Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

QM2 for the move- with dogs

QM2 for the move- with dogs

Old Nov 3rd 2020, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QM2 for the move- with dogs

Originally Posted by jordanleanne
I realise everything will probably be fine, but I just can't help but worry we would hope to time the move march-may time in an ideal world, especially avoiding really hot weather if we do end up travelling by plane.
I understand your concerns...I would probably try to take my dog on the QM2 rather than fly. As my dog is small I could also take her in the cabin to say, France or Amsterdam and then take her into the UK by rail/boat.
Old Nov 7th 2020, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Small Totem is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking into the same but lucky enough to have the option of dog in the plane cabin. I understand completely the stress of the dogs in cargo, but 12ish hours of stress vs 15 days is easy choice. The QM kennels you are only allowed for 8 hours a day, you will spend the whole time while not with your dog about 75% as stressed as you would be if in plane cargo. It will be costly to rent a car and as others say the one way rental is complicated enough without adding in cross border car rental (which many do not do) I look at it like ripping off a band aid, short and painful. You can ship with a pet cargo company if you want to take some of the hassle out of it.

I’m currently looking at business class on AC to take mine over when I make the move back in a couple of years (same timeline as you)
Old Nov 7th 2020, 11:46 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

What a really interesting thread...I just looked you dog up OP, what a nice looking animal, I'd never heard of one...very handsome.

I have travelled a lot and always with a dog in tow. 12 weeks on a cargo ship with a Springer Spaniel at one point.

When I came to Canada I came with three cats and a Cairn Terrier. I worried and fretted...but the animals didn't! I also knew that I would be the weakest link, so I got a company that had an excellent reputation to pick them up from my home keep them in their kennel for a couple of days and then they flew to Canada and went into kennels just by Fredericton airport and arrived at my house here a couple of days later. They weren't stressed, had been treated very well and were happy...one of my cats was elderly and I had been most worried about her. I've done the 'take the animal to the airport' bit several times and know that I get lost and fractious so I was best getting it done by a professional.

The animals' were in a considerably better mental state than I was at the end of the adventure.

Very best of luck
Old Dec 8th 2020, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

jordanleanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MillieF
What a really interesting thread...I just looked you dog up OP, what a nice looking animal, I'd never heard of one...very handsome.

I have travelled a lot and always with a dog in tow. 12 weeks on a cargo ship with a Springer Spaniel at one point.

When I came to Canada I came with three cats and a Cairn Terrier. I worried and fretted...but the animals didn't! I also knew that I would be the weakest link, so I got a company that had an excellent reputation to pick them up from my home keep them in their kennel for a couple of days and then they flew to Canada and went into kennels just by Fredericton airport and arrived at my house here a couple of days later. They weren't stressed, had been treated very well and were happy...one of my cats was elderly and I had been most worried about her. I've done the 'take the animal to the airport' bit several times and know that I get lost and fractious so I was best getting it done by a professional.

The animals' were in a considerably better mental state than I was at the end of the adventure.

Very best of luck
Thank you, he is gorgeous
I would be willing to look into pet transport companies, if they had a good reputation and I heard personal experiences. Could you share with me the company you used?
Old Oct 12th 2021, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

JToronto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Small Totem
I am looking into the same but lucky enough to have the option of dog in the plane cabin. I understand completely the stress of the dogs in cargo, but 12ish hours of stress vs 15 days is easy choice. The QM kennels you are only allowed for 8 hours a day, you will spend the whole time while not with your dog about 75% as stressed as you would be if in plane cargo. It will be costly to rent a car and as others say the one way rental is complicated enough without adding in cross border car rental (which many do not do) I look at it like ripping off a band aid, short and painful. You can ship with a pet cargo company if you want to take some of the hassle out of it.

I’m currently looking at business class on AC to take mine over when I make the move back in a couple of years (same timeline as you)
With the lie-flat seats business allows only VERY tiny dogs, perhaps a teacup yorkie or poodle. We have a 12-lb chihuahua mix and he is too big. He can go in Coach class as there is more room under the conventional seats.