Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 19th 2020, 4:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
Which doesn't help me as i'm a Canadian citizen so can already enter/leave as I please so long as I follow the 14 days.

I saw the flight plan thing but it seemed very vague and not a lot of concrete info was given..typical for this government and public health administration.
For your reading pleasure
https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/...ansport-canada
https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/...ating-covid-19
https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/...-measures#toc8

Airports worldwide https://www.icao.int/safety/Pages/CO...rt-Status.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 19th 2020 at 4:38 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't really give any info that we don't already know, have to wear a mask, enhanced cleaning bla bla bla ...I didn't understand how this "flight plan" is any different to what has been in place since May
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...d-19-1.5689249

"Mohamed said Canada's travel restrictions will continue as long as the global outbreak remains a threat, foreign visitors risk spreading COVID-19, and "no reasonable alternatives" are available to prevent the virus's spread. "

But there is - testing on arrival and requiring a previous negative covid test in order to avoid the quarantine.

(Sly also suggested that Canada could explore other methods of controlling its borders, such as mandating rapid COVID-19 tests for arriving travellers, as is already happening in several Caribbean countries.)

Idiots.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 10:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...d-19-1.5689249

"Mohamed said Canada's travel restrictions will continue as long as the global outbreak remains a threat, foreign visitors risk spreading COVID-19, and "no reasonable alternatives" are available to prevent the virus's spread. "

But there is - testing on arrival and requiring a previous negative covid test in order to avoid the quarantine.

(Sly also suggested that Canada could explore other methods of controlling its borders, such as mandating rapid COVID-19 tests for arriving travellers, as is already happening in several Caribbean countries.)

Idiots.
All that a test shows is that you don't have Covid 19 AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME. You can test negative and have it - and / or develop symptoms a few days later... or never develop symptoms at all. Duh.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
All that a test shows is that you don't have Covid 19 AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME. You can test negative and have it - and / or develop symptoms a few days later... or never develop symptoms at all. Duh.
Until they come up with a 90% + proof test, this is the reality and the reason Canada won't accept the tests.

Tests are currently 70% accurate? That's not good enough to just let someone loose in Canada after a test.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 10:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
Until they come up with a 90% + proof test, this is the reality and the reason Canada won't accept the tests.

Tests are currently 70% accurate? That's not good enough to just let someone loose in Canada after a test.
Exactly.. totally agree.

A relative was (officially) told that there was a 70% chance of getting a false negative result .. and reports appear to confirm this
Old Aug 20th 2020, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Exactly.. totally agree.

A relative was (officially) told that there was a 70% chance of getting a false negative result .. and reports appear to confirm this
I had a work colleague get a negative result, had a second test and it was positive. Third test was negative. Had a fourth and final test.

Positive.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I had a work colleague get a negative result, had a second test and it was positive. Third test was negative. Had a fourth and final test.

Positive.
Bloody hell! Eenie meenie minie mo....
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Bloody hell! Eenie meenie minie mo....
He was sure he had it and most likely passed it on to many people in the office.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 4:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

He was sure he had it and most likely passed it on to many people in the office.
I hope he, you and your colleagues are all ok.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 11:39 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The problem here is you are looking at this as a legal issue, rather than a public health one.
I look at everything from a legal standpoint. Sorry if you don't agree with that but that's just how I roll.

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
I fully expect them to be extended another month as opening up to the rest of the world before the US would be a political no no IMO.
And sadly I think that's what far too much of this boils down to and is why Canada will likely be one of the last countries to re-open. It's a shame as well because it's going to cost Canadian jobs and is going to make the country look increasingly isolated and backward in the eyes of the world.

It's a risky business too because even if Biden does win in November and gets to work fixing this as quickly as possible in his first few months of office, that's still going to be at least 12-18 months that normal Canadians will never get back.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Aug 20th 2020 at 11:43 am.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 11:49 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Whether its due to lack of customers, but you can get some proper awesome airbnbs for bargain prices now, I've got one eye on things in the hope that my PR comes through and an exemption is made for those settling like those from the US have now been granted. Given the lack of soft landings and the fact that they want everyone to travel together - my original plan of hiding in a hole for 2 weeks, then bringing the other half over once I'd got a place sorted is a no go.

But plenty of lakeside cabins set on an acre or so of land that are pet friendly within a couple of hours of international airports are going for semi reasonable prices, granted they aren't on instacart or the like, but some of them are on other services or have IGA in the town or the like offering such a service.

For what its worth reference quarantine, whether you do or don't agree with it, the fact is it is there, it exists, risking the punishment for breaking it is foolish as well as selfish. Which leaves the choice of not coming, or coming and getting on with it. You can't control the situation you are in, but you can very much control your attitude to the situation you are in.
Those are all well and good and you can make a nice vacation out of it, assuming you have the money to do so. The only problem there is, unless you know people locally who can bring you stuff, then you might be dependant upon limited delivery options in that locality.

It's a catch 22 situation. Staying in downtown Toronto or Vancouver when you're not really allowed to leave the premises you've chosen seems a little pointless however you will also have a world of food delivery options at your disposal there. Also if you're looking to use the LCBO/Liquor Stores to have anything other than beer or wine delivered when you're on a 1 way flight out of the UK to a non-EU country and potentially have airport duty free shopping at your disposal then I think you might be doing it wrong.

Many nice hotels are also similarly priced to AirBnB's btw since they're not exactly full of bookings atm and they have the advantage of being far more amenable to travel plan changes if you get dicked around on flights (like I have been by Transat twice already in the last few weeks) and you don't have to clean them yourself etc.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Aug 20th 2020 at 11:55 am.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 11:51 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's not a punishment that some people require visas.
I've always thought that's exactly what it is. I've only ever had to apply for tourist visas when I've been to countries with whom Britain is on less than friendly or reciprocal terms e.g. Russia and Turkey.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 12:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I've always thought that's exactly what it is. I've only ever had to apply for tourist visas when I've been to countries with whom Britain is on less than friendly or reciprocal terms e.g. Russia and Turkey.
we had to get visas to visit Australia and NZ.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 12:16 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
we had to get visas to visit Australia and NZ.
Which says a lot about how those two countries view and relate to the wider world I think.

Don't even get me started on those two though. I'd happily tear into them all day but this isn't really the thread for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.