, so blocking imported cases is not the primary focus now.

For a Canadian citizen you have to send in the following: https://canada.mid.ru/web/canada-en/tourist-visa

As an Eu citizen I can get an eVisa right now to St Petersburg or Kalingrad, from 1/1/2021 I can get an eVisa to all of Russia.
I don't know tbh, it was several years ago now during 1 night layover in Moscow. I recall it being a pain in the arse because the hotel had to sponsor it and only the expensive ones were willing to handle the paperwork. The first couple I tried to book via Expedia cancelled my reservation immediately and I wound up staying in a Radisson.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

vagabonding is an unknown quantity at this point

Trudeau is looking more like an autocrat each day https://financialpost.com/diane-fran...dian-democracy

I personally think the 14 day quarantine is ridiculous. As some have said, why not implement testing and a 3-5 day quarantine during the "incubation period" upon return. For me my desire to leave Canada has never been higher. The goverment is corrupt and reckless, we are seeing Ontario extending its emergency powers....for what... there are a handful of cases a day and we are now into the single digits for deaths. Trudeau is dangerous and the Bank of Canada and the goverment are going to bankrupt this country just like they did in the 90's when they went cap in hand to the IMF. the Bank of Canada is telling people to spend spend spend, and thats not an exageration.

The UK is a lot more reasonable in its apprach to what is happening. Boris is trying to get people back to work and support business whilst we have Tam the WHO puppet telling everyone get ready for the second wave (never really had a first) and the banks arent going back to 2021 at the earliest. Thats because in the monoply/oligopoly state of Canada the banks are just an extension of goverment. Goverment has gotten way to big here. They run everything from airlines to telecommunications and even bailed out the media. I really dont like where this country is headed and cant wait to get out.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vagabonding
Trudeau is looking more like an autocrat each day https://financialpost.com/diane-fran...dian-democracy

I personally think the 14 day quarantine is ridiculous. As some have said, why not implement testing and a 3-5 day quarantine during the "incubation period" upon return. For me my desire to leave Canada has never been higher. The goverment is corrupt and reckless, we are seeing Ontario extending its emergency powers....for what... there are a handful of cases a day and we are now into the single digits for deaths. Trudeau is dangerous and the Bank of Canada and the goverment are going to bankrupt this country just like they did in the 90's when they went cap in hand to the IMF. the Bank of Canada is telling people to spend spend spend, and thats not an exageration.

The UK is a lot more reasonable in its apprach to what is happening. Boris is trying to get people back to work and support business whilst we have Tam the WHO puppet telling everyone get ready for the second wave (never really had a first) and the banks arent going back to 2021 at the earliest. Thats because in the monoply/oligopoly state of Canada the banks are just an extension of goverment. Goverment has gotten way to big here. They run everything from airlines to telecommunications and even bailed out the media. I really dont like where this country is headed and cant wait to get out.
The WE thing should finish Trudeau but it probably won't!
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let the plane door hit you on your arse on your way back to blighty................ sounds like you'll be happier there
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Don't let the plane door hit you on your arse on your way back to blighty................ sounds like you'll be happier there
lol. Great comeback 🙄
This complacency in this country is why it is the way is. After all one of the classic Canadian sayings is "it is what it is" . This is why Canadians put up with being ripped off for everything and allowing a corrupt prime minister to stay in power. In any other developed country the PM would have been destroyed by the press and people
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

lol. Great comeback 🙄
This complacency in this country is why it is the way is. After all one of the classic Canadian sayings is "it is what it is" . This is why Canadians put up with being ripped off for everything and allowing a corrupt prime minister to stay in power. In any other developed country the PM would have been destroyed by the press and people
It was tongue in cheek - no offense meant by it

But in all seriousness, if you truly dislike Canada and the laid back attitude of most Canadians, then perhaps you would be happier back in blighty ........ take care..... hope you find your happy place
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... allowing a corrupt prime minister to stay in power.
Not to get political or anything but to say that while praising Boris when the UK government is the most sleazy bunch since the Hamiltons were about is frankly astonishing.
Boris, Cummings et al are busy lining their pockets with government awarded contracts not put out to tender. Have you not been paying attention?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not a massive fan of Boris and yes there is corruption there as well. However Trudeau is the biggest slime hypocrite of all time. I mean the black face thing alone should of finished him the first time. There were 3 incidents of this. He is a full blown sociopath. At the G7 meeting he was showing of his socks to the aussie PM. That idiot is going to bankrupt this country, and then there are the the policies his goverment is introducing that limit free speech. Scary path. And quite frankly everything is a rip off. It's so hard to get ahead unless you work for the goverment
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 8:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The Trudeau thread
Old Aug 26th 2020, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Since parliament is reconvened until 23rd sept, will they have to bring parliament back to extend the mandatory isolation if that is their intent?
Old Aug 26th 2020, 9:51 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

There are aspects to Canada that don’t always thrill me but “apathy” can be a double edged sword...it stops over reacting.

“We” often seem to want to move to Canada, for all sorts of different reasons, and then when we get here, complain about it for other things. I have personally done that, admit to it, and have hopefully moved on...

It isn’t England, it, regrettably, isn’t Europe, in my bit it has a God awful climate but when it gets too much for me I shall move on...we are the moving parts, Canada doesn’t need to go anywhere and will change, like most societies, in due course. A process, not a race.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MillieF
There are aspects to Canada that don’t always thrill me but “apathy” can be a double edged sword...it stops over reacting.

“We” often seem to want to move to Canada, for all sorts of different reasons, and then when we get here, complain about it for other things. I have personally done that, admit to it, and have hopefully moved on...

It isn’t England, it, regrettably, isn’t Europe, in my bit it has a God awful climate but when it gets too much for me I shall move on...we are the moving parts, Canada doesn’t need to go anywhere and will change, like most societies, in due course. A process, not a race.
And that's the mystery of life... nowhere is perfect.

I've always lived here never had the chance to try living elsewhere. Millie I know you have a son about my age (?) and he has lived in France before correct? What is his take on Europe vs. Canada?

I had no issue with Canada that was pressing enough for me to think about emigrating any time soon, I was content with working and taking holiday in Europe or wherever else whenever I wanted. I wouldn't be able to afford that if I emigrated, and I don't want to leave my friends and family.

But the continued pandemic restrictions that aren't allowing me to travel it almost seems like those restrictions will force me to emigrate even temporarily if the quarantine requirement is not lifted in 2021. The UK has built a rapid testing facility at LHR and is planning on an air bridge with New York. Canada has announced nothing of the sort and government is just digging its heels in with the 14 day rule.

I can't even travel and accept the 14 day quarantine on return as I have nowhere to quarantine without inconveniencing other people since I do not live alone. I would have to rent an airbnb for 14 days which would add onto the already high cost of travel and would mean if I traveled for 2-3 weeks I would actually need to take 5 weeks vacation to accommodate the quarantine. I don't know of a job here that will let you take 5 weeks in one go and then let you do it again in a few months the next time you want to travel.

Old Aug 27th 2020, 2:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Gozit
And that's the mystery of life... nowhere is perfect.

I've always lived here never had the chance to try living elsewhere. Millie I know you have a son about my age (?) and he has lived in France before correct? What is his take on Europe vs. Canada?

I had no issue with Canada that was pressing enough for me to think about emigrating any time soon, I was content with working and taking holiday in Europe or wherever else whenever I wanted. I wouldn't be able to afford that if I emigrated, and I don't want to leave my friends and family.

But the continued pandemic restrictions that aren't allowing me to travel it almost seems like those restrictions will force me to emigrate even temporarily if the quarantine requirement is not lifted in 2021. The UK has built a rapid testing facility at LHR and is planning on an air bridge with New York. Canada has announced nothing of the sort and government is just digging its heels in with the 14 day rule.

I can't even travel and accept the 14 day quarantine on return as I have nowhere to quarantine without inconveniencing other people since I do not live alone. I would have to rent an airbnb for 14 days which would add onto the already high cost of travel and would mean if I traveled for 2-3 weeks I would actually need to take 5 weeks vacation to accommodate the quarantine. I don't know of a job here that will let you take 5 weeks in one go and then let you do it again in a few months the next time you want to travel.
Perhaps you could rent a small RV (there's companies that will bring it and then take it away after) and have it placed on the driveway (or at an RV place close by).. or buy a cabin tent, a port a loo, get a camping stove.. and have an electric extension from the house for lights, kettle (even a microwave), computer and mini fridge (I'm sure family would 'deliver' meals at a safe distance if necessary - or you could order in, having it left at the side gate for your collection - make it a mini vacation in itself
Old Aug 27th 2020, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps you could rent a small RV (there's companies that will bring it and then take it away after) and have it placed on the driveway (or at an RV place close by).. or buy a cabin tent, a port a loo, get a camping stove.. and have an electric extension from the house for lights, kettle (even a microwave), computer and mini fridge (I'm sure family would 'deliver' meals at a safe distance if necessary - or you could order in, having it left at the side gate for your collection - make it a mini vacation in itself
Would that realistically be less money then spending $800-1000 on an airbnb?

I can also get very claustrophobic (which is half my problem with the 14 day quarantine!) so I feel like an RV would be too small for me...interested though I know you mentioned for some other people locating an airbnb/similar accommodation for the 14 days i'd be interested to see what you came up with that was decently large, with outdoor spaces, etc. Can be anywhere in the GTA, London area, or even further south/west, e.g. grand bend/lambton shores area.

The cost isn't a huge problem I was moreso complaining about the fact that it is an extra cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.