Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 16th 2020, 10:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Depends where you are in Germany I believe, restrictions on meeting other households, masks mandated in outdoor public spaces and gyms/bars closed in certain parts of the country.
And are German states preventing people from other parts of Germany from crossing their borders? Because unless they are then I don't think the two situations are comparable, sorry.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It's difficult not to check it out. Nobody ever shuts up about the sodding thing. I'm long past being sick of hearing about it if I'm quite honest and all the cowardice, scare mongering and virtue signalling isn't really making things any better.

No matter how you want to try and spin it, forcing people into house arrest without charge is authoritarianism. When Aung San Suu Kyi was forced into home detention and self isolation in Myanmar, the regime made the argument that it was for the greater public good.
Aung San Suu Kyi was one person, a politician instrumental in making changes to a country that opposed it.

Please tell me you understand the difference between unfair treatment of one person for political vantage, and restricting the movement of people generally to try and stop the spread of a generally unknown virus that kills mostly elderly and infirm and on occasions young and healthy people (including generations of that person) for no apparent reason.

Old Aug 16th 2020, 10:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
Aung San Suu Kyi was one person, a politician instrumental in making changes to a country that opposed it.

Please tell me you understand the difference between unfair treatment of one person for political vantage, and restricting the movement of people generally to try and stop the spread of a generally unknown virus that kills mostly elderly and infirm and on occasions young and healthy people (including generations of that person) for no apparent reason.
Both of them are just imposing restrictions on the freedom of innocent people. Try and spin however you like but the end result is the same.

Look, my opinion on this and the reason why I support some of the things that OM and Gozit have been saying is because Canada has a habit of imposing blanket rules on things. I like to think that it's out of cowardice, firstly because of the risks of upsetting the US and secondly to stave off any accusations of prejudice. Let's not forget that Canada is the only country that imposes blanket language testing requirements on economic immigrants, regardless of where they were raised and educated.

I'm choosing to give them the benefit of the doubt here and presume that it's cowardice because the alternatives are xenophobia, authoritarianism and arrogance.

And before anybody gets shirty and accuses me of picking on Canada, I'm not. The UK can be just as bad when it comes to anally retentive rules and restrictions. It just chooses to demonstrate them in different ways. The ridiculousness of UK airport security is one such example.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 12:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Gozit is a dual Canadian and EU citizen IIRC so their options are a little wider than most.

The sacrifices you're talking about should be a matter of personal choice IMHO. They shouldn't be inflicted upon innocent people by governments with seemingly authoritarian aspirations.

What separates your attitude from people with "America: Love it or leave it" bumper stickers?
......... I suggest they don't let the door hit them in the arse on their way out of Canada.

It's difficult not to check it out. Nobody ever shuts up about the sodding thing. I'm long past being sick of hearing about it if I'm quite honest and all the cowardice, scare mongering and virtue signalling isn't really making things any better.

No matter how you want to try and spin it, forcing people into house arrest without charge is authoritarianism. When Aung San Suu Kyi was forced into home detention and self isolation in Myanmar, the regime made the argument that it was for the greater public good.
The key word being highlighted there. Essentially what you're saying is that you're quite happy to watch people suffer incarceration based on a possibility or an assumption of guilt. Whatever happened to innocence until proven guilty? It's supposed to be at the core of western justice systems.

Oh FGS - it's not prison .. they are being asked to stay within the confines of a home and garden for 14 days.......... big bloody deal.

Both of them are just imposing restrictions on the freedom of innocent people. Try and spin however you like but the end result is the same.

Look, my opinion on this and the reason why I support some of the things that OM and Gozit have been saying is because Canada has a habit of imposing blanket rules on things. I like to think that it's out of cowardice, firstly because of the risks of upsetting the US and secondly to stave off any accusations of prejudice. Let's not forget that Canada is the only country that imposes blanket language testing requirements on economic immigrants, regardless of where they were raised and educated.

I'm choosing to give them the benefit of the doubt here and presume that it's cowardice because the alternatives are xenophobia, authoritarianism and arrogance.

And before anybody gets shirty and accuses me of picking on Canada, I'm not. The UK can be just as bad when it comes to anally retentive rules and restrictions. It just chooses to demonstrate them in different ways. The ridiculousness of UK airport security is one such example.
Have you lived in ANY country that you liked or approved of the government?? If so, perhaps you should return there? But weren't you negative about other countries as well as the UK and Canada? Hmm.. this seems to reflect more on your state of mind and beliefs, rather than the countries themselves.... hmmm time for some retrospective thinking perhaps.

SIGH.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 17th 2020 at 1:00 am.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 12:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Note to self......

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 17th 2020 at 1:08 am.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Note to self......

👍🏻👍🏼👍🏻
Old Aug 17th 2020, 2:44 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Italy close different regions off from each other? Spain too? And weren't borders were closed in the EU too. As far as the USA border is concerned it's hardly cowardice, dealings with the Donald have to be circumspect and there would definitely be uproarfrom Canadians if its reopened.

apologies for the lack of coherence, my prose is lacking.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 3:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Note to self......

Yep. Especially one who exhibits all the characteristics of those he ascribes to others.

Cowardice, making up nonsensical arguments about authoritarianism to 'justify' what's really sticking in his craw, which is simply that he's been personally inconvenienced. Diddums.
Scare mongering, governments are seeking to control every aspect of our lives, forever!!
Virtue signalling, he's a freedom fighter, a lone voice in the darkness. Vive la révolution!

Still, he works hard at it, gotta give him that

Old Aug 17th 2020, 5:39 am
Sidecar Falcon

Oh FGS - it's not prison .. they are being asked to stay within the confines of a home and garden for 14 days.......... big bloody deal.
Sorry but that's what house arrest is. They're one and the same thing, it's just being branded differently.

I'm not looking to troll anybody either. Someone asked a question and I answered it. What's worrying is how insular and nationalistic many people have become over the last few months, even going so far as to tell people to leave or not return to their own country and after years of criticising others for the exact same attitudes.

We now live in a time where apparently it's perfectly acceptable to attack others who dare question your views or government policy.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 5:47 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by bats
As far as the USA border is concerned it's hardly cowardice, dealings with the Donald have to be circumspect and there would definitely be uproarfrom Canadians if its reopened.
But we're not talking about that are we. We're talking about a blanket ban on almost all foreigners and a punishment based on a presumption of guilt for all those who do somehow manage to enter Canada's borders.

And OM and Gozit are Canadians too so why are their opinions any less valid than the next person's? Is it just because they're opinions that the Canadian government and others (perhaps you) don't agree with?
​​​​
Old Aug 17th 2020, 3:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It does rather suck if the only place you can find at short notice is a small basement apartment with no AC and no garden. Still, my incoming family survived it and got the all clear from the test yesterday. Interestingly offspring #1 after two weeks of Q on a military base was not even tested before being released into the more general population at RMC, who are still operating under social distancing and small groups in any case.

I suppose there is a presumption that Canadian citizens will not want to pose a threat to the general health of the Canadian population, and so will follow the rules, something that is less likely to weigh on the conscience of non Canadians were they allowed in. Also its a convenient way to keep a tight lid on the number of people entering the candadian bubble from outside. The way the numbers are here in the US I cant blame you for wanting to keep out the unmasked masses.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 3:45 pm
Banned

Sorry but that's what house arrest is. They're one and the same thing, it's just being branded differently.

I'm not looking to troll anybody either. Someone asked a question and I answered it. What's worrying is how insular and nationalistic many people have become over the last few months, even going so far as to tell people to leave or not return to their own country and after years of criticising others for the exact same attitudes.

We now live in a time where apparently it's perfectly acceptable to attack others who dare question your views or government policy.
But we're not talking about that are we. We're talking about a blanket ban on almost all foreigners and a punishment based on a presumption of guilt for all those who do somehow manage to enter Canada's borders.

And OM and Gozit are Canadians too so why are their opinions any less valid than the next person's? Is it just because they're opinions that the Canadian government and others (perhaps you) don't agree with?
​​​​

"Conspiracy Theorists Believe"

Governments closing public and private places, urging physical distancing and requiring travellers to self-isolate for 14 days to slow the spread of COVID-19 would be viewed as state control tactics by those who believe in conspiracy theories
Staying home for 14 days....

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 17th 2020 at 3:55 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:06 pm
Sidecar Falcon

"Conspiracy Theorists Believe"

Staying home for 14 days....
You're not really answering my question though. Why is their opinion less valid than yours or anybody else's?
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

You're not really answering my question though. Why is their opinion less valid than yours or anybody else's?
Its not any less valid. everyone is entitled to their opinion. We may disagree, but it must be respected.

What I take exception to is the notion that because you disagree with a law, you can break it citing the government is being authoritarian with no evidence or information.

If you dont like this government you have the power to vote against them at the next election.

Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by i_Seeker

What I take exception to is the notion that because you disagree with a law, you can break it citing the government is being authoritarian with no evidence or information.

If you dont like this government you have the power to vote against them at the next election.
I don't have that power, I'm not Canadian and as far I know only one person has advocated or suggested breaking the law and that person hasn't commented in this thread in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.