Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
All that a test shows is that you don't have Covid 19 AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME. You can test negative and have it - and / or develop symptoms a few days later... or never develop symptoms at all. Duh.
And I could get symptoms a few days after being let out of imprisonment quarantine too.

If testing on arrival is good enough for pretty much most of the EU and other countries why isn't it good enough for us?
Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I look at everything from a legal standpoint. Sorry if you don't agree with that but that's just how I roll.

And sadly I think that's what far too much of this boils down to and is why Canada will likely be one of the last countries to re-open. It's a shame as well because it's going to cost Canadian jobs and is going to make the country look increasingly isolated and backward in the eyes of the world.

It's a risky business too because even if Biden does win in November and gets to work fixing this as quickly as possible in his first few months of office, that's still going to be at least 12-18 months that normal Canadians will never get back.
I agree with you re the legal bit - this is a legal issue and should be a legal issue because you are restricting people's constitutionally protected freedoms. So it absolutely is a legal issue and the sweeping powers that are granted to UNELECTED public health officials should not be so in a democratic country.

I've always thought that's exactly what it is. I've only ever had to apply for tourist visas when I've been to countries with whom Britain is on less than friendly or reciprocal terms e.g. Russia and Turkey.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
we had to get visas to visit Australia and NZ.
That must have been a long time ago.

As an EU citizen I can apply for eVisitor (Free) to Australia online and NZETA ($35 NZD) Electronic travel authority.

As a Canadian the NZ one is the same and the Australian one costs a nominal fee.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:10 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

As an EU citizen I can apply for eVisitor (Free) to Australia online and NZETA ($35 NZD) Electronic travel authority.

As a Canadian the NZ one is the same and the Australian one costs a nominal fee.
That's still a visa though. Australia has a blanket visa policy for non-citizens and always has AFAIK. The New Zealand one is a more recent addition.

EU nationals get Australian e-visas free of charge because the EU threatened to remove visitor waiver rights for Australians if a cost was applied. ESTA and eTA manage to circumvent EU reciprocal visa laws by branding themselves as an authorisation system rather than a visa which is why you don't need one if you arrive at the Canadian/US land border.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

That's still a visa though. Australia has a blanket visa policy for non-citizens and always has AFAIK. The New Zealand one is a more recent addition.

EU nationals get Australian e-visas free of charge because the EU threatened to remove visitor waiver rights for Australians if a cost was applied. ESTA and eTA manage to circumvent EU reciprocal visa laws by branding themselves as an authorisation system rather than a visa which is why you don't need one if you arrive at the Canadian/US land border.
Interesting, I did not know that...makes sense to me.

I guess I don't equate eTAs to actual visas as they don't really require any strenuous info or refused for arbitrary reasons like, say, Russian or Chinese visas.

I wonder how long it will take the EU to deny entry to Canadians since the Canadian government refuses to reciprocate allowing EU citizens into the country for any reason.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, I did not know that...makes sense to me.

I guess I don't equate eTAs to actual visas as they don't really require any strenuous info or refused for arbitrary reasons like, say, Russian or Chinese visas.

I wonder how long it will take the EU to deny entry to Canadians since the Canadian government refuses to reciprocate allowing EU citizens into the country for any reason.
eTA's aren't visas. They're travel authorisations. They're essentially a way to alleviate pressure on the airlines and government resources by preventing potentially inadmissible people from boarding flights in the first place. To be fair to Canada, eTA is one of the more affordable and passenger-friendly ones i.e. it only costs a few dollars and is valid for the life of a passport rather than just 1-2 years.

Your question is a very good one since the EU said it wouldn't waive travel restrictions on any country that didn't reciprocate for EU citizens. I honestly doubt they'll do anything about it though.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

2018 Australia and NZ
2019 NZ

Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
2018 Australia and NZ
2019 NZ
As I said I guess it can go both ways. I don't see the eTA visas on the same caliber as actually having to go to an embassy and provide a letter of invitation, etc, pay $100+ and have the counterfoil visa put in your passport.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As I said I guess it can go both ways. I don't see the eTA visas on the same caliber as actually having to go to an embassy and provide a letter of invitation, etc, pay $100+ and have the counterfoil visa put in your passport.
What countries have made you do that? I've had visas for probably around 25 countries over the years and have never had to visit an embassy.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What countries have made you do that? I've had visas for probably around 25 countries over the years and have never had to visit an embassy.
Sorry, I suppose I should have said mail in your passport rathern than visit in person. I don't know of anywhere its specifically required to visit in person, but the rest of the documentation, letter of invitation I know for sure is required by Russia. Although EU citizens will be able to travel there with an eVisa as of 1/1/2021 so that will be nice.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I suppose I should have said mail in your passport rathern than visit in person. I don't know of anywhere its specifically required to visit in person, but the rest of the documentation, letter of invitation I know for sure is required by Russia.
That sounds very specific to Russia, I've never visited there. Never required anything like that for any other country I've visited thankfully.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 4:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Hong Kong and wanted to visit the US on our round the world trip - we were only in the US for 2 days total - my (then, now deceased) husband and I had to queue at the US Embassy gates to make an appointment to enter to submit our visa application and then return to collect our passports with the tourist visa in. I remember it well, but it was over 30 years ago, no doubt they have changed the requirements a few (dozen) times since then

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 20th 2020 at 4:14 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The US can require an in person visit to an embassy or consulate for an interview.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...t/visitor.html

I guess the ETA when I went to Australia could be considered a visa of sorts, but it was really simple process, and didn't require me to leave my apartment.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA and eTA manage to circumvent EU reciprocal visa laws by branding themselves as an authorisation system rather than a visa which is why you don't need one if you arrive at the Canadian/US land border.
You still have to pay the $6 I-94 fee. At the land border you pay it directly to the agent, if flying it's included as part of fees in your ticket.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

And I could get symptoms a few days after being let out of imprisonment quarantine too.
If you have quarantined correctly then any infection you get is likely due to community transmission and not due to travel. I think 14 days is on the upper end of the potential infection period, I think 5-10 days after exposure is when most infections present (open to correction).
Old Aug 20th 2020, 7:00 pm
Sidecar Falcon

That sounds very specific to Russia, I've never visited there. Never required anything like that for any other country I've visited thankfully.
My Russian visa was done online but the Ruskies tend to make it up as they go along from what I've seen.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 7:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by bc2015
You still have to pay the $6 I-94 fee. At the land border you pay it directly to the agent, if flying it's included as part of fees in your ticket.
That's a landing tax that has always been there since I-94w was invented. If you book an international flight to the US then it's paid for by part of the airline ticket fee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.