British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Quantity Surveyor / Cost Engineer / Estimator & life in CA for single male (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/quantity-surveyor-cost-engineer-estimator-life-ca-single-male-754482/)

Shings Apr 10th 2012 9:24 pm

Quantity Surveyor / Cost Engineer / Estimator & life in CA for single male

Hi all.

I've had a quick mooch around and I think I get the jist of what is needed

I'm 31 and by the time I move (next 6mths) (if I do) I will be:
MRICS
Post Grad in Construction Law
BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
6 years QS experience in Main Contracting (Utilities) and Sub Contractor (M&E)

So it seems I'll need to find a job before I leave - which is fine.

I'm currently a single bloke (for no particular reason) with my own house and no debts.

I am quite ambitious and moving to Canada is nothing to do with the way of life but more to get some other experience on a large project, perhaps in Health Care or large scale infrastructure.

I'm interested in 3 things really....

1 Job ops - what are they like, does anyone know of any companies I may be able to talk to.
2 Cost of living etc - I've looked at OZ and it seems the general rule of thumb is 2.4 my UK Salary and assume living costs of London (I.e. more expensive than Birmingham)
3 French - do I NEED to speak it, my french is petite.

Hopefully as I get some replies we can develop this thread into something that asks further questions - I have NO IDEA where's a good place to consider 'living'.

Thanks in advance.

J

iaink Apr 11th 2012 1:35 pm

Re: Quantity Surveyor / Cost Engineer / Estimator & life in CA for single male

Welcome to BE,

Outside of Quebec you wont need French.

Cost of living.. there are many (MANY) threads. Much depends where you end up, property costs vary widely, and Canada is a Vast and diverse place. Some things are cheaper, some more expensive. Overall its pretty much a wash with the UK cost of living, although in some places it might be more. 2x UK pounds salary is maybe a decent starting point / rule of thumb.

Jobs, cant help. Legal andengineering qualifications combined are a perfect storm for Cdn protectionism to kick in I suspect. Good luck..

Best place to live? Anywhere you can get a decent job to start with.

cheeky_monkey Apr 11th 2012 1:38 pm

Lots of opportunities in construction in Western Canada...Estimators are always in high demand...if thats your number one priority head west and dont bother with Eastern Canada

Shings Apr 11th 2012 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10000199)
Jobs, cant help. Legal andengineering qualifications combined are a perfect storm for Cdn protectionism to kick in I suspect. Good luck..

Come again?
(sorry)

iaink Apr 11th 2012 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Shings (Post 10000680)
Come again?
(sorry)

Do some reading up on professional association membership and qualifications in Canada... Then there is the usual "canadian experience" hurdle to clear to land a job here too.

cheeky_monkey Apr 11th 2012 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10000690)
Do some reading up on professional association membership and qualifications in Canada... Then there is the usual "canadian experience" hurdle to clear to land a job here too.

the first part wont apply because the OP is a construction professional...not being a member of Canadian professional body wont be a hindrance.

iaink Apr 11th 2012 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10000741)
the first part wont apply because the OP is a construction professional...not being a member of Canadian professional body wont be a hindrance.

So would red seal apply? that's potentially even worse.

BSc hons in surveying, plus post grad in (non canadian) law... gonna be hard to walk into a senior position without canadian contacts and qualifications is my guess.

cheeky_monkey Apr 11th 2012 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10000785)
So would red seal apply? that's potentially even worse.

BSc hons in surveying, plus post grad in (non canadian) law... gonna be hard to walk into a senior position without canadian contacts and qualifications is my guess.

Estimators don't need red seal...i work in construction with my UK professional qualifications and walked into a senior position as did many of my British counterparts...I dont know about other sectors but UK construction professionals are highly regarded and sought after.

Shings Apr 11th 2012 7:48 pm

I have been led to believe MRICS carries 'some' clout in Canada and that the QS profession is 'recognised' where as south of the border it doesn't seem to be the same.

cheeky_monkey Apr 11th 2012 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Shings (Post 10000835)
I have been led to believe MRICS carries 'some' clout in Canada and that the QS profession is 'recognised' where as south of the border it doesn't seem to be the same.

MRICS will carry some clout because there are alot of British Professionals in Canadian construction so many Canadian guys know what it is.

There are no QSs in Canada but again Canadians know what they are more so than the Americans.

Mrs-G Apr 12th 2012 2:32 am

MRICS is becoming more recognised over here, although it probably still depends on the discipline within that. QS experience should be fine. Look at Altus for a start - lots of Irish and British QS's there. BTY Group might be another option? Both of those companies have offices across the country so could be a place to start your inquiries.

Cheeky monkey - Pretty sure there are Canadian quantity surveyors (see ciqs.org) but no building surveyors here. Or I should say building surveyors are not really recognised, but I do know some here who have found work with the likes of Graham construction.

cheeky_monkey Apr 12th 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs-G (Post 10001391)
MRICS is becoming more recognised over here, although it probably still depends on the discipline within that. QS experience should be fine. Look at Altus for a start - lots of Irish and British QS's there. BTY Group might be another option? Both of those companies have offices across the country so could be a place to start your inquiries.

Cheeky monkey - Pretty sure there are Canadian quantity surveyors (see ciqs.org) but no building surveyors here. Or I should say building surveyors are not really recognised, but I do know some here who have found work with the likes of Graham construction.

There are lots of British QS here they are just called Estimators..i deal with Altus as a cost consultant on one of my project and yes they have British QS the cost engineer i deal with is from NZ...and i know Grahams very well they have lots of Expats working for them as does the company that i work for.

Mrs-G Apr 12th 2012 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10002023)
There are lots of British QS here they are just called Estimators..i deal with Altus as a cost consultant on one of my project and yes they have British QS the cost engineer i deal with is from NZ...and i know Grahams very well they have lots of Expats working for them as does the company that i work for.

Hi - I only meant that they do have the profession, and it is called QS although I agree they are often called estimators or cost consultants. I'm not a QS, but I am a surveyor although I rarely call myself that here or people think you are out in fields plotting land boundaries or something :p Easier just to go with the flow on local terminology sometimes :rofl:

To the OP - I'd say the best way to start your search is to contact some of the above companies, if they do the kind of work you want to do, or go on the RICS website and see who else there is here that's more suitable for you. You could also contact regional chapters to see if they can point you in the direction of someone, although they do get a LOT of inquiries that way, so maybe best to find contacts within a company yourself if you can. What I did, and what I know has worked for others, is just to get some local contacts, have a chat with them by phone first and see if you can arrange a quick trip out here - call it a recce :) - and meet with them for a chat. While people can get hired unseen, I'd say the chances are better if you can come over and meet a few people. As I say, it worked for me, and I know of others who have done the same.

Can't help you on the 'life in CA for a single male' but personally, but friends of mine certainly seem to have a great life in Toronto! :thumbsup: Maybe cheeky_monkey can help you out more there!

rich07 Apr 13th 2012 1:05 am

There are plenty of jobs in estimating/project management, which is pretty much what a QS would do in th UK. There is no such thing per say as a building surveyor, in my experience the technical work and report writing is carried out by Engineers here, and house surveys by home inspectors (who in many cases do not have degrees in surveying or building science). I'm not sure what qualifications are needed for engineers, but it certainly seems to pay well. It just cost me $500 for an inspection of 5 joists, that we replaced following the engineers advice, and the letter confirming it was done to his specs.

cheeky_monkey Apr 13th 2012 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by rich07 (Post 10003149)
There are plenty of jobs in estimating/project management, which is pretty much what a QS would do in th UK. There is no such thing per say as a building surveyor, in my experience the technical work and report writing is carried out by Engineers here, and house surveys by home inspectors (who in many cases do not have degrees in surveying or building science). I'm not sure what qualifications are needed for engineers, but it certainly seems to pay well. It just cost me $500 for an inspection of 5 joists, that we replaced following the engineers advice, and the letter confirming it was done to his specs.

A QS is not a Project Manager in the UK nor are they here...home inspectors here are numpties in fact the whole residential sector in Canada is a shower of shit compared to the UK.