Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by bats
You can't compare land mass etc when you know that the majority of Canadians live huddled together near the USA border.

i don't see any prejudice expressed, no idea why you are ramblingg on about it.
​​​​​
New case numbers is the only valid measure here. The UK doesn't test assymptomatic people, Ontario does,.albeit voluntarily.
i don't know anyone in Canada who has has COVID, three of my family in England have been ill with it, as have two friends. Two of them tested positive long after their symptoms had gone.

I live two hours from Toronto. Peterborough has had zero new cases in over two weeks, Northumberland county has two. There is no community spread and all local cases can be traced to the GTA. Ontario's new cases are steadily going down.

Why would we want to increase our risk?
I don't know of anybody in the UK has had it and neither does anyone else I've spoken to here so either your
​​family have been extremely unlucky or you're making that up. I'll let you be the judge of which one of those scenarios is accurate.

Let's be honest though, it is absolutely a case of prejudice. Based on the percentages I provided, any passenger flying from the UK to Canada has a 99.5% chance of being all clear. Essentially based on that .5% risk, Canada is either forcing them to go through a mandatory term of isolation, similar to what a dog might be forced to endure if it was imported from a country with rabies, or in most cases Canada is preventing that person from travelling and entering the country at all.

If you start with that then what's next? Should any passengers from Africa be subject to an isolation period on arrival indefinitely due to the risk of Ebola? It's a slippery slope really isn't it.

Also factor in that the chances of a person flying into Canada with Covid from the UK are roughly equal to the chances of that same person contracting it on the street in parts of Canada. That is why the UK has removed quarantine on arrival restrictions from some countries but Canada is still not on the whitelist.

I fear what's happening here is that Canada may be unfortunately showing its true colours. It's a country that says it wants foreign workers, students, and immigrants but then on the flip side it can sometimes be extremely backwards looking and insular. This is illustrated by the requirements for language testing from English and French native immigrants and the additional accreditation hoops for international medical professionals. They've just never been as obvious about their prejudices as they acting now.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jul 18th 2020 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Worldometer makes that adjustment.
Canada - Cases per 1m = 2905. Deaths per 1M = 234
UK corresponding figures are 4319 and 666
Death figures are totally irrelevant because they're a sad byproduct of all of this and carry no additional risk to international passengers either way unless you look at it from the perspective of 'if I fly to Canada, the UK or France and have to go into hospital for this thing whilst I'm there then what are my survival chances'.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I don't know of anybody in the UK has had it and neither does anyone else I've spoken to here so either your
​​family have been extremely unlucky or you're making that up. I'll let you be the judge of which one of those scenarios is accurate.
I'd say you've been lucky rather than Bats being unlucky (I shall ignore your other scenario suggestion) . We have two friends who've died of it, both healthy men in their 40's with no underlying health conditions.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd say you've been lucky rather than Bats being unlucky (I shall ignore your other scenario suggestion) . We have two friends who've died of it, both healthy men in their 40's with no underlying health conditions.
Well it's not just me, it's everyone else I know. I returned to my office for one day this week and I was discussing this with the people there and it's the same for them too, plus any of my friends and family I've spoken with over the last few months.

Could he a geographical thing based on someone's region of the UK, I don't know.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

that's a pretty shitty thing to say. You're not worth dealing with.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by bats
that's a pretty shitty thing to say. You're not worth dealing with.
There was no insult intended or accusation being made. Look at it from a purely mathematical perspective if not from any other. Approximately 45,000 people in the UK have had their deaths attributed to covid-19. Every single one of those is a tragedy however that's from a population of 65 million. Statistically alone, the chances of one of those people being in your family or social circle are incredibly remote and the chances of more than one are even less so.

I do apologise if I offended anybody though because that wasn't what I was trying to do.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Death figures are totally irrelevant because they're a sad byproduct of all of this and carry no additional risk to international passengers either way....
Well, how do you know? Maybe their death was made more likely because of the severity of the strain or dose they picked up and perhaps they were a passenger before it fully developed into what killed them?

That aside, I also mentioned cases per 1m of the population. The case rate in the UK is almost 50% more than the rate in Canada. That makes a plane load of Brits more risky than a plane load of Canadians.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Well, how do you know? Maybe their death was made more likely because of the severity of the strain or dose they picked up and perhaps they were a passenger before it fully developed into what killed them?

That aside, I also mentioned cases per 1m of the population. The case rate in the UK is almost 50% more than the rate in Canada. That makes a plane load of Brits more risky than a plane load of Canadians.
What you're trying to do there is skew the maths to make them fit a certainly agenda whilst ignoring demographics, geography and numerous other variables that need to come into play before you can make a bold and quite frankly insulting statement like that.

Do you know, after I read Bats reply to my earlier post, I almost felt bad about the way that post was written. Now I couldn't give a ****.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What you're trying to do there is skew the maths to make them fit a certainly agenda whilst ignoring demographics, geography and numerous other variables that need to come into play before you can make a bold and quite frankly insulting statement like that..
Listen...if the rate of Covid-19 is higher in the UK than Canada - and as you well know that's the rate and not the number, in other words it's the prevalence - no skewing of figures involved, then for the period immediately before they become live cases they are live carriers without knowing it.

And if there's a 50% higher incidence among a group of people flying from the UK than from Canada, your chances of exposure are 50% greater.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 18th 2020 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Listen...if the rate of Covid-19 is higher in the UK than Canada - and as you well know that's the rate and not the number, in other words it's the prevalence - no skewing of figures involved, then for the period immediately before they become live cases they are live carriers without knowing it.

And if there's a 50% higher incidence among a group of people flying from the UK than from Canada, your chances of exposure are 50% greater.
I'm sorry but what you're saying simply isn't true. Look, just admit you don't like the British and/or Europeans and you don't want them in Canada. There's no shame in it, everyone has their little prejudices and nobody's perfect.
​​​​​​Or don't admit it and just leave it there, I don't mind either way tbh and I'm certainly not out to shame anyone.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:01 pm
Oscar nominated

...Look at it from a purely mathematical perspective
Yes let's.
Approximately 45,000 people in the UK have had their deaths attributed to covid-19. Every single one of those is a tragedy however that's from a population of 65 million.
And in Canada it's less than 9000 deaths from 38m. Well over half the population of the UK but less than a fifth of the deaths.

Is that mathematical perspective enough?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:03 pm
Oscar nominated

I'm sorry but what you're saying simply isn't true. Look, just admit you don't like the British and/or Europeans and you don't want them in Canada.

Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:10 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Yes let's.

And in Canada it's less than 9000 deaths from 38m. Well over half the population of the UK but less than a fifth of the deaths.

Is that mathematical perspective enough?
​​​​​​
Yeah, and?

America's deaths are proportionally lower than those of the UK, Italy, Spain and some other countries. Does that mean the US has done a better job at managing the situation than those countries?

Look, I know you dislike the British, you've made that pretty clear at this point but Jesus Christ. You've won anyway. Canada won't let the majority of UK citizens through its borders so what more do you want?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to look in a mirror and tell yourself you don't want yourself there Careful though, it could get messy
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

But keep on expressing prejudice towards Brits and Europeans if you want, I know that's what most Canadians, Aussies, New Zealanders and others are about these days and those supposed "allegiances" formed over the last century actually mean precisely jack shit.
Look, just admit you don't like the British and/or Europeans and you don't want them in Canada. There's no shame in it, everyone has their little prejudices and nobody's perfect.
​​​​​​Or don't admit it and just leave it there, I don't mind either way tbh and I'm certainly not out to shame anyone.
​​​​​​ Look, I know you dislike the British, you've made that pretty clear at this point but Jesus Christ. You've won anyway. Canada won't let the majority of UK citizens through its borders so what more do you want?
FFS the majority of us ARE BRITS - are you so far up your own that you don't get that this is a BRITISH EXPATS forum? If you think so poorly of a) this forum and b) Canada - why are you bothering to come here

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 18th 2020 at 4:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.