Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quality British Stores?

Quality British Stores?

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Quality British Stores?

I've often read on here how people who are emigrating worry about missing the quality of British stores such as M&S. Thought you might like to read this.

Dear Sir or Madam
I am writing to express my deepest disappointment regarding your company and a Mother’s Day flowers delivery. The sad part about it, is that Marks and Spencer’s stores have always been high in my estimation on quality and I’m left with a very bitter sweet taste following what has happened today. I have always recommended your products to my sons when buying gifts and I have also relied on your quality assurance when buying gifts for family and friends for years.
I received a delivery of flowers today from M&S. There was no message but I imagined they must be from one of my sons who are all away from home, some abroad. Unfortunately I had to ring M&S myself to retrieve some sort of indication who the flowers were from. I was read my son’s personal message over the phone, it upset me. I wished it could have been delivered with the flowers so I could re-read it and I know he has little money and was probably out of pocket when he sent them.
Ok, someone in M&S forgot to add my message, people make mistakes, fair enough. However, if they had come from Primark, I would have thought it acceptable but was quite surprised in this lack of quality control from Marks and Spencer .
In addition to this, the flowers were sitting in water and whatever way the packaging was made up, the flowers toppled over from my table landing on the floor. There was water all the floor and scattered bits of petals which added to my distress.
I have spoken to Marks and Spencer who said they will send a £5 voucher! What an insult. Please keep it. I was hoping for some sort of apology to my son or a small reimbursement to him.
I am in the process of emigrating to another country. I quite often participate on the British Expats forums were discussions are held on comparisons of quality on stores, supermarkets cost of living etc. I have read that some people will miss some quality stores such as M&S but have also read that M&S is not what it used to be and I have often tended to disagree in the past, but today it’s proved to be true. I will be posting this letter on that forum to express my disappointment and how your company spoilt my Mother’s Day.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:50 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality British Stores?

Originally Posted by Patsy
I've often read on here how people who are emigrating worry about missing the quality of British stores such as M&S. Thought you might like to read this.

Dear Sir or Madam
I am writing to express my deepest disappointment regarding your company and a Mother’s Day flowers delivery. The sad part about it, is that Marks and Spencer’s stores have always been high in my estimation on quality and I’m left with a very bitter sweet taste following what has happened today. I have always recommended your products to my sons when buying gifts and I have also relied on your quality assurance when buying gifts for family and friends for years.
I received a delivery of flowers today from M&S. There was no message but I imagined they must be from one of my sons who are all away from home, some abroad. Unfortunately I had to ring M&S myself to retrieve some sort of indication who the flowers were from. I was read my son’s personal message over the phone, it upset me. I wished it could have been delivered with the flowers so I could re-read it and I know he has little money and was probably out of pocket when he sent them.
Ok, someone in M&S forgot to add my message, people make mistakes, fair enough. However, if they had come from Primark, I would have thought it acceptable but was quite surprised in this lack of quality control from Marks and Spencer .
In addition to this, the flowers were sitting in water and whatever way the packaging was made up, the flowers toppled over from my table landing on the floor. There was water all the floor and scattered bits of petals which added to my distress.
I have spoken to Marks and Spencer who said they will send a £5 voucher! What an insult. Please keep it. I was hoping for some sort of apology to my son or a small reimbursement to him.
I am in the process of emigrating to another country. I quite often participate on the British Expats forums were discussions are held on comparisons of quality on stores, supermarkets cost of living etc. I have read that some people will miss some quality stores such as M&S but have also read that M&S is not what it used to be and I have often tended to disagree in the past, but today it’s proved to be true. I will be posting this letter on that forum to express my disappointment and how your company spoilt my Mother’s Day.
Yes?
Who wrote it?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Okay, the missing card is unfortunate, but could have been lost during the delivery, but to complain that they fell off the table, spilling water and losing some petals, come on get real.
Is it really their fault that the recipient couldn't place the flowers in a secure position?

Kev
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trophy
Okay, the missing card is unfortunate, but could have been lost during the delivery, but to complain that they fell off the table, spilling water and losing some petals, come on get real.
Is it really their fault that the recipient couldn't place the flowers in a secure position?

Kev
Dont know who wrote it, came across it as a complaint about the decline in Marksy's quality. For those who can remember you could never fault M&S at one time.

The letter went on a bit. I edited it and the card which comes inside was blank, They usually come inside the packaging rather than lost on the way? Also, when flowers are delivered they usually are hand tied with a good quantity of water on the base so you can place them somewhere for a while before you arrange them in a vase...good idea and usually quite secure if packaged correctly.