Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I-Seeker...please could you edit the above post sorting out the quotes? It makes for a very confusing read.

Could I also ask that no-one quotes i-Seeker’s post until the quotes have been sorted?
Yes apologies for the mistaken reply. Can you give me instruction on how to correct? Thanks
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:13 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
Whether you agree with the Canadian government or not, whether you think there is a conspiracy theory keeping us all locked in, or whether you think Mickey Mouse is behind all of this; it's completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is you doing what you are told by the authorities.
I'm sorry but whether you agree with OrangeMango's opinion or not, what you have just stated there should never be the expectation of a citizen of a supposedly free and democratic country. In fact, it's precisely that sort of autocratic rule that has lead many people to flee to countries like Canada over the last century.

You might be content to live under authoritarianism but please don't assume that others will always feel the same.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Is that actually true?

I'm just asking because getting a same day delivery slot in the UK can be hard enough in most of the major urban centres and similarly to the US, Germany, Korea and Japan, the UK is a global leader in online ordering and consumer convenience whereas Canada isn't quite there yet.
I don't remember the last time that in the next 2 hours/in the next 5 hours (both options) weren't available.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes apologies for the mistaken reply. Can you give me instruction on how to correct? Thanks
This should help...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/take...rectly-873146/

basically when you deleted part of the post you are quoting, you also deleted part of the info in [xxxxx] brackets that are located at the beginning and end of the post.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but whether you agree with OrangeMango's opinion or not, what you have just stated there should never be the expectation of a citizen of a supposedly free and democratic country. In fact, it's precisely that sort of autocratic rule that has lead many people to flee to countries like Canada over the last century.

You might be content to live under authoritarianism but please don't assume that others will always feel the same.
Autocracy has nothing to do with this scenario. As a democracy, we put people in power to perform many roles. One of them is to look after us as a society and set out rules that protect us. They don't always get it right, and often over and under reach when creating laws. When we are not happy with their conduct, democracy allows us to vote them out. We also assume in a democratic society that we as the people will operate with a certain degree of common sense and tolerance.

With that said, the rules around COVID were set by the Canadian government to protect the people living in Canada. So in order to limit the amount of COVID introduced into the Canadian populous from the international community, they imposed quarantine. So trusting the authorities with their solid argument, I will follow the rules as directed. It makes sense and sounds fair.

You are referring to whether I would follow the rules blindly even if the government introduced autocratic laws and rules. The answer is no because as I stated, I would expect most people to operate with some common sense. Do you think quarantine is autocratic?
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't remember the last time that in the next 2 hours/in the next 5 hours (both options) weren't available.
Interesting to know, thank you.

I haven't tried to get a supermarket delivery in the UK recently the last I heard, availability was a bit scarce. Then again, Canada has postmates and the UK doesn't.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think iSeeker was assuming anything of the sort. He/she was just expressing his opinions on the subject, same as Orange Mango.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 14th 2020 at 10:32 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:31 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Do you think quarantine is autocratic?
Yes I do but that's largely irrelevant.

OM is a Canadian and you were telling them to shut up and do as they're told by the government and without question. I'm sorry but that is the kind of argument that I can never accept. There is nothing to separate that kind of attitude from authoritarianism.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I think iSeeker was assuming anything of the sort. He/she was just expressing his opinions on the subject, same as Orange Mango.
I'm going to have to direct you to this quote from iSeeker.

The only thing that matters is you doing what you are told by the authorities.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have to direct you to this quote from iSeeker.

​​​​​
​​​​​​
I do wish you'd stop directing me to stuff I've already read! Same answer as I gave before, it's i Seeker's opinion that people should follow the quarantine rules. Just like Orange Mango and you think they shouldn't (and god knows how many times you've called people 'sheep' etc for doing so).
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I do wish you'd stop directing me to stuff I've already read! Same answer as I gave before, it's i Seeker's opinion that people should follow the quarantine rules. Just like Orange Mango and you think they shouldn't (and god knows how many times you've called people 'sheep' etc for doing so).
I've done nothing of the sort. In fact when OM was discussing trying to circumvent them, I advised against it. That's mainly because I wouldn't want OM to get into any potential legal trouble though.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:41 pm
Concierge

I've done nothing of the sort. In fact when OM was discussing trying to circumvent them, I advised against it. That's mainly because I wouldn't want OM to get into any potential legal trouble though.
Sigh. Whatever.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

OM is a Canadian and you were telling them to shut up and do as they're told by the government and without question. I'm sorry but that is the kind of argument that I can never accept. There is nothing to separate that kind of attitude from authoritarianism.
It's very relevant. Bty dismissing that question, you're able to bolster your very weak (in my opinion) argument that following the law without question leads to an authoritative government.

Common sense and tolerance is key here. You have misquoted me incorrectly twice now. Let me clarify.

If the government makes a law stating that stabbing someone without legal justification is illegal, most people would use common sense and use the Mischief Rule (why would they have come up with this rule? What was in their minds at the time of making this piece of law?).

Well, because they don't want people running around seriously injuring and killing its citizens. I dig that, I can get behind that. Common sense prevails, and i don't don't go around stabbing people. You can say I will do as I'm told in his case, no questions.

What happens if the government come up with a law stating that everytime I see a government official I have to give them $250 for the privilege of being within 2 metres of them.

Now you're talking! Because common sense tells me that that there is no reason for losing money to a government official, just because I'm around him/her. I, nor the people would tolerate this.

Do you se where I am coming from? Thats why I follow quarantine, because it makes sense.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 1:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to know, thank you.

I haven't tried to get a supermarket delivery in the UK recently the last I heard, availability was a bit scarce. Then again, Canada has postmates and the UK doesn't.
Twice I have ordered "in the next two hours" and the order was on my doorstep 40 minutes later

In my bit we have Instacart which does a few supermarkets and the IGA supermarket does their own delivery. There's a very small place - like a minimart - that does their own. Good service but there's a premium paid.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 3:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's very relevant. Bty dismissing that question, you're able to bolster your very weak (in my opinion) argument that following the law without question leads to an authoritative government.

Common sense and tolerance is key here. You have misquoted me incorrectly twice now. Let me clarify.

If the government makes a law stating that stabbing someone without legal justification is illegal, most people would use common sense and use the Mischief Rule (why would they have come up with this rule? What was in their minds at the time of making this piece of law?).

Well, because they don't want people running around seriously injuring and killing its citizens. I dig that, I can get behind that. Common sense prevails, and i don't don't go around stabbing people. You can say I will do as I'm told in his case, no questions.

What happens if the government come up with a law stating that everytime I see a government official I have to give them $250 for the privilege of being within 2 metres of them.

Now you're talking! Because common sense tells me that that there is no reason for losing money to a government official, just because I'm around him/her. I, nor the people would tolerate this.

Do you se where I am coming from? Thats why I follow quarantine, because it makes sense.
Well said.

YAWN..... put another record on, you seem to be somewhat anti-Canada government so some of us wonder why you are contemplating returning here.. and why you continue to berate others for their wish to comply with regulations with regards to quarantine. There is an expectation that if you want to live in a country you should abide by any reasonable governance.. (i.e. what would appear reasonable to the majority of the Citizens - not the alternative position of the very very few), something you appear loath to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.