Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

puppy/dog training

puppy/dog training

Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: puppy/dog training

Originally Posted by Linda P
On the subject of dog training......

We got Cassie nearly two weeks ago, and couldn't believe our luck how good she was. Eight days without a single accident, then we had her clipped and the very next day not one, but two accidents on our carpet of all places! Then it happened again today, I am not happy as I had just taken her out and she had weed and pooed, then came straight back in and pooed again on my carpet. She didn't even try to get near the door

I also think she may be coming into season....could that have anything to do with it, she is 7 months old???

Anyone got any ideas?

Linda
Hi Linda,

she could be coming into season - it usually starts around 6 months old. When we toilet trained our dogs, we found you have to have eyes in the back of your head! It's no good telling them off if they've already done it - you have to catch them in the moment Watch out for the signs that she's going to go then say your code word such as 'outside' and run outside so she follows. This worked with all 3 of them! If they have an accident and you don't see them doing it they know it's naughty so there's no point telling them off. Just clean it up and make sure you catch them next time. It took our first 2 dogs over a year as they were brother and sister and they used to set each other off!!!! It took our 3rd dog 4 - 5 months as he used to copy off the other 2. He used to wee in excitement whenever we had visitors though!

It's hard work but she'll get there

Good luck x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: puppy/dog training

Originally Posted by Biiba
Hi Linda,

she could be coming into season - it usually starts around 6 months old. When we toilet trained our dogs, we found you have to have eyes in the back of your head! It's no good telling them off if they've already done it - you have to catch them in the moment Watch out for the signs that she's going to go then say your code word such as 'outside' and run outside so she follows. This worked with all 3 of them! If they have an accident and you don't see them doing it they know it's naughty so there's no point telling them off. Just clean it up and make sure you catch them next time. It took our first 2 dogs over a year as they were brother and sister and they used to set each other off!!!! It took our 3rd dog 4 - 5 months as he used to copy off the other 2. He used to wee in excitement whenever we had visitors though!

It's hard work but she'll get there

Good luck x

I know it sounds like I am being impatient and if she were a small puppy I wouldn't think twice. But as she had already been trained and had gone 8 days without an accident....it just seemed odd to start now!

Linda
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of

I know it sounds like I am being impatient and if she were a small puppy I wouldn't think twice. But as she had already been trained and had gone 8 days without an accident....it just seemed odd to start now!

Linda
Sorry Linda, I didn't mean to make out you're being impatient

Sometimes they just have accidents and you have to watch they don't return to the same spot again! Even when you give it a good clean apparantly they can still sometimes smell where they've been. Bicarbonate of soda is really good for absorbing smells on carpets. Our dogs would sometimes be really good for ages then all of a sudden they would seem to take a step backwards. I guess it's a bit like when children wet the bed......

Hope it all works out ok though!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiba
Sorry Linda, I didn't mean to make out you're being impatient

Sometimes they just have accidents and you have to watch they don't return to the same spot again! Even when you give it a good clean apparantly they can still sometimes smell where they've been. Bicarbonate of soda is really good for absorbing smells on carpets. Our dogs would sometimes be really good for ages then all of a sudden they would seem to take a step backwards. I guess it's a bit like when children wet the bed......

Hope it all works out ok though!
I am sorry too......I wasn't implying that you thought I was impatient.
Oh dear.....now we are all apologising.

Hopefully, the accidents were just isolated cases, it's taken 4 years to get hubby to have a dog, so I need her to be on her best behaviour!

Linda
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

OK doggy training people.

New puppy (to us) - female Cocker Spaniel Cross - nearly 6 months old - plus one other dog (15 months) that we have had for a year (male Cockerpoo).

They get on very well (apart from when she tries to get to his food before he has finished - big boxing match - up on hind legs, fur flying). They run and play and chase and sleep together well. But they are constantly 'mouthing' each other - lots of clunking jaws, showing off their purly whites, noisy 'talking' to each other and biting ears. No yelping or major hurting each other it seems.

Any websites about puppies mouthing always refer to them not doing it to humans - which they don't. Is it still OK for them to beat each other up with their mouths? It's funny to watch but will they grow out of it? It's the older male dog that seems to instigate this 'play time' ..... Not sure why I'm worried really - just never witnessed it before and as I say, it happens for hours a day!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Ann my two Chis who are four and 8 months batter the crap out of each other round the house all evening. Although I have just stoped for a coffee and sat down to study again and they are both curled up by my feet

Mine also dry hump each other round the house, but that's another story.....the words "Mummy Look! Fugly and Suzie are hugging and loving each other again" often ring in my ears

Mrs M x
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

I am sorry too......I wasn't implying that you thought I was impatient.
Oh dear.....now we are all apologising.

Hopefully, the accidents were just isolated cases, it's taken 4 years to get hubby to have a dog, so I need her to be on her best behaviour!

Linda
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

New puppy (to us) - female Cocker Spaniel Cross - nearly 6 months old - plus one other dog (15 months) that we have had for a year (male Cockerpoo).

They get on very well (apart from when she tries to get to his food before he has finished - big boxing match - up on hind legs, fur flying). They run and play and chase and sleep together well. But they are constantly 'mouthing' each other - lots of clunking jaws, showing off their purly whites, noisy 'talking' to each other and biting ears. No yelping or major hurting each other it seems.

Any websites about puppies mouthing always refer to them not doing it to humans - which they don't. Is it still OK for them to beat each other up with their mouths? It's funny to watch but will they grow out of it? It's the older male dog that seems to instigate this 'play time' ..... Not sure why I'm worried really - just never witnessed it before and as I say, it happens for hours a day!
It's play time - don't worry about it.

Our two sound like a pride of lions when they play with each other, the noise is incredible and it always seems really violent, but they have never drawn blood against each other and, as soon as it starts, it's finished
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

They're just playing Ann

our youngest dog does the same with the inlaws dog! He's really placid and everyone loves him but when he goes to the in laws he goes wild with her. They're like a whirlwind, the pair of them, and they get up on their back legs boxing each other! Jake pulls a really evil 'alien face' and bares his teeth and snaps them!! They've been like that for the last 4 years!!!!

our 2 oldest dogs are brother and sister and we got them both at 8 weeks old. they used to play fight for hours until we finally told them off then they would cuddle together in sympathy and go to sleep They still do it when they go for a walk and they get excited (and they're nearly 11 now!)
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

My wee 5mth old JRT (5 kgs) has just spent an hour doing the very same thing with Angus, a big black lab (32 kgs) and whilst she gets squished every so often, she just taunts him to carry on when he is tired out. All gnashing teeth and mouthing...it can get very lively!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by G586
My wee 5mth old JRT (5 kgs) has just spent an hour doing the very same thing with Angus, a big black lab (32 kgs) and whilst she gets squished every so often, she just taunts him to carry on when he is tired out. All gnashing teeth and mouthing...it can get very lively!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks - thought they seemed happy enough. Let the gnashing continue
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Thanks folks - thought they seemed happy enough. Let the gnashing continue
Hi Ann - just had a look at your photos of Smudge and Honey!

They are soooo cute!

Lisa x
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this normal.....

We've now gone a period of a couple of weeks without the dog "going" in the house, which we're both pretty happy with.
However, he wont pee anywhere but in the back garden. I had him out for 30 mins this morning in the forest, but nothing. I brought him home, took him round the back and he "eliminated". This happens every day now.

On occasion, he'll poo in other areas, but it's usually when he's desperate and when we're walking in the middle of the street. Nice. I can only recount two occasions where's he's pee'd in an area other than the garden.

Is this a puppy thing where he's not dominant enough to mark his territory yet?

I'm glad he's just going outside, but in the summer, I dont really want him using the garden. I'd rather take him for a quick walk, otherwise the grass is gonna be ruined.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jericho
Is this normal.....

We've now gone a period of a couple of weeks without the dog "going" in the house, which we're both pretty happy with.
However, he wont pee anywhere but in the back garden. I had him out for 30 mins this morning in the forest, but nothing. I brought him home, took him round the back and he "eliminated". This happens every day now.

On occasion, he'll poo in other areas, but it's usually when he's desperate and when we're walking in the middle of the street. Nice. I can only recount two occasions where's he's pee'd in an area other than the garden.

Is this a puppy thing where he's not dominant enough to mark his territory yet?

I'm glad he's just going outside, but in the summer, I dont really want him using the garden. I'd rather take him for a quick walk, otherwise the grass is gonna be ruined.
Hi Jericho - yes it's completely normal. All 3 of ours were the same!!! I think it must be a confidence thing with all puppies.....how sad is this - me and hubby were just reminiscing that we can remember the first time our oldest dog cocked his leg and weed on a tree at our local park honestly we need to get out more!!!!! We were sooo proud of him

Seriously though - he'll grow out of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.